http://

OOPS The complete link is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Here is all sea-blue VP-21 LH-1 at NAS Argentia

http://

It looks like it but

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    OOPS The complete link is missing.
    The link is actually from Imgur for the photo upload. I will pack up the texture and also give you a readme to add to the aircraft.cfg so you won't have any problems. I just downloaded John Stinstrom's NAS Brunswick, ME and also Prestwick Scotland both places where I have photos in the VP-21 photo archives. At the end of their career they were stationed at NAS North Island in 1965, I am PM'ing you a link to check out. I think you'll enjoy it.

Okay, I read the pm; lots of photos there. Looking forward to the other VP-21 livery. Thanks.

The link is actually from Imgur for the photo upload. I will pack up the texture and also give you a readme to add to the aircraft.cfg so you won't have any problems. I just downloaded John Stinstrom's NAS Brunswick, ME and also Prestwick Scotland both places where I have photos in the VP-21 photo archives. At the end of their career they were stationed at NAS North Island in 1965, I am PM'ing you a link to check out. I think you'll enjoy it.

Full Squadron AI

Okay, I read the pm; lots of photos there. Looking forward to the other VP-21 livery. Thanks.
    I found Jaap De Baare's AI P2V-7 Neptune at MAIW and downloaded the package. They have updated it so it works in all the sims. Also got NAS Keflavik 1962 with AI flight plans so I am going to make up a package for myself because MAIW don't allow sharing. The 1962-63 textures are like LH-6 with the seablue, white and gray. I will post a link to the all sea blue and a gray and white from 1965 tomorrow. Then I am going to do some Neptune flying before I tackle 10 or 12 repaints and flight plans.

Sounds like you might be making some flight plans for that AI P2V. Wonder where they patrolled when they were up at Argentia? I would think that your flight plans are your flight plans.
    Don't understand why MAIW would not allow sharing. Never heard of such a thing.

I found Jaap De Baare's AI P2V-7 Neptune at MAIW and downloaded the package. They have updated it so it works in all the sims. Also got NAS Keflavik 1962 with AI flight plans so I am going to make up a package for myself because MAIW don't allow sharing. The 1962-63 textures are like LH-6 with the seablue, white and gray. I will post a link to the all sea blue and a gray and white from 1965 tomorrow. Then I am going to do some Neptune flying before I tackle 10 or 12 repaints and flight plans.

Simonize that P2V

Hi RIchard

I took the liberty to change out the prop spinner to what you see here, IMHO it matched the upper fuselage area.

This is what it use to look like.

Changed them to white.

Then I got the line crew to Simonize the aircraft. Has that Blue Angels luster.

This would be another candidate for a repaint; still another VP-21 bird. Looks like maybe it had chrome prop spinners. Nice

That was my next repaint

This would be another candidate for a repaint; still another VP-21 bird. Looks like maybe it had chrome prop spinners. Nice I have been able to do chrome spinners but they only work in Prepar3D not FSX. I am going to add the spotlight that again is only P3D in MDCx. I will send you the model changed. I have the spade for the tail already.

In looking at all the different photos from 1950's through the 1990's it was interesting to see that the squadron leader's aircraft changed not just a newer model. One of the ones I saw was Modex 1 and the same serial was Modex 7 same year. Any input from you or Mike71?

In looking at all the different photos from 1950's through the 1990's it was interesting to see that the squadron leader's aircraft changed not just a newer model. One of the ones I saw was Modex 1 and the same serial was Modex 7 same year. Any input from you or Mike71?
    Squadrons rotate airplanes just like they (and ships etc) rotate people. As an aircraft model evolves with upgrades in its systems, and also builds up time on their airframe and engines they go through a depot-level overhaul / upgrade process. In those days complete overhauls and major upgrade work was done at a Naval Air Rework Facility (NARF); major ones were at Norfolk, North Island and Jacksonville. The process reflected a 3-level maintenance structure: organizational, intermediate and overhaul levels of capability, implemented in squadron, AIMD and depot skills and facilities. AIMD (Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department) is a whole subject in itself and you are likely aware of it from your time on CVA-66.

Powers that be (in those days the Type Commanders or TYCOMS) try to see that squadrons have a reasonably consistent stable of aircraft. Typically, squadrons that are being worked up to deploy get a rotation of overhauled / upgraded airplanes, the older ones being sent for rework or possibly to the Reserves if still useable in that role.

When a squadron gets an upgraded or new aircraft it is freshly painted in the latest Bureau of Aeronautics / NAVAIR scheme, but no squadron markings. The squadron airframes shop does the squadron paint job. There were / are guidelines, but in general pretty loose.

