USS Midway Shifting Aircraft

Thread: USS Midway Shifting Aircraft

USS Midway Shifting Aircraft

I downloaded Gary Payne's USS Midway (CVA-41) and also the frame rate fix for the .mdl file. This ship comes with F-4, A-6, and A-7 aircraft on deck that can be removed to change the deck configuration. They are separate models inside the Midway folder. After I applied the frame rate fix these planes now slide off the flight deck and tag along behind the ship when it is moving. Gary's Midway and Oriskany were popular ships a few years ago, has anybody else seen this and if so is there a fix? Otherwise I'm limited to the "clear deck" version. Not a good week for me in the flight sim world.

Have not been doing carrier ops in a while so I may have this mixed up - but this is a known issue I think when using Carrier Tracks. I think when you use AI Carriers the "deck pack" will stay put on the deck. Or it could be the other way around. I really think Gary's carriers are great.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Have not been doing carrier ops in a while so I may have this mixed up - but this is a known issue I think when using Carrier Tracks. I think when you use AI Carriers the "deck pack" will stay put on the deck. Or it could be the other way around. I really think Gary's carriers are great.
    This is the behavior of the planes using AI Carriers. Before I install the frame rate "fix" model folder the Midway's planes all stay in place while the ship's moving. After I install the fix the planes slide off the flight deck behind the ship (see screenshots) as soon as the ship starts to move. When I turn the carrier left or right the planes all pivot on their own and end up to port or starboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Midway_1.jpg   Midway_2.jpg  

On my computer it works fine. The second screenshot is taken after I let the ship twice make a 90 degrees turn.

My guess: there must something wrong in the cfg file of the deck addons?

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    On my computer it works fine. The second screenshot is taken after I let the ship twice make a 90 degrees turn.
    My guess: there must something wrong in the cfg file of the deck addons?
    Cees
    The aircraft on deck are separate models within the Coral Sea folder, they use the same .cfg file as the ship. Do you get a severe hit on frame rates when you approach the carrier? You probably have a better computer than I have, but I'm down to 7 FPS at the ramp and 4 FPS when I'm on deck and out of the arresting gear. That's with the ship moving but with the original model folder, NOT the add-on "frame rate fix" model folder substitution.

When I swap out the model folder the frame rates improve but as soon as the ship starts moving the planes slide off the deck. If you back up your current model folder and put in the frame rate fix model folder from the library here (see link) you may see the same thing I'm seeing with the sliding planes.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0199&catid=114

The originator of the fix eliminated some of the deck platforms to increase the ship's FR and I think that affected the planes' stability when the ship moves.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    The aircraft on deck are separate models within the Coral Sea folder, they use the same .cfg file as the ship. Do you get a severe hit on frame rates when you approach the carrier? You probably have a better computer than I have, but I'm down to 7 FPS at the ramp and 4 FPS when I'm on deck and out of the arresting gear. That's with the ship moving but with the original model folder, NOT the add-on "frame rate fix" model folder substitution.

When I swap out the model folder the frame rates improve but as soon as the ship starts moving the planes slide off the deck. If you back up your current model folder and put in the frame rate fix model folder from the library here (see link) you may see the same thing I'm seeing with the sliding planes.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0199&catid=114

The originator of the fix eliminated some of the deck platforms to increase the ship's FR and I think that affected the planes' stability when the ship moves.
    I'll take a look.

Cees

It turns out I already had the fix installed. Did another test run with the same result: the planes stay in place and move with the ship?
    Last edited by Cees Donker; June 26th, 2023 at 00:27. Reason: results

[formation.66]
    title=Midway 1975 Full Deck
    unit.0=Midway_1975, 0, 0
    unit.1=Midway75_F4, 0, 0
    unit.2=MIDWAY75_A6, 0, 0
    unit.3=MIDWAY75_A7, 0, 0

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post

[formation.66]
    title=Midway 1975 Full Deck
    unit.0=Midway_1975, 0, 0
    unit.1=Midway75_F4, 0, 0
    unit.2=MIDWAY75_A6, 0, 0
    unit.3=MIDWAY75_A7, 0, 0

Cees
    Aside from the different formation # that is the exact same entry I have in my aicarriers.cfg file.
    Can you possibly email me your entire Midway 75 ship folder so I can try your Midway on my sim and see if the planes behave?
    There has to be some difference between yours and mine if you have the frame rate fix and don't have the sliding planes.

Members who have read this thread: 0