I Said One Thing But - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Said One Thing But

NAS Argentia Albatross

I created this repaint for the Virtavia Payware HU-16 Albatross which I dug out of my hanger from a photo I found online. It is posed at NAS Argentia from my download/update for Prepar3D V4.5 and 5.

Hi Richard,

That is cool. I have the Virtavia HU-16 and with one livery as NAS Cubi Pt (NAS Olanagpo ) We used to zap (stencil) transient aircraft with a NAS Olanagop stencil.
    I was stationed at NAS Cubi '67-69 + many ports of call there with a few squadrons embarked on different carriers. I loaded JATO on this bird and watched the JATO cans kick
    this plane airborne in short order. I'd sure like a copy of your Argentia livery.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I created this repaint for the Virtavia Payware HU-16 Albatross which I dug out of my hanger from a photo I found online. It is posed at NAS Argentia from my download/update for Prepar3D V4.5 and 5.

Might you of "borrowed" this one from the NAS Whidby IS livery? This is P3DV5.4

I Did

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Might you of "borrowed" this one from the NAS Whidby IS livery? This is P3DV5.4

The Neptune paintkit has colored layers but the HU16 had none just details so it was much easier. That's dumb. It was totally covered 100% because I saw the original registration under the 7906 and then it went away. You can see above that V4.5 didn't do that. The rudder shows but not the horizontal stab the rest of Whidbey IS. This happens if it is in the alpha channel but I checked that and it's not. The alpha channel is just reflective.

The Lousy Stinker

When I opened up the alpha channel in Photoshop and enlarged it you can see the leftover of Whidbey Is on the rudder which was not readily apparent in DXTBMP so I have fixed it from the paintkit. It should work now: https://www.mediafire.com/file/33zr9...6_4_t.dds/file Just replace the HU16_4_t.dds with this one and then LMK if it's all fixed in your sim.

Here is the link to the texture for the Virtavia HU-16 Albatross which works in all sims except MSFS and X-plane.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x8zcu...entia.zip/file make the substitution above.

Thanks Gray Eagle for checking it out and catching this.

Okay, I replace the texture with the latest one you provided. No change if the tail is viewed from the port side where the sun is directly illuminating the paint and original lettering underneath.

On the starboard side the old lettering is not illuminated by direct sunlight.

If there is a specular or bump, check those as well!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I'm Stumped

I just checked mine in V4.5 and its ok. I also downloaded the patch from the Mediafire link and it's ok too. I don't know why you still get that. I am going to zip up my current texture that I have the change in and post a new download to try. If that doesn't work then I can't explain it.

here is a link to a new download that is fixed so no patch is needed: https://www.mediafire.com/file/2fr4b...entia.zip/file

Delete the one in your HU16 folder and replace with this one which is patched.

Doesn't have either

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    If there is a specular or bump, check those as well!
    Thank you for the hint Ed but there is neither in the texture.Argentia folder. In the texture folder which is shared by all there are bump and specular but they are totally generic. The HU16_4_t that is in there is also generic and all gray no type on it at all and it's replaced by the HU16_4_t.dds of whatever texture is being used.

From what I can tell on my NAS CUBI repaint that Jeansy made the lettering went on the HU16_4_t.dds file and I can see where you put the ARGENTIA lettering but I don't see any of the old Whidby
    lettering. I don't see any HU16_4_spec.dds file like the other textures have. In the Whidby files the HU16_4_spec.dds file I could see where the Whidby lettering is also there. So maybe
    a HU16_4_spec.dds is needed for the Argentia that shows the Argentia lettering as well. It sounds logical to me.

I Can See

From what I can tell on my NAS CUBI repaint that Jeansy made the lettering went on the HU16_4_t.dds file and I can see where you put the ARGENTIA lettering but I don't see any of the old Whidby
    lettering. I don't see any HU16_4_spec.dds file like the other textures have. In the Whidby files the HU16_4_spec.dds file I could see where the Whidby lettering is also there. So maybe
    a HU16_4_spec.dds is needed for the Argentia that shows the Argentia lettering as well. It sounds logical to me.
    The Argentia is using the generic specular and bump files from the generic texture folder which do not have ANY thing on them just dark gray square specular or light blue square bump. they might enhance the texture but reading the Repainting in P3D I downloaded it is not needed with the ones in the shared texture folder unless I am mistaken.

