Famous Flyer #6 Ford 4-AT Trimotor - (Free June 23-30)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famous Flyer #6 Ford 4-AT Trimotor - (Free June 23-30)

Icon4 Famous Flyer #6 Ford 4-AT Trimotor - (Free June 23-30)

You beat me to it!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Really nice for free (until June 30th!, be sure to snag it!) The interior sounds are absolutely a joke, but otherwise I'm liking it.

I think the interior engine sounds might be designed to sound like what you'd hear wearing a noise-cancelling headset, but yeah, they're probably the weakest part.

Can't beat the price though, and it's a pretty solid release other than the interior sounds.

Got it, is super nice and fun to fly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

First impressions after a few hops around Oshkosh.

PROS:
    - Free!
    - 3 switchable instrument panels, 1920s, 1930s-40s, modern.
    - Plausible flight model.
    - Decent passenger cabin.
    - Nice manuals for both plane and gyro pilot.

CONS:
    - 3D model seems a bit dodgy, in quite a few places but especially nose, cabin windows, possibly wings. Floats seem too close together and at wrong incidence.
    - Sounds, bad.
    - Not many good paint schemes.
    - Start-up a bit glitchy, starters sometimes won't depress, sometimes not all engines start even with Ctrl-E, restarting flight seems to help.

Overall, not bad a nice surprise.

August

Is this the surprise aircraft that Bomber was talking about in another post? Funny, I did not find it in the Marketplace today and I did the upgrade. Inqueries are in progress. From the screens posted on FB, it looks quite good. Free is always good. Provided with pride from Microsoft. An apologie to the community for the way they handled the MS2024 announcment I guess.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

What a great surprise, I certainly did not expect the Ford to be added.

Given that we already got the Fokker F.VII and the Junkers JU-52 I was not expecting another 30's trimotor, but you can't beat the price and I am downloading it now.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

some early notez. It seems a bit rushed to launch. It's free. Cockpit guages are blurry when you pull away from them. I thought it might be my graphics settings, but no. Correct on the interior sound being poor. It would seem an audio file or files are missing.Motor struts where they attach to the underside of the wing seem to be off a bit. Not sure which variant this model is. I don't recognize the long nose and vertical forward windows. No spray for the floats. Can't tell if the guages on the outboard engine struts are working, they too are also blurry. No issues starting or shutting down. It's free.update: blurry guages the result of Nvidia DLSS. Disabled and it's as if I have a different sim.

I just read through the manual and tried the different panel options.

The two "period" ones are perfectly acceptable, but the texture/modeling on the "modern" panel is pretty bad, since a bunch of the gauges almost look like they're 2d.

This has the makings of a pretty good product, and it's fine as freeware, but there's a couple of pretty obvious issues that need resolving before I'd consider paying for it.

PAA(0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

PAA(0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

PAA(0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

PAA(0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Not sure which variant this model is. I don't recognize the long nose and vertical forward windows.
    Not sure if the developer is sure either! I think it is supposed to be a 4-AT-E with 300hp Whirlwinds. It should have a much shorter nose in that case, though. There was a lot of variation in the noses of the Fords, but generally the ones with the bigger, heavier engines had shorter noses. I have seen a few pics of Fords with noses almost as long as this, but not quite, and they are mostly earlier, smaller engined variants. The flight deck windows, I think, are just too tall, and not right for any variant. If you're talking about the central "prow" of the flight deck glass being vertical, that certainly was a thing; the EAA's plane has that feature, and so does the one at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo.

But you have to keep coming back to: it's free, and if we could replace the sounds, it would be not too bad from inside.

I'm glad to see Jankees already painting it. I was afraid the shape issues might put off the repainters.

August

I've patiently waited for a Trimotor to make an appearance in the game. I was surprised it was not included in the 40th celebration, along with the others. And, while I'm please like everyone else with this gift, I am sorry it is not the recognizable model (either 4-At or 5-AT). This model looks more like some sort of modern replica trimotor -- something I'd expect to see in a Homebuilt catalog. There's just something 'off' about the airplane.

I'm still hoping and anxiously waiting on the Ford Trimotor project from Taog, as it has all the hallmarks of a True Ford classic!

KB

Tried to get it, but my sim shows offline even though my online functions are turned on. Even tried signing out and restarting the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microsoft Flight Simulator 6_24_2023 11_41_46 AM.png  
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I was just browsing around and found this on wikipedia which seams to match JanKees image above which is described as "Oldest flying Ford, a 1927 4-AT-A, Serial No. 10, NC1077"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford_4AT_Trimotor.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	448.2 KB 
ID:	91172

It does not seam to be the most common but perhaps it was one of the earlier version? IMHO, it does not bother me since when in the VC I can't see it.

Noticed the market its described as an Aeroplane Heaven model.
    Joe Cusick

There were a few different short and long nose versions of the Ford Trimotor, and three different windscreen/cockpit window designs, but there has never been any that look quite like this interpretation in flight sim form, with the flattened out upper nose and overly-elongated/exaggerated windscreen & cockpit windows. I know it's free (limited time), but from the exterior, it's the windscreen/cockpit windows that make the real Ford Trimotor, no matter which variation, have the visual character/attitude that they evoke. I'd love to see a developer who has an actual deep interest/passion for the Ford Trimotor build one for MSFS, like what we've seen with the MSFS Junkers Ju 52 and F13.

Anyone been able to set up the 3 lever Logitech Pro throttle quadrant to be able to control 1 engine per lever?
    T43

Well, I managed to get the Marketplace working after starting a flight with live weather and pulling up a METAR - then going back into the Marketplace. Go figure...

