Done with all flight sims - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Done with all flight sims

BSOD that consistent is 100% a hardware issue. And considering nobody else who has posted in this thread has this issue, and no one over on the official forums has this issue, it's not going to be any different for you in FS2024 if you don't address whatever hardware in your system is malfunctioning.

MSFS is very intensive and will cause your GPU draw a lot of power from your PSU even just at the menus. Any local computer shop should be able to test your power supply and tell you whether it's toast or not but that seems like the most likely cause of the problem given what you have posted in this thread.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    BSOD that consistent is 100% a hardware issue. And considering nobody else who has posted in this thread has this issue, and no one over on the official forums has this issue, it's not going to be any different for you in FS2024 if you don't address whatever hardware in your system is malfunctioning.

MSFS is very intensive and will cause your GPU draw a lot of power from your PSU even just at the menus. Any local computer shop should be able to test your power supply and tell you whether it's toast or not but that seems like the most likely cause of the problem given what you have posted in this thread.
    I must agree and I think I have narrowed it down to either the GPU, CPU, or Power Supply. If I had to guess one way nor another, I'd say CPU. My oldest son is a computer scientist and engineer and visiting on the 15th. I'm going to have him do a diagnostic and replace anything needed with updated equipment. If fact, I may just get the specs I want and have him and his partner, also a computer engineer, built me a new tower with all the shabang. I have nothing else at my old age to spend my poor SSN money on.

Cazzie

Seriously, if you build a new rig, go 4000 series on the video card. The frame doubling does amazing things in demanding scenery areas. If you're in the small percentage of people who perceive artifacting with DLAA doubling turned on (I see nothing) then you can disable it and you still have a card that uses less electricity and has other optimizations over the 3000 series cards. While the 4000 series cards might not justify an upgrade over the 3000 series, they're definitely a much better way to spend money than a dated 3000-series card if you're buying new. And MSFS is literally the one title that takes best advantage of 4000 series enhancements.

I'd up the power supply, which is why I asked. I've run 1250 in all my machines and never had a problem. Overbuild if you need to add parts. I have full faith in your son's decisions. Hard to believe he's doing this. Last time i either saw them or heard about them, they were both about 6 or 7 years old, back in the old Hobby USA days! All the kids are adults now, and all the adults are old farts! LOL!

Don

SOH-CM-2024
    Screenshots tell of my travails. I included a screenshot of my Internet Speed at the time just to show I have a darn good connection. Don, according to the MSI Afterburner scan, I am inclined to agree, I need more power! As to the connection issues, I have no idea, lest its my Ethernet adapter. I even install a brand new Ethernet cord just to make sure the old one was not defective. I have tied all the ropes, but they have strangled me.

CazzieAttachment 91322Attachment 91321Attachment 91320Attachment 91319

- - - Updated - - -

Screenshots tell of my travails. I included a screenshot of my Internet Speed at the time just to show I have a darn good connection. Don, according to the MSI Afterburner scan, I am inclined to agree, I need more power! As to the connection issues, I have no idea, lest its my Ethernet adapter. I even install a brand new Ethernet cord just to make sure the old one was not defective. I have tied all the ropes, but they have strangled me.

Cazzie

Attachment 91322Attachment 91321Attachment 91320Attachment 91319

SOH-CM-2024

Crossing my "t"s and dotting my "i"s...

This morning I broke down and tore my PC apart, inspected it all and found this. Thought I had blown it out the last cleaning. It's the vent to the cooling unit.The fan was dirty, but not clogged. I cleaned it spotless nonetheless. The cooling unit vent here got the good once over, vacuumed, blown, and brushed. Took the power supply out and gave it a good wiping, vacuuming, and blowing. It is an 850-Watt unit Don, going to have to go up to a larger supply. Took the RTX 3060 out and gave it the spotless treatment. And guess what? After all was put back in order and the unit booted completely, I took a flight in MSFS 2020 from KDAN to Blue Ridge without incident! Do any of you fellas know how long it has been since I did that?

Chores to do now, have to go to the vet in Chatham and get the cats. Crossing my fingers that all will go good on my next outing.

Cazzie

Attachment 91331

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    This morning I broke down and tore my PC apart, inspected it all and found this. Thought I had blown it out the last cleaning. It's the vent to the cooling unit.The fan was dirty, but not clogged. I cleaned it spotless nonetheless. The cooling unit vent here got the good once over, vacuumed, blown, and brushed. Took the power supply out and gave it a good wiping, vacuuming, and blowing. It is an 850-Watt unit Don, going to have to go up to a larger supply. Took the RTX 3060 out and gave it the spotless treatment. And guess what? After all was put back in order and the unit booted completely, I took a flight in MSFS 2020 from KDAN to Blue Ridge without incident! Do any of you fellas know how long it has been since I did that?