Much better. What ever you did, fixed it. Yay!!...

I just checked mine in V4.5 and its ok. I also downloaded the patch from the Mediafire link and it's ok too. I don't know why you still get that. I am going to zip up my current texture that I have the change in and post a new download to try. If that doesn't work then I can't explain it.

here is a link to a new download that is fixed so no patch is needed: https://www.mediafire.com/file/2fr4b...entia.zip/file

Delete the one in your HU16 folder and replace with this one which is patched.

So Glad

Much better. What ever you did, fixed it. Yay!!...

It's looking good. I wouldn't have known what else to do.

P2V-7 Neptune of VP-21

Just finished this repaint from photos I downloaded from the VP-21 website. This is the Virtavia Lockheed P2V-7 for FSX and P3D in P3D V4.5 at NAS Argentia on the ramp. This is created from the paintkit so no pasteup errors like the Albatross.

Last edited by tgycgijoes; August 21st, 2023 at 16:33.

Wow... That looks nice...Now I'm going to have to bring my P2V from P3D4.5 over to P3D5.4
    I managed to crawl around inside one of those at NAS Barbers Point a long time ago. The crew space is tight inside.

Just finished this repaint from photos I downloaded from the VP-21 website. This is the Virtavia Lockheed P2V-7 for FSX and P3D in P3D V4.5 at NAS Argentia on the ramp. This is created from the paintkit so no pasteup errors like the Albatross.

Muddle Headed

Wow... That looks nice...Now I'm going to have to bring my P2V from P3D4.5 over to P3D5.4
    I managed to crawl around inside one of those at NAS Barbers Point a long time ago. The crew space is tight inside.
    After I posted this I realized that the Modex "6" on the nose was missing so I went back in and added it. VP-21 painted them larger than some others. I tried to edit the photo but SOH wouldn't let me or i didn't know how. In any case it is complete now. I will post it a little later.

Here is VP-21 LH6 at NAS Argentia 1963

I spent the last couple hours tweaking this so that things all aligned; saved it and compressed it to download:

http://

Here is the download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/h3h93...P21-6.zip/file

I spent the last couple hours tweaking this so that things all aligned; saved it and compressed it to download:

http://

Here is the download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/h3h93...P21-6.zip/file
    Looks great; I grew up on the coast of Maine about 30 miles south of NAS Brunswick and my dad would take me to their annual open house/air show every year. I even saw a Maine ANG F-89D take off - what a cloud of black smoke!!

When I was in high school I could drive there myself. In my Sophomore year I talked to two static display P2V-7 pilots who happened to be the CO and XO of a squadron. They encouraged me to look into NROTC and the Naval Academy and keep doing well in school, which I did.

I owe them a lot. Every adult should remember that a little encouragement and advice can go a long way in influencing youngsters.

Great Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Looks great; I grew up on the coast of Maine about 30 miles south of NAS Brunswick and my dad would take me to their annual open house/air show every year. I even saw a Maine ANG F-89D take off - what a cloud of black smoke!!

When I was in high school I could drive there myself. In my Sophomore year I talked to two static display P2V-7 pilots who happened to be the CO and XO of a squadron. They encouraged me to look into NROTC and the Naval Academy and keep doing well in school, which I did.

I owe them a lot. Every adult should remember that a little encouragement and advice can go a long way in influencing youngsters.
    I was CO of C.W. Nimitz Squadron, U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps for 6 years. I was able to get one of my cadets an appointment to USNA that she graduated from and is now the weapons officer aboard an Arleigh Burke DD. One of my cadets is a SEAL. I am very proud of all the cadets I had the opportunity to mentor. My last summer training was out to San Diego with over 100 cadets and officers under my command with the RIMPAC 1992 "fleet" of Australian, Canadian, Japanese and USN ships. I retired shortly after coming home and turned over command to my XO.

P2V Props

RIchard,

IMHO when the engines shutdown, the props take way to long to fully stop, ergo I adjusted the Prop MOI so that they would stop spinning sooner rather then the lengthy time they were
    programed:

[propeller]
    thrust_scalar=1.000
    propeller_type=0
    propeller_diameter=14.33
    propeller_blades=4
    ///propeller_moi=153.000
    propeller_moi=070.00 <<<< They stop sooner then take all day to stop spinning.