Anyway, I picked up the Trimotor and did a circuit around Lihue just to see how it handles. First - I love the fact that it has the option to fly with a modern panel. This is a modern sim flying in today's skies, and today's rules pretty much demand at least some modern avionics. That said, flying this thing is... odd. The tail lifts around 40 knots, which in the Ford feels more like 10. And even with 100% fuel, she's lifting off the runway at around 60. Landing was a bit of a challenge - possibly due to winds, but it wasn't the most rock-stable approach I've done. Again, with the tail wanting to fly over 40, getting that large a plane to settle was "interesting."

On a side note, I really wish Asobo would work out which planes are appropriate for which parking spots. I ended up parking next to another Ford with floats that someone apparently just dropped off onto the ramp. Good luck getting that thing to move anywhere...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I think some of the landing thing is down to there not being enough drag.

Obviously, there aren't flaps, but something with that much frontal area should slow down significantly faster, or at least not acellerate as much in a descent.

Rocking the download now.

Just saw the thread
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Biggest issue I had in my test flight was the fuel management. Started with the default 50% fuel in the three tanks (left, right and center) The three engines proceeded to drain the left and right but had a hard time figuring out how to set the fuel controls, there is one each on the back wall which I think is for the left and right engine, and very different one on the wall under the pilots panel, could not figure what position corresponded to each tank.
    Joe Cusick

SOH-CM-2023
    Nice plane, especially free. Picky complaint, startup smoke goes vertical, should flow back with all those props rotating.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    Nice plane, especially free. Picky complaint, startup smoke goes vertical, should flow back with all those props rotating.
    Given the issues we have all noted, I suspect this is an early release beta that MS pushed out for the flighsim conference. The payware release will probably have a number of extras including different variants and fixes. Just my speculation. AH has done better than this. And do expect there will be a small charge for that upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Well, I managed to get the Marketplace working after starting a flight with live weather and pulling up a METAR - then going back into the Marketplace. Go figure...

Anyway, I picked up the Trimotor and did a circuit around Lihue just to see how it handles. First - I love the fact that it has the option to fly with a modern panel. This is a modern sim flying in today's skies, and today's rules pretty much demand at least some modern avionics. That said, flying this thing is... odd. The tail lifts around 40 knots, which in the Ford feels more like 10. And even with 100% fuel, she's lifting off the runway at around 60. Landing was a bit of a challenge - possibly due to winds, but it wasn't the most rock-stable approach I've done. Again, with the tail wanting to fly over 40, getting that large a plane to settle was "interesting."
    This reflects my expirience on the Ju-52 and it does reduce the development to plain eye candy. Since I'm still busy with waiting for updates for the JU (because of invisible *.cfgs and stuff), and because there's other eye candy clogging up the ramps - i'll probably leave this one to the collectors.
    They all start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience .
    The trick is, to fill the bag with experience before you run out of luck . . .

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Ok, here I go with (visual) complaints about the external model of this FREE ​ Tin Lizzy (Tin Goose).
    I'm asking if anyone knows the switch that I'm supposed to turn on or off to eliminate the blatant water rippling effect that is present with this aircraft.
    To me it looks like some sort of prismatic polycarbonate light diffuser (I had to look that one up ) effect has been applied to it (it just the corrugated metal ribbing fabrication).

This is my video card RTX 3090 24GB, and my MSFS graphics settings, NVIDIA control panel 3D applications, and my NVIDIA game filter settings that are Brightness/Contrast only.

Manage 3D settings in NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL
    Program to customize: Microsoft Flight Simulator

NVIDIA DRIVER 535.98

Image Scaling ...................................... Use global setting
    Ambient Occlusion .................................... Not supported for this application
    Anisotropic filtering ............................... Application-controlled
    Antialiasing-FXAA .................................... OFF
    Antialiasing Gamma correction ........................ ON
    Antialiasing-Mode .................................... Application-controlled
    Antialiasing-Setting ................................. Application-controlled
    Antialiasing-Transparency ........................... OFF
    Background Application Max Frame Rate ................ OFF
    CUDA GPUs ............................................ All
    Low Latency Mode ..................................... OFF
    Max Frame Rate ....................................... OFF
    Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA) ........................ Not supported for this application
    OpenGL GDI compatibility ............................ AUTO
    OpenGL rendering GPU ................................. AUTO-select
    Power management mode ................................ Normal
    Preferred refresh rate (G32QC) ....................... Application-controlled
    Texture filtering-Anisotropic sample option ......... OFF
    Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias .................. ALLOW
    Texture filtering-Quality ............................ QUALITY
    Texture filtering-Trilinear optimization ............. ON
    Threaded optimization ................................ AUTO
    Triple buffering ..................................... OFF
    Vetical sync ......................................... Use the 3D application
    Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames .................. 1
    Virtual Reality-Variable Rate Super Sampling ......... Not supported for this application
    Vulkan/OpenGL present method ......................... AUTO

These were my MSFS graphics settings were before I made any change.

Screenshot (3522) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

Screenshot (3523) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

Screenshot (3524) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

Screenshot (3497) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

Screenshot (3501) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

I made these changes to MSFS Graphics setting (note on the last one I turned BLOOM off ... in the red oval) Now let's stress that ol' RTX 3090 .......

Screenshot (3525) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

Screenshot (3526) by Donald McCann, on Flickr

...... continued .............

Members who have read this thread: 2