Chores to do now, have to go to the vet in Chatham and get the cats. Crossing my fingers that all will go good on my next outing.

Cazzie

Attachment 91331
    Cazzie, I ran into the same thing on the FS2020 exiting prompt. I normally clean my tower with a high pressure air source and mini-vac but apparently missed some parts. Oddly this behavior didn't occur until I updated with one of the last few drivers. Older drivers, no issues. I can only surmise that the newer drivers pushed the GPU a lot harder and consequently got it hotter and the prompt and exit was simply a built in safety to prevent damage? Glad you're back in business.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A comment about disabling "Fast Start" which was brought up on this thread.
    I also have Assetto Corsa installed on my computer besides MSFS, I use a Logitech G920 wheel and pedal setup which requires a software installation to work properly.
    During the last week, every time I started the computer to run Assetto Corsa the wheel did not work, I had to re-install the latest software to get the wheel to work.
    As long as the computer was left on, I could go back to A/C and the wheel would work. If the computer was turned off, the wheel would not work.

I remembered that about a week ago, I turned off "Fast Start", could there be a connection? I went back and turned "Fast Start" on again. The wheel now works every time I turn on A/C even if the computer had been turned off. It seems that with "Fast Start" turned off, it would delete the software for the Wheel and pedal setup when the computer was turned off. With Fast Start turned on, the software was left in place.

While turning "Fast Start may have some advantages to it, it also messes up some programs.
    I will leave it turned on from now on as Microsoft recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post

Cazzie

Attachment 91331
    That sounds great, Caz! That damned dust, hair, etc. can kill performance. Yes, the power supply is minimal now and needs a little increase. Glad you're back on track, buddy!

Don

SOH-CM-2024

Got a 1000-Watt power supply.

Nice and I was able to download MSFS 2020 and all the World Updates. That fragged my C Drive 15%, so I defragged overnight and this morning I took a flight but things at still not hunky-dory. Got a Bandwidth error that my internet signal was too weak and I was going offline. Yup, it's got to be the graphics card, because I was online and getting 506 MBps. New one coming in Tuesday or Wednesday. We'll work this mess out sooner or later.

Cazzie

No, the MSFS sim is notorious for " bandwidth errors". 99% of the time it's them, not you.

Agreed - their servers aren't always up to the task of keeping up with demand.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

SOH-CM-2024
    Well, they did not use to be here, but now I get them with the RTX 3060 card I have and the new 1000-Watt power supply. I had a good 850-Watt power supply that I had been wanting to replace anyhow. Now I have a new graphics card (RTX 3070) coming in Tuesday or Wednesday, God knows with the carrier strikes. Anyhow, I now have all of MSFS that I WANT installed, one can bloatware the SOB quick. The program itself is bloatware! How come it take four hours to five hours to install on an Ethernet getting 506 MBps and yet the SOB will uninstall in less than a minute? Any of you geeks know the reason for that?

Cazzie

Download speeds are as fast as the slowest node between you and the server. Everybody loves to blame MS/Asobo, but the truth is that most of the time, it's out of their control. The install process is two-step - download, then unpack. At least you didn't have to do all the updates individually like you would have if you'd done the disk install! As for uninstalling, it only takes a few seconds to remove some registry and file allocation table entries. If you were actually wiping the disk, that would be another matter.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Download speeds are as fast as the slowest node between you and the server. Everybody loves to blame MS/Asobo, but the truth is that most of the time, it's out of their control. The install process is two-step - download, then unpack. At least you didn't have to do all the updates individually like you would have if you'd done the disk install! As for uninstalling, it only takes a few seconds to remove some registry and file allocation table entries. If you were actually wiping the disk, that would be another matter.
    Yes you are 100% right about that ( download speed ) , i my self always got 99 % of estimated speed , so it must something with servers in between , depends of where you live i think

SOH-CM-2024
    The problem is with Xbox, the service is a total POS! Why M$ has not unloaded the basticks is beyond me. I have to pay the SOBs $20.00/month for their crap service. Even with the new card, everything loads great, but the problem is connectivity on Xbox's end. I keep getting connection lost and you're going offline, bandwidth is too low for streaming. People I have a top tier unit and all is functioning quite well except MSFS due to Xbox. I sure hope that MSFS 2024 has less to do with Xbox, because I am totally done with MSFS 2020 due to Xbox. When M$ can get their Xbox hassles figured out, I'll reinstall the bloatware and even pay the robbers at Xbox their fee. But not until. A man can only stand so much frustration before killing that which is frustrating him and this sim has frustrated my arse and cost me upwards of $600.00 trying to get it to work properly the past month. But due to Xbox and the connectivity issue (and yes I have done all I can do in Command Prompt to work with Xbox) So dirtiest word Xbox, I hope M$ ditches your Sony arse!

