FSMETAR v1.55 BETA

Thread: FSMETAR v1.55 BETA

Metars 31-aug-2015 ut

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Other Add-Ons

Description: These are METAR txt files I downloaded to use with FSMETAR flying in CFS2 offline.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit METARS 31-AUG-2015 UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Metars 28-sep-2014 ut

Description: These are METAR txt files I downloaded to use with FSMETAR, flying offline in CFS2

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit METARS 28-SEP-2014 UT

Metars 22-jun-2014 ut

Description: These are METAR txt files I downloaded to use with FSMETAR, flying offline in CFS 2

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit METARS 22-JUN-2014 UT

Metars 20-apr-2014 ut

Description: These are METAR txt files I downloaded for use with FSMETARS, flying offline in CFS 2

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit METARS 20-APR-2014 UT

Metars 13-apr-2014 ut

Description: These are METAR txt files I downloaded for use with FSMETARS, flying offline in CFS 2

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit METARS 13-APR-2014 UT

Metars 12-apr-2014 ut

Description: These are METARS I downloaded to use with FSMETAR, flying offline in CFS 2

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit METARS 12-APR-2014 UT

Metars 05-may-14 ut

Description: These are METAR txt files I downloaded for use with FSMETAR, flying offline in CFS 2

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit METARS 05-MAY-14 UT

Metars 03-feb-2016 ut

Description: These are METAR txt files I downloaded for use with FSMETAR, flying offline in CFS 2

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit METARS 03-FEB-2016 UT

Metars 01-feb-2015 ut

Description: THese are METAR txt files I downloaded for use with FSMETAR, flying offline in CFS 2

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit METARS 01-FEB-2015 UT

FSMETAR v1.55 BETA

Description: This weather programme works with CFS 2, & but can only be found now using webarchive.

THerefore I'm submitting this to the SOH archives for preservation purposes.

UncleTgt
    JUL 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FSMETAR v1.55 BETA

FSMETAR Activex Controls

Description: When first installing FSMETAR I found I needed several other windows Activex control files in order to make the programme fun in WIN 7 - I'm assuming this would also be true of later Operating Systems.

This zip contains copies of those additional files. Just drop them into your FSMETAR exe folder if your system says you need them...

UncleTgt
    JUL 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FSMETAR Activex Controls

Thank you UncleTgt, I'm looking forward to using these in missions.

msfossey

Excuse my ignorance here>>>>

.... but I gather the FSMETAR folder deals with the weather enviroment but I have been trying to recreate CFS2 on a stand alone drive and I can't find a FSMETAR folder. Lot of time and work reinstalling all of the great mods to CFS2 after trying to put all in order so they install right.

Library Staff
    Thanks John for the METARs.

Is CFS2 able to display a realistic cumulonimbus cloud? I haven't seen one. I get lightning coming out of stratocumulus in free flight.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Thanks John for the METARs.

Is CFS2 able to display a realistic cumulonimbus cloud? I haven't seen one. I get lightning coming out of stratocumulus in free flight.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Ha Ha Kev,

I think it;s just beyond CFS2's engine to do it, heck, FS9 thunderstorms aren't much better

and I see the MSFS crowd are still hankering after better depictions of tropical storm formations...

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    .... but I gather the FSMETAR folder deals with the weather enviroment but I have been trying to recreate CFS2 on a stand alone drive and I can't find a FSMETAR folder. Lot of time and work reinstalling all of the great mods to CFS2 after trying to put all in order so they install right.
    Well Fibber, I did put a txt file in each METAR download zip, & also uploaded the FSMETAR programme you need to run alongside CFS2, but in case you missed it:

"Taken from SOH discussion several years ago...

You can have realistic weather offline.

Get hold of a copy of the freeware programme FSMETAR. The last version was 1.55beta (which I have). This is the only address I could find that is still live & it's v1.54
    http://web.archive.org/web/201203230...s/web/fsmetar/

Now, on your internet machine go here, & save any one of the observation files (simple txt files)

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/obs.../metar/cycles/

You can build a store of files if you save each into a separate days folder.

FS METAR needs to be running when you are running CFS 2

In FS METAR you have the option to navigate to where you stored these files & pick one to load. Now, when you return to CFS 2 & launch a mission, QC or Free Flight, it will load weather observations from the nearest location in the table. If you fly a long way, the weather will/may change as the weather station used by FSMETAR as reference changes.

Not real time weather, but offline (safe), & as good as!"

The metar downloads save you the bother of a fruitless internet search - they've changed the data format, so they're not available as txt files anymore

I'm not sure what else you need???

UT......

....MEA CUPA, MEA CUPA ! I must have had a brain malfunction there and I should have known that is what you would have done. When I didn't see the folder FSMETA I thought, for some reason, I missed a post long ago and never looked in your files, My bad. Sorry.

Thanks for sharing this, John, I'll have a look at it.

What I do when building missions is to build the weather I want in a Free Flight session, an then copy the lines from the cfs2 config to my mis file.

Thaks for uploading John.

I've only just found the time to take a good look at this and discovered that if you download the metars.cache.csv file from this link Directory Listing For /current/ (aviationweather.gov) rename it metars.cache.txt and open it in FSMetar. Great for the getting the latest data.

Cheers
    Aussie

Good one Aussie!

I would never have made the link between csv & txt files, so renaming works (even though I know you can edit csv files using Notepad - doh! )

Hi john,

I've written a simple program that downloads the metars and saves it with a date/time name, example "2023-07-22 17-44-23.txt" That way can build a nice little collection of metars. I'll email you a link.

Cheers
    Aussie

UncleTgt,

Thanks for sharing this information. I normally just use the quick combat mode. I am guessing that FSMETAR allows you to start a mission in sunny weather and change to cloudy during the mission. Is that the advantage?

The attached screen shots look spectacular. Is that just CFS2 with the clouds that you have written? I have your clouds installed in my CFS2.

I have just started to learn how to write mission files. The AI aircraft seems to be more aggressive than in the Quick Combat mode. I have just finished writing a simple mission similar to the Quick Combat mode, and it will be included with my new aircraft. I can see that the Mission Creator has a lot of controls in weather.

Andrew

Andrew

I guess you could use FSMETARS to load a different weather partway through a quick combat flight, but I tend to use it like Skylane describes.

The screengrabs are all of FSMETAR weather, using my cloudset.

You'll find that Mission Builders weather controls, although extensive, really don't deliver very believable weather conditions.

I also seem to remember Mission Builder only saves 1(?) cloud deck to the Mission file, no matter how creative you get.
    So, doing as Skylane suggests, hand-editing by copying a FreeFlight weather from the cfs2.cfg into the Mission file using Notepad is the only way to go.

I have noticed that keeping FSMETARS running, when checking out range performance for aircraft by flying in freeflight, it will change the weather as you move from one reporting station to another. Pretty cool, but I expect its only me that enjoys such long flights...

Members who have read this thread: 1