My guess is the CO's new plane is exactly that, the old one moved down in the pecking order. The old one will likely be pulled out soon enough to be sent off for overhaul, upgrades or the Reserves, and be replaced by a newer, upgraded one.

Patrol squadrons did/do deploy on a rotation basis just like carrier-based squadrons, and the Navy wants them to have the latest equipment to do the job. Major upgrades and overhauls of a whole stable of one type of aircraft in the whole Navy inventory obviously cannot be done all at once, so this rotation process was very typical.

In conjunction with this we have to remember people - squadrons getting new or upgraded airplanes have to send mechs and operators off to school or have in place training as part of the work up - deployment process.

Always appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Squadrons rotate airplanes just like they (and ships etc) rotate people. As an aircraft model evolves with upgrades in its systems, and also builds up time on their airframe and engines they go through a depot-level overhaul / upgrade process. In those days complete overhauls and major upgrade work was done at a Naval Air Rework Facility (NARF); major ones were at Norfolk, North Island and Jacksonville. The process reflected a 3-level maintenance structure: organizational, intermediate and overhaul levels of capability, implemented in squadron, AIMD and depot skills and facilities. AIMD (Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department) is a whole subject in itself and you are likely aware of it from your time on CVA-66.

Powers that be (in those days the Type Commanders or TYCOMS) try to see that squadrons have a reasonably consistent stable of aircraft. Typically, squadrons that are being worked up to deploy get a rotation of overhauled / upgraded airplanes, the older ones being sent for rework or possibly to the Reserves if still useable in that role.

When a squadron gets an upgraded or new aircraft it is freshly painted in the latest Bureau of Aeronautics / NAVAIR scheme, but no squadron markings. The squadron airframes shop does the squadron paint job. There were / are guidelines, but in general pretty loose.

My guess is the CO's new plane is exactly that, the old one moved down in the pecking order. The old one will likely be pulled out soon enough to be sent off for overhaul, upgrades or the Reserves, and be replaced by a newer, upgraded one.

Patrol squadrons did/do deploy on a rotation basis just like carrier-based squadrons, and the Navy wants them to have the latest equipment to do the job. Major upgrades and overhauls of a whole stable of one type of aircraft in the whole Navy inventory obviously cannot be done all at once, so this rotation process was very typical.

In conjunction with this we have to remember people - squadrons getting new or upgraded airplanes have to send mechs and operators off to school or have in place training as part of the work up - deployment process.
    I always appreciate your shared knowledge to make flight simming more real for those of us who want it to be. I saw in the VP-21 serial number histories available online that aircraft were sent to NAS Alameda for O&R which I Googled to mean Overhaul and maintenance as you said above. All clear now. I'll have to rotate aircraft in my sim from time to time. Thanks again, Mike71. Also saw deployments to Keflavik, Prestwick, Brunswick and Blackbushe in the UK. Makes flying fun and variable scenery.

I always appreciate your shared knowledge to make flight simming more real for those of us who want it to be. I saw in the VP-21 serial number histories available online that aircraft were sent to NAS Alameda for O&R which I Googled to mean Overhaul and maintenance as you said above. All clear now. I'll have to rotate aircraft in my sim from time to time. Thanks again, Mike71. Also saw deployments to Keflavik, Prestwick, Brunswick and Blackbushe in the UK. Makes flying fun and variable scenery.
    Glad to help before us old guys pass on (Mike71 is now 80!).

I would also note that often VP squadrons deployed as dets to different places at different times, not necessarily the whole squadron. It depended on the overall ASW posture at the time.

This was similar to A-3 squadrons like VAP-61/VAP-62, VAQ and EKA-3B outfits aboard various carriers.

I Saw That Too

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Glad to help before us old guys pass on (Mike71 is now 80!).

I would also note that often VP squadrons deployed as dets to different places at different times, not necessarily the whole squadron. It depended on the overall ASW posture at the time.

This was similar to A-3 squadrons like VAP-61/VAP-62, VAQ and EKA-3B outfits aboard various carriers.
    I noticed that in the VP-18 histories which I first looked at because Virtavia included that repaint with their digital download in the purchase as well as VP-1 among a bunch of foreign and 2 firefighters.

I know...76 in December. Us Vietnam vets are the old guys now with WWII and Korea almost all gone on to glory or...

Great set of repaints.

Other than the Neptune repaint in post #67, are their download links for the others? The earlier repaint link for the Albatross doesn't seem to work anymore.

Thanks.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Great set of repaints.