I think the inertia was set too high.

RIchard,

IMHO when the engines shutdown, the props take way to long to fully stop, ergo I adjusted the Prop MOI so that they would stop spinning sooner rather then the lengthy time they were
    programed:

[propeller]
    thrust_scalar=1.000
    propeller_type=0
    propeller_diameter=14.33
    propeller_blades=4
    ///propeller_moi=153.000
    propeller_moi=070.00 <<<< They stop sooner then take all day to stop spinning.

I think the inertia was set too high.
    thanks for that, I'll change mine.

I like to change the beta min to 5.000 instead of 15.000 which has it running down the taxiway.

I cannot get the VP-21 to show in preview much less fly it. BTW I noticed that the crew.dds file is missing (something that the other liveries had in common)

I tried to make my own entry in the aircraft.cfg and no show. I changed the texture folder name to texture.VP21 instead.

[fltsim.X]
    title=P2V-7 Neptune VP-21
    sim=neptune
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=VP-21
    kb_checklists=p2v_check
    kb_reference=
    atc_id=
    ui_manufacturer=Lockheed
    ui_type=P2V-7 Neptune
    ui_variation=VP-21, NAS Argencia NF
    ui_typerole="Anti-Submarine Warfare"
    ui_createdby="Virtavia"
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_airline=Navy
    atc_flight_number=
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
    visual_damage=0
    description= VP-21 (1943–1969) VP-21 was a Patrol Squadron of the U.S. Navy. The squadron was established as Bombing Squadron 111 (VB-111) on 30 July 1943, redesignated Patrol Bombing Squadron 111 (VPB-111) on 1 October 1944, redesignated Patrol Squadron 111 (VP-111) on 15 May 1946, redesignated Heavy Patrol Squadron (Landplane) 11 (VP-HL-11) on 15 November 1946, redesignated Patrol Squadron 21 (VP-21) on 1 September 1948 and disestablished on 21 November 1969. It was the fifth squadron to be designated VP-21, the first VP-21 was redesignated VP-45 on 1 July 1939, the second VP-21 was redesignated VP-1 on 30 July 1940, the third VP-21 was disestablished on 18 April 1942 and the fourth VP-21 was redesignated VPB-21 on 1 October 1944 21 November 1969. VP-21 was disestablished at NAS Brunswick, Maine

I caught my error

Texture=VP21

It was VP-21 - I took the dash out and now it works fine.

Corrected- Should read:

[fltsim.5]
    title=P2V-7 Neptune VP-21
    sim=neptune
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=VP21
    kb_checklists=p2v_check
    kb_reference=
    atc_id=
    ui_manufacturer=Lockheed
    ui_type=P2V-7 Neptune
    ui_variation=VP-21, NAS Argencia NF
    ui_typerole="Anti-Submarine Warfare"
    ui_createdby="Virtavia"
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_airline=Navy
    atc_flight_number=
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
    visual_damage=0
    description= VP-21 (1943–1969) VP-21 was a Patrol Squadron of the U.S. Navy. The squadron was established as Bombing Squadron 111 (VB-111) on 30 July 1943, redesignated Patrol Bombing Squadron 111 (VPB-111) on 1 October 1944, redesignated Patrol Squadron 111 (VP-111) on 15 May 1946, redesignated Heavy Patrol Squadron (Landplane) 11 (VP-HL-11) on 15 November 1946, redesignated Patrol Squadron 21 (VP-21) on 1 September 1948 and disestablished on 21 November 1969. It was the fifth squadron to be designated VP-21, the first VP-21 was redesignated VP-45 on 1 July 1939, the second VP-21 was redesignated VP-1 on 30 July 1940, the third VP-21 was disestablished on 18 April 1942 and the fourth VP-21 was redesignated VPB-21 on 1 October 1944 21 November 1969. VP-21 was disestablished at NAS Brunswick, Maine

Thanks Richard for this one

Isn't That Pretty

Thanks Richard for this one

I'm glad you got it working. Have you ever used JoinFS for multiplayer? I just finished LH-1 in all sea blue which is in the real photo with LH-6. Both sims should work together in JoinFS.

Members who have read this thread: 2