Got bored with the Wellington so what about a late war NJG

Thread: Got bored with the Wellington so what about a late war NJG

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Got bored with the Wellington so what about a late war NJG

As the title said bored with the early war RAF so.... It has a field modification with the guns, MK 103 with muzzle break and two MG 151's. I'll make one with 4 MK108s for those folks wanting to inflict some harm. Oh found this a base Me262 on the web free download. Not a bad model but still converting it requires so much work. Wil need to make the pits from scratch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ME_262Ba_U1.jpg  

All of the 262s need a makeover, but a two-seater night fighter version? Yes please!

Nice, but don't get too bored with the Wellie! I agree though that doing the same thing all the time is tiring, if not boring, so I also switch around tasks. I have just worked out all the ILS facility positions for all RAF bases wwith lights, so one can place them correctly on the actual runway, not the centre of the base facility. About to have another go at an Oboe fascimile using either Steve's app or my old knickebein files. Up to now not much luck!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

ILS

Be sure to speak with Steve and get his software updates to test the system. Once you get the stuff from him I'll send you a plane with the beam approach.

His latest update, including the incorporation of the short name xxxxxx B.C., has allowed me to use it for a Lanc with the Shift + I command. I should test it more as my PC gets jittery with the app on and CTDs sometime. If you don't have the update I will send it to you. Meanwhile for Oboe, I probably have to go back to my pre Steve's app 'kmickebein' facilities which are very cumbersome. I can't seem to gerrymander his app ILS or Kb system to work.

I assume the NJG 262's would only be in any TOW III post June 1944, more likely 1945? I'll have to check on https://www.ww2.dk/ .

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Oh Yeah ! This i've been waiting on for many years ! A dream come true ! Thank you so very much ! Made my Year ! Regards,Scott

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

https://www.ww2.dk/air/njagd/njg11.htm unfortunately does not give detailed info on 10NJG11 which had the 262's.

Wiki says
    "
    10./NJG 11 under Hauptmann Kurt Welter, an experienced Wilde Sau ace, commenced operations using a handful of single-seat Me 262 jets in December 1944. Seven two-seat conversion night fighter variants, designated Me 262B-1a/U1, were available by April 1945. To make room for the radar operator fuselage fuel capacity was sacrificed, and a pair of undernose hardpoints, one either side of the nosewheel well, for fitment of a pair of standard Luftwaffe 300 litre (79 US gallon) drop tanks were fitted. Following trials with radar fitted to a single-seater the two-seaters were equipped with the mid-VHF band FuG 218 Neptun V radar, with prominent Hirschgeweih (stag's antlers) eight-dipole aerials on the nose reducing the top speed by about 30 mph.

According to some sources from January 1945 to the end of the war the Me 262's of 10./NJG 11 claimed some 43 Mosquitoes by night and 5 P-38 and Mosquito photo-reconnaissance aircraft by day, although these figures do not tally with known Allied aircraft losses.[2] Among them six Mosquitos by Feldwebel Karl-Heinz Becker and his radio operator in two weeks, two within three minutes of each other on the night of 23 March 1945.
    The last kill by III./NJG 11 came on the 21 February 1945, when Obfw Frank in a Bf 109 G-14 shot down a Lancaster near Krefeld. "

The single seat

Me262 used FuG 220, which was even more detrimental to speed than the FuG 218; now a Berlin Fug 240 no speed hit that would have been something. But the single seat Me262 did around 525 or so, so 30 mph, 495 was nothing to laugh about. The twin seat, were trainers that were converted, using Fug 218, the mph hit was much less, about 18-20 mph, that was with external tanks too. I can't imagine piloting the plane, and operating the radar too on the single seat, just like the proposed Do 335 and the Ar 234. Though there are schematics of an AR 234 with a radar operator in the fuselage between the fuel tanks....hmm a bit too toasty for me. Also, the do 335 had a two a seat trainer, if memory serves me correctly. I just like the twin seat version, so that is what we will get someday. A single seat will be simple once I complete the twin, so never say never.

WRT the AR234, we do have NJ versions for TOW III. See also

http://ww2f.com/threads/ar-234.12226/

There is a nice story in the book Luftwaffe Night Fighter Units 1943 1945 from the Luftwaffe colours series, in which lieutenant Herbert Altner from 10./NJG11 shares his memories about his experience with the Me262 night fighter.

He collected the first Me262 B-1a/U1 on 25 March 1945 and flew it to Staaken. During the night the airfield was bombarded and the hangar in which the Me262 was parked collapsed and the aircraft was badly damaged. On the 27th of March he flew his first jet night fighter sortie. He engaged a Mosquito, however due to his high speed he shot past his target. As the throttled back to fast both engines stopped. As it was not possible to restart the engines he and his radar operator had to bail out, during which his radar operator was hit by the aircraft, and fell to his death unconscious.
    On the 3 April 1945 he moved to Lubeck, from which he made his fist kill flying the Me262. It was a Mosquito, which was the prime target for the Me262s as Schwalbes were the only aircraft with sufficient speed to match the Mosquito.

On the 6th of May 1945 he flew his Me262 Red 12 for the last time, when he handed over the aircraft to the RAF at Schleswig-Jagel.

Cheers,
    Huub

WRT CFS3 Me262s we have:-

AvH_Me_262a_1a_2 wrongly designated as 10./NAGr 11 when it should be 10./NJG11 https://www.mission4today.com/index....etails&id=3860
    AvH_Me_262a_1a_8 piloted by Major Nowotny; daytime against USAAF
    AvH_Me_262a1a_U4 Me262A-1a/U4 Pulkzerstorer V899 z JV 44. Pilot Willi Hergat 27 kwietnia 1945
    Otherwise, AFAIK, only stock or ?FP.

Members who have read this thread: 0