Are There 2 CD Versions of CFS2?

Thread: Are There 2 CD Versions of CFS2?

Are There 2 CD Versions of CFS2?

Guys, I loaned my CFS2 disks to a student to get involved with the simulator. He ordered his own online and returned "mine" One issue, These install the game just fine, however, I cannot enable hardware acceleration and go to 32bit graphics. The game is stuck on 16bit graphics. My older PC has an nVidia GT 1030 which runs my original installs just fine at 32bit graphics. My newer gaming PC had an nVidia GTX 1050Ti, with 4GB Vid RAM, which I switched out to an AMD RX5600XT with 6GB of Vid RAM to get ready to tryout MSFS 2020-2024. Am I missing something in the setup which disables the vid card acceleration mode? My FS2004 and FSX both go into 32 bit graphics just fine on this more capable PC and graphics cards. CFS2 is the only one which will not load 32 bit on it. Thanks, Lee
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Devildog73
    I have two factory sets and they both have "CD SET: X05-74563 " on a sticker on the back. One I bought early on, the other I found online as a backup about 2 years ago.
    Intelcore i5 2400@3.10 GHZ mb ram
    AMD Radeon HD 5450 512mb
    Don't know if this helps or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    Guys, I loaned my CFS2 disks to a student to get involved with the simulator. He ordered his own online and returned "mine" One issue, These install the game just fine, however, I cannot enable hardware acceleration and go to 32bit graphics. The game is stuck on 16bit graphics. My older PC has an nVidia GT 1030 which runs my original installs just fine at 32bit graphics. My newer gaming PC had an nVidia GTX 1050Ti, with 4GB Vid RAM, which I switched out to an AMD RX5600XT with 6GB of Vid RAM to get ready to tryout MSFS 2020-2024. Am I missing something in the setup which disables the vid card acceleration mode? My FS2004 and FSX both go into 32 bit graphics just fine on this more capable PC and graphics cards. CFS2 is the only one which will not load 32 bit on it. Thanks, Lee
    DD

Go into the CFS2.CFG file,display and change the mode last number to 32.It should look like this-Mode=640x480x32.

Hiede

Welcome back DD,

See this post in the Win10 issues thread...
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1275756

It seems cfs2.exe can't recognise these newer graphic cards. Hand editing your cfs2.cfg gets you sorted...

SOH member Allen put a lot of useful info into a Windows 7,8,10... install guide...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=49&id=29394

As UncleTgt said CFS2 doesn't can't recognize newer graphic cards as being hardware acceleration capable.

The guide I made and UncleTgt linked to covers using DxWrapper or Manually editing of the CFS2.cfg to get CFS2 to run in hardware acceleration mode with 32 bit color.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Lots of folks smarter than me!

At the time of the guide write I didn't know about DDrawCompat. It may be a better option than DxWrapper. Grab the ddraw.dll from the DDrawCompat-v0.4.0.zip and put it into the same places as the CFS2.exe and everything should work fine. DDrawCompat has some in-game settings by Shift+F11.

Using FpsLimiter set to 30 in full screen dose fix the buggy vehicle sound that has been broken since just about day one with CFS2.

https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

Thanks All. Allen, which version? 4 with debug or no debug? OR one of the earlier versions? Lee
    Devildog73

Semper Fi

DDraw Compat fixed the issue. Thanks Allen and UncleTgt
    Devildog73

Semper Fi

DD................

..........in answer to your original question as to whether there were two versions of the CFS2 disks, IIRC, there were. In the early days of the game I believe that a disk set was rushed out by MS and then shortly phased into the current unmodified versions. There was a way to tell but I forget how and the notes on this were on a hard drive that now resides in byte heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    At the time of the guide write I didn't know about DDrawCompat. It may be a better option than DxWrapper. Grab the ddraw.dll from the DDrawCompat-v0.4.0.zip and put it into the same places as the CFS2.exe and everything should work fine. DDrawCompat has some in-game settings by Shift+F11.

Using FpsLimiter set to 30 in full screen dose fix the buggy vehicle sound that has been broken since just about day one with CFS2.

https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases
    Howdy Allen,

That certainly did the trick with getting the in game vide4o controls to work. Unfortunately, it also does something odd to the Team D Bf-109s. The Pilot textures, and VC panel background all disappear for me. And simply removing the DLL doesn't reverse it. When I did that, my whole CFS2 screen went black. I could still exit via in game prompts, but nothing just worked. Luckily I just plopped a copy of a config file from one of my other installs, and all is well.

Looks like DDrawCompat doesn't work well with some DTX3 texture?. What tool did Team D use to save the textures? I grabbed the Team D 109 JG11 had the same problem but fixed it by resaving the textures with DXTBMP. Saving as DTX3 textures worked just too.

The Team D bf109 as DLed worked fine with DxWrapper so that may be your best bet.

Members who have read this thread: 2