I Said One Thing But - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Said One Thing But

NAS Argentia still under construction

With a few more Sketchup building additions like the Admin center from a photo as best as I could decipher, all the seasonal bmps are completed but blend mask was just not working no matter what help and threads I looked at or got. So I turned it over to Falcon409 who has helped me with photoreal backgrounds so much in the past. He can't see why bmp's resample but tiff's won't so he is redoing all for me and I will get it back when he gets a chance to work on it. In the meantime, I am going to fly from NAS Alameda to NAS North Island today and then maybe onto NAS Lemoore. NAS Alameda is mine and working beautifully in Prepar3D V4.5 though created for FSX(A) and the other two NAS's are MAIW sceneries. Gonna use my Virtavia P2V7 downloaded for free--thank you Virtavia for sharing it.I'm not going to use the AI provided for Lemoore though because I want this to be early 60's not 2020's. I may try and see what ai I should have for that time and create new flight plans in AIFP. Gonna have some fun today and put the scenery work aside.

NAS Argentia

Here is the complete package for NAS Argentia complete with the photoreal background and autogen by Falcon409. With much thanks Ed. Included is a README. It's a simple install and works both in FSX and Prepar3D V4.5 with a very nice fps at least with the Virtavia HU-16. I figured to test a payware since most often freeware aircraft are not a "frame-hog". At least in my case. Please try it out on your flight sims and you can post here what you find or if something needs "fixin' ". I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/inzqt...entia.zip/file

THIS DOWNLOAD I JUST FOUND OUT WHEN MY FSX BLINKED TO DESKTOP IS FOR PREPAR3D V4.5 AND V5.X I will in a little while after I convert the ADEx files to FSX and make an FSX Folder post a Mediafire link for that sim.

Thank you very much Sir. Any US military base is surely appreciated. And your attention to detail is simply outstanding. Again thank you.

Thanks Rickard,

When I first pulled up the airfield with my WV in the Spring setting, I noticed that the tires were throwing snow chunks, in the Spring? This is with P3d V5.4

What is that patch of red I see there?

Photoreal Scenery

When photoreal scenery is too white, the simulator, all of them except maybe MSFS or X-plane, put red splotches on top of it. AND you don't know it until you create all the seasons and resample it It's another one of those stupid simulator things because the ACEs team didn't anticipate or create photoreal scenery and P3D bought Microsoft Flight software from them to create P3D with. You will also find snow patches in the Spring. I researched the months seasons, snow accumulation, temperatures and daylight hours in Argentia New Foundland and I adjusted our four seasonal textures accordingly. That is why you "throw snow clumps" in the Spring.

From April until June stormy weather is less frequent. Fair and dry weather periods occur with slowly increasing frequency, but occasional bouts of wintry precipitation occur until at least mid May in most years.

NAS Argentia For FSX

Here is the download for NAS Argentia with the photoreal textures and building bgls for FSX. I just tested it out on my FSX and it works fine. Let me know how FSX Steam users fare with it please. Gray Eagle is using Prepar3D in the photos above.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h2hyw...a-FSX.zip/file

Got it, will install and test tonight or tomorrow

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

R5D Over NAS Argentia

This new scenery made me grab my Flight Replicas DC4 aircraft from P3D V4.5 and installed in it to P3D V5.4. The red (poppy field? ) is in view.

I made a xml so that it would keep all the other folders (effects/guages) in one location namely P3D5 addon folder. This particular was made by Matt Levi (Jeansy) awhile back.

This is image of an R5D that was stationed at NAS Argentia - A repaint of that one would be nice.

Last edited by gray eagle; August 15th, 2023 at 13:41.

I'll consider it, it IS cool

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    This new scenery made me grab my Flight Replicas DC4 aircraft from P3D V4.5 and installed in it to P3D V5.4. The red (poppy field? ) is in view.

I made a xml so that it would keep all the other folders (effects/guages) in one location namely P3D5 addon folder. This particular was made by Matt Levi (Jeansy) awhile back.

This is image of an R5D that was stationed at NAS Argentia - A repaint of that one would be nice.

I am not a good artist. I use free clipart for stuff like this and could not find any that would work. I would like it too. If you reach out to Jan Kees Blom maybe he would do it if he is interested in the aircraft.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; August 15th, 2023 at 15:48.

