HLLM Wheelus Air Base 1955-1962

Thread: HLLM Wheelus Air Base 1955-1962

HLLM Wheelus Air Base 1955-1962

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Scenery

Description: Wheelus AB was a USAF base located in Tripoli Libya until it was closed in 1970. Wheelus served many purposes: as a MATS station; as a Reflex base hosting various bombers for short rotations at different times; and as a gunnery and bombing training facility supporting many United States Air Forces in Europe squadrons which flew in for month long training sessions to practice live gunnery and bomb training exercises at the nearby El-Uotia Gunnery Range. This is also included in the scenery. Separate traffic is provided for 1955, 1957, 1959 and 1962, each schedule reflecting a mix of visiting squadrons and aircraft types. It can get to be a pretty colorful place if you install all those provided for. By Al Von Pingel, Ken Lawson and Dan French.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit HLLM Wheelus Air Base 1955-1962
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

That is just one lovely scenery! Most realistic. Thanks AVP.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Very nice work. I had a look at it in FSX (I don't have FS9 installed anymore) and aside from some elevation problems along the beach and also around the salt flats everything else looked great. I just downloaded the Lages scenery and look forward to seeing how that looks.
    Ed
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

My kind of scenery, thanks guys

Thanks guys. Ed, I did not test mine in FSX as my goal was to put my traffic in your FSX Wheelus (which I like better) and I have just about completed and FPS is still good with all that traffic. Everything parks where it is suppose to and pulls in from back and pulls out forward, of course I had to rebuild the entire taxi and parking to accommodate all the aircraft. Just have a few issues yet to resolve and will upload this as an add on if you don’t mind. Your traffic should also still work for your era as well.

Ian, messing with and enjoying your stuff as well in FSX as well as FS9. I now have B-45’s from Sculthorpe visiting Wheelus in 1955, wonder if they ever really flew there.

Al

Thanks Al !

Cheers,
    Huub

Went there in 2006 when I was flying for ATI. Picked up some special cargo for the state department. Did not even have approach plates or airport diagrams. Had to keep repeating the aircraft registration number all the way through Libyan airspace. We were a bit concerned that that there was some Mig pilot out there who didn't get the memo about our clearance. As I understand it, we were the first american aircraft to land there since the colonel took over.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Thanks Hub. John, interesting tidbit about Wheelus. I think we got out of there as the Col took over.

al

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    . . . . .As I understand it, we were the first American aircraft to land there since the colonel took over.
    Most likely correct John. When Wheelus closed we (Americans) were no longer wanted in that country. Not a safe place to be after the takeover.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members who have read this thread: 0