Other than the Neptune repaint in post #67, are their download links for the others? The earlier repaint link for the Albatross doesn't seem to work anymore.

Thanks.
    I just tried this and itworked for me so I am posting here for you to try again:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2fr4b...entia.zip/file

I will post the two Neptune repaint links. They were not posted before because I did not have permission from Virtavia to share them until this morning. Phil has been really good to me and i did not want to "step on his toes".

Check back in a little while it's lunch time after 3 hours of errands up to now. LOL!

It would be nice to add a couple parking spots to this scenery. I have GSX and if there were some parking spots then GSX would supply ground support equipment for any
    aircraft that was spotted at a declared parking spot. This aircraft (R5D) is very similar to what I flew in back in `55 when and landed at NAS Argentia.

Update..

Final one I hope. Here are three new bgl's for CWAR to correct errors Gray Eagle and I have been working on together by email so no delays in transmissions. Replace the three bgl's in your scenery folder with these. You will probably have to delete the three that are in there and then paste these in their place. Anyone else let me know issues if any and then I will upload this to the Warbirds Library as a finished working complete scenery. These bgl's were created in ADEx P3DV4 so if they are not compatible with the FSX version let me know I need to compile 3 for that version. Hope you are all having a good day. Out for some errands will check back in a while.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7bpwm...+Bgls.zip/file

---- Anyone else let me know issues if any and then I will upload this to the Warbirds Library as a finished working complete scenery. These bgl's were created in ADEx P3DV4 so if they are not compatible with the FSX version let me know I need to compile 3 for that version. --

Looks great except in P3D4.5 there are red spots in some ramp areas and some along the coast line --Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CWAR P3D4.5.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	326.2 KB 
ID:	91654

Photoreal anomaly

Final one I hope. Here are three new bgl's for CWAR to correct errors Gray Eagle and I have been working on together by email so no delays in transmissions. Replace the three bgl's in your scenery folder with these. You will probably have to delete the three that are in there and then paste these in their place. Anyone else let me know issues if any and then I will upload this to the Warbirds Library as a finished working complete scenery. These bgl's were created in ADEx P3DV4 so if they are not compatible with the FSX version let me know I need to compile 3 for that version. Hope you are all having a good day. Out for some errands will check back in a while.

When something photoreal or autogen is "too white which is pure white) it gets red spots like that which is a bummer. If it is a building I can sometimes put something NOT pure white on top and it will cure that but I don't know what to do about the coastline which is a blender mask that was a lot of trouble for Falocon409 to create. If Ed reads this maybe he has some thoughts.

Argentia FSX Updates

I should have known but just found out anyway that FSX bgls will go up to P3D V4 but not backwards compatible so I just compiled the three bgl's in ADEx FSX and also provided the bgl and texture for the water tower which I saw on the map and added to both P3D and FSX. If you do not have any of my other NAS sceneries in Prepar3D you may not have the water tower. You can download THIS linke and just use the water tower scenery bgl and texture dds. I only have it's location on the map and have not seen any photos of it at NAS Argentia. If anyone has or can find a photo please post it here. I have THIS water tower and also one I created that is an older Navy water tower which I made for my WWII NAS Kaneohe Bay Scenery for my WWII seaplanes back when I was doing them. Kaneohe Bay is now MCAS and wanted the old version. Chances are that if the Navy Seebees did not replace the WWII one(s) they were still there until base closure but photo evidence would be nice.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fbqf8...+Bgls.zip/file

When something photoreal or autogen is "too white which is pure white) it gets red spots like that which is a bummer. If it is a building I can sometimes put something NOT pure white on top and it will cure that but I don't know what to do about the coastline which is a blender mask that was a lot of trouble for Falocon409 to create. If Ed reads this maybe he has some thoughts.
    I can revisit the image and dull down those areas then recompile and send you the new bgl. I miss those sometimes.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Sounds Good

Thank you Ed, appreciate all your help always. For everyone who has downloaded NAS Argentia, here is the updated imagery.bgl from Falcon409 who fixed this right away for us all:
    here is the download link:https://app.box.com/s/69w7ysv0qbl7bw885383bango9ccs5kf

Photos Of The Watertower

I sifted through all kinds of photos and I found this:

After blowing it up in Photoshop I saw not one but TWO water towers and they are NOT the one I included so again I am updating and will put together two folders with instructions for P3D and FSX with my Kaneohe Bay watertower which is like these not the more modern one. Someday it will be complete...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I can revisit the image and dull down those areas then recompile and send you the new bgl. I miss those sometimes.
    Thanks much - perfect in P3D4.5!!

Members who have read this thread: 2