Here Is An Update

I worked all day on a seaplane ramp from drawings and information from the 1930's I found and IMO it turned out beautifully. Then I had to go back into Model Converter X and add a platform so that it doesn't sink into the water or the apron. No matter how hard I tried and it was ALL DAY, the inclined ramp just didn't work so I went and had dinner and pondered the problem. I was almost ready to give up and went back in and removed the incline and sadly the beautiful pilings because you can't see them in any flight simulator I know of because the water is opaque not translucent. I positioned them onto aprons and they work. Here is the update for Prepar3D V4 and 5. FSX tomorrow. I've had all the fs I can take for one day LOL! They detail the apron like a seaplane ramp. It is water-level and a "hard deck".

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kp5q6...pdate.zip/file
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; August 15th, 2023 at 15:40.

I know he is a great artist but I think he is into mainly MSFS; I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. I think he or whomever would need additional screenshots to make that livery.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I am not a good artist. I use free clipart for stuff like this and could not find any that would work. I would like it too. If you reach out to Jan Kees Blom maybe he would do it if he is interested in the aircraft.

With the seaplane ramp that would be a chance for me to try out my PILOTS Clipper Pro I also have a HU-16 that may be appropriate for that area as well.

I worked all day on a seaplane ramp from drawings and information from the 1930's I found and IMO it turned out beautifully. Then I had to go back into Model Converter X and add a platform so that it doesn't sink into the water or the apron. No matter how hard I tried and it was ALL DAY, the inclined ramp just didn't work so I went and had dinner and pondered the problem. I was almost ready to give up and went back in and removed the incline and sadly the beautiful pilings because you can't see them in any flight simulator I know of because the water is opaque not translucent. I positioned them onto aprons and they work. Here is the update for Prepar3D V4 and 5. FSX tomorrow. I've had all the fs I can take for one day LOL! They detail the apron like a seaplane ramp. It is water-level and a "hard deck".

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kp5q6...pdate.zip/file

With the seaplane ramp that would be a chance for me to try out my PILOTS Clipper Pro I also have a HU-16 that may be appropriate for that area as well.

My research said that the Navy flew the HU-16 and also the USCG had one or more stationed there as well. I am going to research and see if any Mariners flew from there before the HU-16. They did but pre-WWII from the markings in the photo I found. I also found out that a full squadron of 8 of the P5M Marlin of VP56 was stationed there in the 1950's and have a photo and comments from one of the crew on their website.. Virtavia has a native FSX that is on sale at PC Aviator that I am contemplating. Looks nice. I love seaplanes. My Dad was stationed aboard an AVP patrolling the Caribbean and the Panama Canal Zone in WWII. He talked about Baranquilla Colombia and I just found a paper online that there was an NAS there. His ship serviced PBY Catalinas.

Like one of these?

I am going to research and see if any Mariners flew from there before the HU-16. They did but pre-WWII from the markings in the photo I found. I also found out that a full squadron of 8 of the P5M Marlin of VP56 was stationed there in the 1950's and have a photo and comments from one of the crew on their website.. Virtavia has a native FSX that is on sale at PC Aviator that I am contemplating.
    Last edited by gray eagle; August 16th, 2023 at 07:06.

Richard, Here's what I did at Twitchell. . .besides the main airport it also had a float plane area along the river. I made a wedge (your slant and length would be lower and longer) and in MCX I set the texture as "auto-platform" allowing airplanes to come off the water, up the ramp and into the hangar.

Ramp_Suggestion by Ed Wells, on Flickr
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Then there is this one

AKA Fartin' Martin.

Updates

Here is I think the final updates for NAS Argentia. You will need to download the original package from one of the two links above for the proper sim. It is as best as I can tell from comments working in all the sims except MSFS and Xplane.

Follow the README in the Update folder. You do not need to install the original package into the sim until you are ready to after updates are installed and original files removed per instructions. Here are the two download links:

FSX and P3D V1,2,3---https://www.mediafire.com/file/sepvf...pdate.zip/file

P3D V4 and V5---- https://www.mediafire.com/file/3wynt...pdate.zip/file

Maybe we can get together on JoinFS sometime and fly together out of here.

As always please let me know if you are having any problems.

Ooooops...when yesterday went from serene to chaotic I forgot to upload the original for FSX so here is THAT link:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/gl1g3...a-FSX.zip/file

gray eagle, I like the NAS Oppama paint job on your PBM. Is that available for download anywhere?
    AKA Fartin' Martin.

Oppama?

