DC Designs F-4 Phantom released...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC Designs F-4 Phantom released...

DC Designs F-4 Phantom released...

..but so far only on the MS Marketplace - which means no weapon loadouts, fuel tanks only.

Mod edit: Now available from 3rd party vendor: https://www.justflight.com/product/d...j-fgr2-phantom

I assume the plane will be released in due course on other sites with a full compliment of weapons. In the
    meantime, the screenshots on the Marketplace look awesome, and does give some idea of the purchase
    price.
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; August 11th, 2023 at 15:07.

DC will very likely release a download that enables external stores other than tanks, since he's done so for the rest of his marketplace releases.

Looks like you can find it on JustFlight as well. Click HERE!!! Email when available. Shouldn't be to long.
    Last edited by stovall; July 20th, 2023 at 20:24.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

It's actually not available on Justflight yet, but it'll probably be there in the next few days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Looks like you can find it on JustFlight as well. Click HERE!!!
    Nose still looks funky.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Love Phantoms but it looks like someone didn't research it well.
    Or just bought the 3D mesh and ran with it.

They have Navy type inboard pylons on all of the F-4E's.

Charter Member 2011
    Out of interest, what would make you NOT want to buy from the MSFS Marketplace?

Up until very recently, the MS marketplace has had a lead time measured in weeks (if not months) for new products/updates getting posted, and the "no weapons" policy also limits what can be sold there for military aircraft, although Asobo seems to turn a blind eye to developers making files available elsewhere to add said weapons back in.

The marketplace also encrypts almost all of the files it installs, which means that it's largely impossible to tweak things like flight models.

Next week for Just Flight.

Why not MS Marketplace?

* Takes weeks for them to process updates.
    * Stupid no weapons policy
    * Rather see the developers not have to give up a big percentage to MS.

I buy from the Marketplace, and I do want to support MSFS, because I want it to continue.

But with military planes, the stupid weapons policy makes literally any other venue preferable.

EDIT: Ouch. $37.99? I thought JF/DCD were going lower with the new releases. I know Dean and team have put a ton of work into this, but nope. I'll wait for a sale. That's just too high for a mid-detail MSFS plane, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Next week for Just Flight.

Why not MS Marketplace?

* Takes weeks for them to process updates.
    * Stupid no weapons policy
    * Rather see the developers not have to give up a big percentage to MS.

I buy from the Marketplace, and I do want to support MSFS, because I want it to continue.

But with military planes, the stupid weapons policy makes literally any other venue preferable.

EDIT: Ouch. $37.99? I thought JF/DCD were going lower with the new releases. I know Dean and team have put a ton of work into this, but nope. I'll wait for a sale. That's just too high for a mid-detail MSFS plane, for me.

We give up less of a percentage to the Marketplace than we do elsewhere, believe it or not. Weapons are no longer an issue for PC users - I will release next week a small, free add-on that reactivates them on PC. Only console users will forever be without weapons, sadly - and the policy is indeed daft, static weapons can harm nothing.

Price is actually $34.99, same as the Tomcats, Vipers etc. F-14D is coming free to the F-14A/B package to up that also to three variants.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Dean, can you comment on this from your facebook page?

" deciding if and when to bring them to other stores"

Cheers
    Keith

I just bought the Phantom from the Marketplace, and took it for one short hop. I really like the way it handles. Memories of riding backseat in them really came back to me, quite vividly. I remember the pilots I rode with would always run up each engine on the runway and check the gauges, prior to takeoff. So, I did the same with my split throttle. Awesome!

Love the sound, but the characteristic "howl" of those J79s could be just a touch louder, just my opinion.

One observation about the paints. Now I only looked at one, specifically, VF-143. The lines of every single panel are clearly outlined. In reality, they are not that noticeable. When USN tailhook aircraft are cleaned/treated for corrosion prevention, you will see the panel edge definitions more so, because the maintainers use a type of lube on the fasteners, which stains the paint, making it blotchy. I guess what I am trying to convey is that the clearly defined edges of all the panels, to me, seem much too uniform? Maybe when you talented painters start creating various squadron paints, you might possibly make some changes? Just a thought. NC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f4.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	91402

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f-4 d.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	91403

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Dean, can you comment on this from your facebook page?

" deciding if and when to bring them to other stores"

Cheers
    Keith
    Bottom line: third party stores are responsible for less than 5% of sales now, and are also pirated within 24 hours of release. Marketplace accounts for 95% + of sales, little to no piracy and they're updating much faster now. The industry has changed, that's all it is. I love the team at Just Flight, but I lose a lot more in revenue selling through them than I would selling only on the Marketplace.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I just bought the Phantom from the Marketplace, and took it for one short hop. I really like the way it handles. Memories of riding backseat in them really came back to me, quite vividly. I remember the pilots I rode with would always run up each engine on the runway and check the gauges, prior to takeoff. So, I did the same with my split throttle. Awesome!

