Seperating Ai from flyer's

Thread: Seperating Ai from flyer's

Seperating Ai from flyer's

Is there a way of keeping Ai in a different folder to your flyer's. I know you can do this in FSX, make a new folder in Simobjects and edit the FSX cfg. But as far as i know, you cant do that in 9 unless someone knows different

Like my addon scenery, I have a addon traffic folder in my FS9 root folder, in which I have sub-folders, named after the scenery to which the ai flights belong. In there you have a scenery sub-folder, which contains the .blg files with the traffic. I activate them in the same way as you activate your scenery.

I hope this makes some sense, but I can tell you it does work....

Cheers,
    Huub

Make's sense to me , but i was thinking more of Aircraft rather than traffic files if you have Calclassic traffic plus a few MAIW package's, you have quite a large Aircraft folder, i just wondered if there's a neater way of doing things

I mainly use two kind of AI worlds: CalClassic retro and GW3 vintage. These are two different environments generated by two different scenery.cfg. In order to manage more easily the different libraries of aircraft, I just modify the folder names, depending in which era I will fly. Folder "Aircraft CC " will be renamed "Aircraft". The same with folder "Aircraft GW". It 's a thing of five seconds.

As you said, there is no other way to stear the use of different aircraft packages like with FSX. There I'm able to generate the suitable aircraft folders over specific scenery.cfg.

Bernard

Ian,

I remember this from WAY back when. Flightsim still has it:

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...4-bbq-hide-ai/

Fairly good if I remember correctly.

Alternitavely, you could install AAM (Aircraft Airfile Manager) which is along the lines of ACM (Aircraft Container Manager). You could then go through the list and activate/deactivate as you see fit.

If I remember correctly, the BBQ one allows you to define the folders chosen by the name of the folders, so if you typed "AAI_" for example, you could change all the air files in folders that started with that name. Don't quote me on that, though. I haven't used it in YEARS, so I'm not too certain. I do remember it worked, however.

Regards,

Jorge
    Miami, FL

As has been said, the more aircraft (AI or otherwise) you have in your aircraft folder, the longer it takes FS to boot up. Have enough planes and it can get really annoying!

This is why I populate my airfields mostly with static aircraft models rather than AI. The relatively few AI planes in my aircraft folder are planes that might show up anywhere; for example, any USAF base in the classic era might have similar transient traffic like a C-47, C-124, TB-25 or C-131, so types like that take off and land as AI at all the bases, which the mission aircraft unique to each base populate the ramps as static scenery models.

This way I get some aircraft movement at each base, plenty of each base's stationed aircraft scattered around, but my sims boot up in seconds.

Another advantage is that I have an AI plane fire up and taxi for takeoff every ten minutes or so, fly a circuit and land (a bit more movement at big civil airports, which I haven't developed as much as some military bases.) That's enough traffic that I'll see a takeoff and a landing while I get ready to fly and taxi to the runway, but if I'm arriving rather than departing I have a good chance of making an approach and landing without getting cut out of the pattern by the insufferably rude Captain A.I. Pilot.

Ian, is your question more bout the organization of the aircraft so when looking for something and finding it is easier or load times?

if organization then I first solve by having three separate FS9 installs (GW, Calclassic and modern) which I’m sure many others do as well. However my classic aircraft is huge and most are ai as I like ai actively, and only real way to handle separate traffic years in Calclassic world where different aircraft types or paints are present depending on the year you fly. So organization wise I handle it by naming conventions. AlL ai starts with ai or MAIW then manufacture or military type B- C- F- etc.. so it is the same with flyables but without the ai in front. When sorted by name pressing the first letter gets you to a section fast.

if speed then some of the other suggestions above would help but assume you are at least familiar with those. I typically remove the flyable aircraft that I am not using and store in another folder then copy in should I want to fly it. Having a fast computer negates any issues with speed of loading of course.

I do wish FS9 could do what FSX can but outside of the cumbersome methods mention above, it can’t as far as I know.

Al

Thanks everybody, but i guess the short answer is no. Like AVP noted, this is more about organizing aircraft in my aircraft folder more than anything, i could always rename them with a AI suffix so that they all appear alphabetically, but do i want to work that hard . Load up times isnt a problem, im always impressed how many aircraft and scenery i can throw into 9 without impacting anything

Remember the renaming with ai for example can be done over time as it as no effect on anything but the order of display in explorer I did mine over time (in groups) as I ran into issues finding things. I do try to leave the name as close to as I can their original name as I can so I can recognize where they came from. Many times I may add the author’s name somehow to end (like “Wooster” “stone”) when there are multiple authors of a type. It was worth the investment in time over time to do it.

I look forward to your next release!

Members who have read this thread: 0