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    gray eagle, I like the NAS Oppama paint job on your PBM. Is that available for download anywhere?
    I saw the paintjob too and had to look up Oppama. I found out that if I am correct it is the name of the Airbase in Yokosuka. I was in Yokosuka for a week while America was inport. Had a great time in Tokyo and Kamakura. 50 years ago Kamakura was the "Flowerdrum Song" village unspoiled. Was there at Cherry Blossom Time, really beautiful. I don't know what it looks like now. Sadly all my memories were on 35mm slides that got drowned in a flood. I can still picture it in my mind though. Went on a walking tour of the village and found a small shop where two little old ladies, traditional Japanese in kimonos were hand making geisha dolls that I bought two of for a ridiculous amount of yen...one from Mom and one for Grandma that they kept for all the years I remember. I believe that my sister has them now.

It is a freeware package that was upgraded for FSX and it works in P3DV5.4 just fine. The sound folder defaults to a Douglas DC3 sound which is not a correct sound/engine for this
    aircraft - early models used R2600 then R2800 - You can google those engines and usually it says what real aircraft those engines were used in.

Here is the link

https://simviation.com/1/search?subm...iner&x=22&y=10

It will be the 2nd file on that page. The file name is Martin-Alphasim-_PBM_Mariner_X.zip

Martin PBM-5A and 3D Mariner Package. Works in both FS2004 and FSX. The Martin Model 162 Mariner was a larger, more capable flying boat than the far more popular consolidated PBY Catalina. The first PBM-1 flew in 1939, and underwent many design changes -- including the adoption of a dihedral in the tail design -- to overcome flight performance and stability issues. PBM-3s were delivered from 1942-44 in a variety of configurations, including anti-submarine, transport, and patrol versions. The final variant, the PBM-5, used the 2,100 HP Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engine, and was given amphibious capabilities. In all, 1,366 of all types were built, with production ceasing in 1949. The last PBM was retired in 1956, but the type continued in Coast Guard duty and with other nations for many years afterward. FSX thumbs added and panel tweaked by Soaring Falcon. Ex Payware from Alphasim.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Last edited by gray eagle; August 16th, 2023 at 15:34.

Yeah, I too had to look up Oppama and found that out as well.

I saw the paintjob too and had to look up Oppama. I found out that if I am correct it is the name of the Airbase in Yokosuka. I was in Yokosuka for a week while America was inport. Had a great time in Tokyo and Kamakura. 50 years ago Kamakura was the "Flowerdrum Song" village unspoiled. Was there at Cherry Blossom Time, really beautiful. I don't know what it looks like now. Sadly all my memories were on 35mm slides that got drowned in a flood. I can still picture it in my mind though. Went on a walking tour of the village and found a small shop where two little old ladies, traditional Japanese in kimonos were hand making geisha dolls that I bought two of for a ridiculous amount of yen...one from Mom and one for Grandma that they kept for all the years I remember. I believe that my sister has them now.

gray eagle, thanks for directing me to the download link. I had always thought that Oppama was a an OLF (outlying field) somewhere around Tokyo or Sagami Bay. I only figured out earlier this year that it was the former IJN Yokosuka NAS, home base for all those aircraft you see in pics with the katakana "Yo" (ヨ) character on the tail.

That's All Folks

Falcon409 spent the last two days making an inclined ramp for Argentia and it looked really nice but one problem that I can't fix and that is everyone has to have the exact sim and the exact same computer and that's never going to happen. A custom mesh of the area at $$$$$ for software isn't an option either. On his computer in FSX the ramp looks great; on my computer in FSX it is under water and in P3D V4.5 it has holes in the surface which I ran into with my attempts before and why I just extended an apron out into the bay. So we have extended aprons out into the bay to taxi on and off of. I tried for one last time this after with the ramp I had made following his lead and trying to lower its level in Model ConverterX which worked great but when I got it level with the apron it sank into the bay leaving just the apron. At this point enjoy the airport in your sim and have fun flying. BTW no one at FSDevelopers ever answered me as to why water runways in the sims look like concrete surfaces.

Water Landing at NAS Argentia:

CWAR_Landing-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-003 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-007 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-008 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-006 by Ed Wells, on Flickr
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

That IS Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Water Landing at NAS Argentia:

CWAR_Landing-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-003 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-007 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-008 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-006 by Ed Wells, on Flickr
    Your ramp on your computer looks great. Thanks again for taking the time to make it. If you want to post YOUR link any of the guys who want to see if it works on their system can try it. It DOES look a lot nicer than just an extended runway.

Members who have read this thread: 2