Love the sound, but the characteristic "howl" of those J79s could be just a touch louder, just my opinion.

One observation about the paints. Now I only looked at one, specifically, VF-143. The lines of every single panel are clearly outlined. In reality, they are not that noticeable. When USN tailhook aircraft are cleaned/treated for corrosion prevention, you will see the panel edge definitions more so, because the maintainers use a type of lube on the fasteners, which stains the paint, making it blotchy. I guess what I am trying to convey is that the clearly defined edges of all the panels, to me, seem much too uniform? Maybe when you talented painters start creating various squadron paints, you might possibly make some changes? Just a thought. NC

Glad you're enjoying the Phantoms! The panel lines are all on a simple, single coloured decal sheet. By lightening the colour, a texture artist can thus lighten the lines in one easy move. Simples
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Bottom line: third party stores are responsible for less than 5% of sales now, and are also pirated within 24 hours of release. Marketplace accounts for 95% + of sales, little to no piracy and they're updating much faster now. The industry has changed, that's all it is. I love the team at Just Flight, but I lose a lot more in revenue selling through them than I would selling only on the Marketplace.- - - Updated - - -Glad you're enjoying the Phantoms! The panel lines are all on a simple, single coloured decal sheet. By lightening the colour, a texture artist can thus lighten the lines in one easy move. Simples
    Thanks Dean! I suspected as much. I must say that this aircraft is a blast to fly! NC

No DC Phantom for me...shame as I've just booked my session on the full-motion F4J Phantom Simulator
    https://www.aerospace-experience.uk/f4-phantom

A simulator eh? Pricey!I will just re-imagine what it was like to fly in them, using my VR headset and my "Buttkicker" attached to my chair. The combination is amazing! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Out of interest, what would make you NOT want to buy from the MSFS Marketplace?
    My biggest gripe is the encrypted flight dynamics files. Yes, it prevents piracy, but it also prevents personal tweaks. I often need to adjust things like steering angles to better suit my needs or to correct errors from dev's that don't quite understand that turning a nose wheel 90° doesn't mean you can turn sharp. It only means your wheel it perpendicular to the plane's intended path and it ain't going nowhere. I've also found several that don't have differential braking enabled with rudder deflection. Being able to make corrections like that are important in considering where I spend my money.

Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Charter Member 2011
    Ah OK I didn't realise the easy-as-pie purchase/installation/updates also meant no hotrodding.
    I guess with feedback, that can be overcome in the dialogue with devs.
    More power to the forums.
    Insightful to hear Dean's comment on sales/income I thought.

I thought about NOT buying it from the Marketplace because of the inability to modify flight dynamics, etc.... But then I remembered ; I don't know how to do that in the first place!  NC

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton
    Yes, it prevents piracy, but it also prevents personal tweaks.
    It doesn't though. At least, it hasn't for the last year or so.

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.c...ix-coming.html

This is why DRM doesn't work, it always get cracked, and once it does paying customers are still left with encrypted files while pirates are getting a DRM free version.

First day purchase for me, took her for a quick spin this morning, quite liked it. Totally understand the marketplace vs 3rd party sellers issue, I for one have been trying to focus only on sellers who have updaters where updates can be automatically installed, which so far is the marketplace, ORBX and simmarket, and I am not too sure of simmarket yet.

I agree with the comments on the encrypted files. I have in the past liked to tweak the data in the files and if nothing else be able to read the data in the files so I know what's up.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    It doesn't though. At least, it hasn't for the last year or so.

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.c...ix-coming.html

This is why DRM doesn't work, it always get cracked, and once it does paying customers are still left with encrypted files while pirates are getting a DRM free version.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Other problems with Marketplace purchases,
    for Steam users purchase is a lottery and rarely work first time, it can take two or three attempts or even a support ticket to resolve
    for me in the UK the Phantom went up 20% between Just Flight and the Marketplace

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    We give up less of a percentage to the Marketplace than we do elsewhere, believe it or not.
    Interesting! The other stores are really charging a huge percentage, then. Yikes.

Price is actually $34.99, same as the Tomcats, Vipers etc. F-14D is coming free to the F-14A/B package to up that also to three variants.
    It's listed at $37.99 on Just Flight, where I'll eventually buy it, either when it goes on sale or when I catch up with my hangar backlog and can no longer resist flying a Phantom. (Have a C-160, Comanche 250, and DoubleEnder I've barely had any time to fly yet!)

Funny, there are more comments here about buying this on the Marketplace than there are actual reviews of the product.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Members who have read this thread: 5