FSX-SE won't start...

Thread: FSX-SE won't start...

FSX-SE won't start...

I get a splash screen, diminished size, and then FSX stops? The first thing I noticed was the diminished size.....I read something about an event viewer? Where can I find that? I run win11.

Cees

Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools. Double-click Event Viewer. Select the type of logs that you wish to review (ex: Windows Logs)

Logbook problem?

Maybe a need to verify game files?
    To verify your game files please do the following:

1. Load the Steam platform and log into your account
    2. Click the Library tab in the menu at the top of the screen
    3. Click the List View from the view options on the top right of the screen
    4. Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition to bring up a popup menu
    5. Click on Properties from the popup menu to bring up another popup box
    6. Click on Local files from the popup box menu
    7. Click on Verify integrity of game cache from the Local file options
    8. Wait for the progress bar to finish verifying your files. Additional files may download
    9. Restart Steam
    10. Restart Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

or

1. Log on to Steam
    2. Select "View Games Library" from the "Games" menu
    3. Right-click the Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition icon and select "Properties"
    4. Select the "Local Files" tab and click on "Verify Integrity of Games Cache"
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools. Double-click Event Viewer. Select the type of logs that you wish to review (ex: Windows Logs)

Logbook problem?

Maybe a need to verify game files?
    To verify your game files please do the following:

1. Load the Steam platform and log into your account
    2. Click the Library tab in the menu at the top of the screen
    3. Click the List View from the view options on the top right of the screen
    4. Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition to bring up a popup menu
    5. Click on Properties from the popup menu to bring up another popup box
    6. Click on Local files from the popup box menu
    7. Click on Verify integrity of game cache from the Local file options
    8. Wait for the progress bar to finish verifying your files. Additional files may download
    9. Restart Steam
    10. Restart Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

or

1. Log on to Steam
    2. Select "View Games Library" from the "Games" menu
    3. Right-click the Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition icon and select "Properties"
    4. Select the "Local Files" tab and click on "Verify Integrity of Games Cache"
    Yes, I have done that, also deleted the fsx.cfg and renamed the logbook.bin. No cigar.

Cees

Sorry for your trouble Cees. I don’t have FSX SE installed but I do have other things I access through Steam. Huge Steam update a few days ago made significant changes to the opening interface which now floods my desk top with steam game related advertising. At least 3 unsolicited tabs open every time and run in the background. I have to minimize the app I’m in to close those screens. A real PITA now. Hope you get yours sorted.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

This is assuming you have NVidia GPU:

Found this on the Steam site from a user with a similar problem to yours!

Not sure if this is a Windows Issue or NVIDIA Issue but i had same problem and checked the DMP file created by windows 10, The faulting module was NvCamera32.dll which is located in the Windows folder just search NvCamera32.dll and remove this file, you will find that removing if you are on nvidia brings back FSX i had this issue and it fixed for me NvCamera32.dll seems to be related to Nvidias Photo Capture.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Alas! Again no cigar.

Cees

Hi Cees,

Sorry to hear about your problems and I'm afraid I can't really help you. But I just wanted to let you know that I run FSXE as well. Went through all the Steam updates, but my FSXE is running without any problem. The only difference I noticed is that you run Windows11, while I'm still on Windows10. So I concur with Mr Zippy and think it might be a conflict with Windows11.

Good luck,
    Huub

The new Steam client update caused a few problems in some games for me as well & errors when playing in offline mode.

Check the main steam options setting tab, they added a lot more stuff to disable.

My problem was the Cloud setting even though I had it disabled in the main settings, the new update added it to Individual games & it is on by default.

Right mouse click on the game in your library, go to properties and disable it.

The last few Steam client updates have caused me a few problems, the client updates even if you have disabled it in the main settings.

I decided to go for a clean install. But that is also cumbersome:

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I decided to go for a clean install. But that is also cumbersome:

Cees
    If you rename the exe doesn't FSX create a new one, when you run FSX.

I got the clean install working and I'm rebuilding my install step by step.

Cees

Great news that you are up and running again. On the positive side, you should end up with a 'clean' clean install. I myself have an installation that is MANY years old at this point; over time much has gone in and back out with respect to aircraft, boats, ai, sounds, gauges, effects, airports, terrain mesh, scenery in general, weather enhancements, etc.. I sometimes think it might be nice to start over and build it up all over again, keeping what I want and leaving out what I don't want/need.

Embrace your new paradigm of cleanliness. Best of luck with your new build.

Peace,

Sam

My understanding is that Steam will no longer be supporting FSX-SE since sales were recently halted. I think we are stuck with solving our problems through the forums like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I got the clean install working and I'm rebuilding my install step by step.
    Cees
    Hi Cees,
    Good luck on your reinstall and I hope you have no further glitches.
    I found my original FSX Gold Edition with Acceleration tonight. I'm going back to the CD's. I've had enough of FSX-SE with its constant crashes... Crash on exiting a flight, crash on selecting a different aircraft in flight, crash on saving a flight, crash on exiting the sim. I'm on my third reinstall and the same thing keeps happening. Windows Event Recorder doesn't tell you anything in plain language. Never had the constant crash problem in the original MS package.

Not sure whether this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I got a message yesterday to say that Steam will cease functioning on Windows 7 from 2024. Yes I'm a dinosaur !

Quote Originally Posted by NOSNILMOT View Post
    Not sure whether this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I got a message yesterday to say that Steam will cease functioning on Windows 7 from 2024. Yes I'm a dinosaur !
    No more a dinosaur than I was running FSX on WinXP with 2Gb processor and 2Gb of memory!

Members who have read this thread: 0