AlphaSim F-84

Thread: AlphaSim F-84

AlphaSim F-84

I have been reworking the cockpit for this airplane and have just about completed it. This is the version updated to native FSX by A.F Scrub with additional updates by Michael Pook. The original model had wing tanks and with A.F.'s update a "clean" model was included.

Only thing is, the clean model appears no different than the basic model. To me, "clean" would indicate no wing tanks, but the wing tanks remain even after changing the model. Does any else have this version that can comment on this?

Thanks
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Can you be more specific, regarding the model that you're referencing? I did a quick search and turned up several different F-84s that are available - originally from AlphaSim and updated by A.F. Scrub et al.

I downloaded this one (although I don't see Michael Pook's name connected with it) and put it into FSX; it DOES have a clean model that lacks wing tanks:

Republic F-84F Thunderstreak for FSX (flyawaysimulation.com)

?

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I have been reworking the cockpit for this airplane and have just about completed it. This is the version updated to native FSX by A.F Scrub with additional updates by Michael Pook. The original model had wing tanks and with A.F.'s update a "clean" model was included.

Only thing is, the clean model appears no different than the basic model. To me, "clean" would indicate no wing tanks, but the wing tanks remain even after changing the model. Does any else have this version that can comment on this?

Thanks
    Are you doing the swept wing or straight wing model? Either way you may just be able to delete the tanks in MCX and save it as a new model in the folder. I did that with the Alpha Sim/Virtavia Demon as I wanted a completely clean version without tanks or pylons. I just went into the material editor and deleted the files for the pylons and tanks, saved it as "model.naked" and added enough new headings in the cfg file so each texture was utilized by the naked model. The rest of the model suffered no ill effects. (However when I tried to delete the tip tanks from the Scorpion I was able to see into the end of the wing so it may not work in all cases.)

Quote Originally Posted by CurlSnout View Post
    Can you be more specific, regarding the model that you're referencing? I did a quick search and turned up several different F-84s that are available - originally from AlphaSim and updated by A.F. Scrub et al.

I downloaded this one (although I don't see Michael Pook's name connected with it) and put it into FSX; it DOES have a clean model that lacks wing tanks:

Republic F-84F Thunderstreak for FSX (flyawaysimulation.com)

?

Sam
    The version I downloaded included an RF model as well. Also they are the swept wing models. I was able to remove the tanks, however the pylons were also part of the fwd fuselage so I was unable to remove those. Not exactly a true clean version but at least the tanks are gone.

I just took a look at the version you supplied a link to. It's the same model I'm working with and it also still has the pylons attached.
    Last edited by falcon409; July 3rd, 2023 at 04:02. Reason: additional info

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    Are you doing the swept wing or straight wing model? Either way you may just be able to delete the tanks in MCX and save it as a new model in the folder. I did that with the Alpha Sim/Virtavia Demon as I wanted a completely clean version without tanks or pylons. I just went into the material editor and deleted the files for the pylons and tanks, saved it as "model.naked" and added enough new headings in the cfg file so each texture was utilized by the naked model. The rest of the model suffered no ill effects. (However when I tried to delete the tip tanks from the Scorpion I was able to see into the end of the wing so it may not work in all cases.)
    Thanks for that suggestion Josh. I should have realized I could do that as I've used MCX in the past to remove unwanted items from some aircraft. I guess I got sidetracked wondering why the Manuel Villa "clean" model wasn't working and just had a senior moment, lol.

Current System Specs:

Well, silly me forgot to read the fine print where it says the wing tanks are controlled by the tail hook command. Doh!

In my defense, that information was not in the readme for the F model which I was most interested in, but in the package for the RF version. So it wasn't entirely my fault, lol

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Well, silly me forgot to read the fine print where it says the wing tanks are controlled by the tail hook command. Doh!

In my defense, that information was not in the readme for the F model which I was most interested in, but in the package for the RF version. So it wasn't entirely my fault, lol
    Good for you!

One thing I have learned over many years with various FltSims is "don't give up - push back, wind your watch, and take another look --"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Good for you!

One thing I have learned over many years with various FltSims is "don't give up - push back, wind your watch, and take another look --"
    I always find that "have another beer helps"
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Hello Falcon409,
    -Can you give me the name of the F-84 and RF 84 file that you have and where to get it?
    THANKS!

Alain

Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    Hello Falcon409, -Can you give me the name of the F-84 and RF 84 file that you have and where to get it? THANKS! Alain .
    Certainly: Republic_RF-F-84F_-AS-_X.zip (FlyAway Simulations)

Current System Specs:

-Thank you Falcon!

Alain
    -

Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    -Thank you Falcon!
    Alain
    -
    Alain, I misspoke, actually the version I have came from Simviation. Do a search for F-84F and you'll find the dual package I have been working with. Sorry about the mixup.

Current System Specs:

Hello Falcon

OK, no worries!
    I get it back on Simviation!
    Thank you for the feedback!

Alain

-

Here are a few shots of the VC as I've redone it. Mostly redrawn many of the components, nonfunctional but close to what the panel looked like. Found a better image of the gun sight and hud area (more in focus than what was originally used). Side consoles are only representative of what they might have looked like. I redrew the side panels and floor for better resolution. I wanted to find a better hud display as the F-18 version that's in the airplane is unreadable I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-84_Cockpit-2023-jul-11-001.jpg   F-84_Cockpit-2023-jul-11-002.jpg  

Current System Specs:

Looking very good!

A HUD is your call, but airplanes of this vintage only had a reflector plate that showed only a bombsight or gunsight reticle. The F-86 and later had a lead computing gyro driven pipper anf gun ranging, but I do not believe the F-84 had either, it was very basic.

These basic reflector plate systems could be turned off or dimmed as desired for normal flying so they were not distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Looking very good! A HUD is your call, but airplanes of this vintage only had a reflector plate that showed only a bombsight or gunsight reticle. The F-86 and later had a lead computing gyro driven pipper anf gun ranging, but I do not believe the F-84 had either, it was very basic. These basic reflector plate systems could be turned off or dimmed as desired for normal flying so they were not distracting.
    Considering it's unreadable anyway, I'll just delete it. Thanks!

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 1