Any way to move the default Community folder?

Thread: Any way to move the default Community folder?

SOH-CM-2022

Any way to move the default Community folder?

Hi,
    As the title says ...
    I was running out of disk space on my 1 TB game SSD so I added a new 2 TB SSD to my system.

Now I am wondering if there is anyway to move the default community folder (or even the whole MSFS) install to the new drive and release space on my 1 TB device.

I moved my personal community folder, but it wasn't too big as I was managing my disk space issues.

thanks

I don't know about relocating the community folder, but if you're using MSFS Addon Linker, you can create a folder for 3rd party stuff (not purchased from the MSFS marketplace) basically anywhere, and have MSFS treat it exactly like the "real" community folder.

Same if you use ModManX. The Community folder stays where it is, but it contains nothing but shortcuts so it takes no space. The addons can be in up to 3 different folders anywhere on your system that the shortcuts point to.

August

SOH-CM-2024
    There sure is, but it will take you some time depending on how much you have in your Community Folder. Go to some other location on your C: (main Drive). My Documents will do. Make a new Folder and name it Community Backup. Next Move, do not Copy, All of your Community Folder installations in MSFS to the new folder you made in My Documents or wherever you wish to store them, even an external drive is fine. As I said, if you have a lot, walk off, it will take some time. Once MSFS is reinstalled to your liking, all you have to do is move the files back to your MSFS Community folder, albeit, you'll again have to wait some time.

Cazzie

You can easily move your sim by using the XBox App on your PC.

1. Single-click on your MSFS icon in the left menu.
    2. Click on the three dots.
    3. Click on the Files tab, then click Change Drive and select your new drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XBox App.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	91558
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XBox App.jpg  

Blog Entries
    I moved mine by editing the UserCfg.opt file found in the LocalCache folder. The last line "InstalledPackagesPath" tell the simulater where to store the Community and Official folders.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by azflyboy View Post
    I don't know about relocating the community folder, but if you're using MSFS Addon Linker, you can create a folder for 3rd party stuff (not purchased from the MSFS marketplace) basically anywhere, and have MSFS treat it exactly like the "real" community folder.
    Already use MSFS Addon Linker and moved my own community folder to the new drive.
    My question was about the default MSFS stuff.

thanks tho

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    You can easily move your sim by using the XBox App on your PC.

1. Single-click on your MSFS icon in the left menu.
    2. Click on the three dots.
    3. Click on the Files tab, then click Change Drive and select your new drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XBox App.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	91558
    Thanks, I should have realized it would be simple, Will give it a go.
    Gavin

Members who have read this thread: 1