Cazzie, gone but not forgotten

Now THAT's what I call a Ragequit! We can all empathise so please Cazzie, take a breather and do something else for a few days...

Are you playing on Gamepass? Not sure what this $20.00 fee you mention is for but I hope it isn't for Xbox Live Gold because that is only for multiplayer and exclusively for consoles. All online functionality is free on PC.

Xbox is Microsoft and Microsoft is Xbox so if you want to play games published by Microsoft on PC you'll be dealing with the Xbox/Microsoft ecosystem.

FWIW, Cazzie, the disconnects must be being triggered by something else in your data pipeline. Because I see maybe one every two weeks unless the service is having outages. (Which has only happened a couple of times.)

That doesn't mean that MS's network code shouldn't be way more robust and not disconnecting. But I wonder if there's an ISP latency or networking delay causing your problems.

Doesn't change the fact that this is annoying AF and isn't anything any customer should have to troubleshoot, of course. But just clarifying this isn't something everyone experiences.

(This is all the fault of the sheep who bought DOS/Windows PCs in the 1980s when they could have had Amigas with decent operating systems and hardware architectures, and saddled us with the Wintel house of cards. But that's a different discussion.)

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    FWIW, Cazzie, the disconnects must be being triggered by something else in your data pipeline. Because I see maybe one every two weeks unless the service is having outages. (Which has only happened a couple of times.)

That doesn't mean that MS's network code shouldn't be way more robust and not disconnecting. But I wonder if there's an ISP latency or networking delay causing your problems.

Doesn't change the fact that this is annoying AF and isn't anything any customer should have to troubleshoot, of course. But just clarifying this isn't something everyone experiences.

(This is all the fault of the sheep who bought DOS/Windows PCs in the 1980s when they could have had Amigas with decent operating systems and hardware architectures, and saddled us with the Wintel house of cards. But that's a different discussion.)
    Just check the screenshots here. I have yet to be able to get anything but offline mode. It's gone and soon will be forgotten. I know what I am doing and Xbox doesn't know bull hockey.

CazzieAttachment 91422Attachment 91428Attachment 91425Attachment 91423Attachment 91427Attachment 91426Attachment 91424

I know you're done, but that "Server connectivity: blocked" in the second screenshot makes me wonder if NAT settings have something to do with the issue.

SOH-CM-2024
    My oldest son is a genius, computer engineer et al, writes in seven codes. He had been reading about my travails and came down and fixed in five minutes what I couldn't do for two weeks! I am up and flying grand people. From his advice, no more MSFS Map Enhancer and any of you using it, well beware. The newer Bing Map textures are just fine with me, much better than before and a dang site better than offline textures! Anyway, thanks to my son, I am back in the ball game.

Cazzie

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I was wondering why your screen shots of the MSFS world map were not "in focus".

I was suspecting that your ISP company was "throttling" you.

So, it was this program running in the background that was causing all of the connection loses?

I'm glad it has been resolved for you.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    I was wondering why your screen shots of the MSFS world map were not "in focus".

I was suspecting that your ISP company was "throttling" you.

So, it was this program running in the background that was causing all of the connection loses?

I'm glad it has been resolved for you.
    No, the problem was with Xbox connectivity. It may have been possible my ISP was throttling Xbox's servers, I know not. But my son did some of his magic and all is so good now. I even have my DisplayPort working, it's much better than HDMI for MSFS.

Image is actually 4HD, downsized for web. Live weather, actual time, Bijon Seasons Late Summer/Early Fall, Bijon 3D trees. Pretty much all Ultra, except trees are far too many on Ultra or High, so I set them to Low and it looks much more real. V-Sync Off, Low Latencency On.

Cazzie

Attachment 91440

The likely culprit all along was just the MSFS Map "Enhancer" (concerning your connection issues, anyways), a tool so broken that it's earned the title of being the only addon that Microsoft explicitly does NOT recommend. Not only does it modify base game files it also alters Windows system host files.

The most common issue? Low bandwidth and poor connection to the servers.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...ine/464121/103

Members who have read this thread: 2