SWS Midway Battle Group Problems

Thread: SWS Midway Battle Group Problems

SWS Midway Battle Group Problems

I reinstalled the SimWorks Studios Midway Battle Group package a couple days ago and I hope there are enough tailhookers here to help me resolve some problems...
    (1) I have no FLOLS "meatball" lights on my USS Coral Sea (CVA-43) 1965.
    (2) Taildragger aircraft like Tim Conrad's A-1H Skyraider assume a horizontal position on the catapults (see screenshot), as if they had a nose wheel. I know the Midway package is geared toward modern jet aircraft, but SWS provided "preset" parameters for Tim's Spad so I'd expect to see it in a normal tail-down position.
    (3) Tim's Spad does a series of backflips as soon as it leaves the cat on any of the three carriers.
    Any help would be appreciated, even a referral to past threads here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-1H_on_Cat.jpg  

Jerry,

I have the SWS Midway Class installed and I do have a FLOLS. And the Skyraider is catapulted in a correct way, as it should. The only thing that's amiss is the trap-wire. The plane is cought, but goes on and ditches in the sea.

Cees

Always Helpful

I have found SWS to be very prompt and helpful in the past. Reach out to them with an email or contact form and see what the response is which you can post here for others.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I have found SWS to be very prompt and helpful in the past. Reach out to them with an email or contact form and see what the response is which you can post here for others.
    I agree with your comment about SWS support, Alex and his crew have helped me in the past. I think that's my next move and I'll pass on whatever they tell me for troubleshooting. Setting up their carriers for full functioning is more labor-intensive than just selecting a ship in AICarriers and flying aboard.

TARPS, there were problems in the early days of the Midway Battle Group with it overwriting panel.dll files and other bugs. SOH member Delta-Lima had a similar problem as yours with the aircraft lining up on the cat with the fuselage horizontal angle at 0 degrees - his ac was the RFN F-8 and it lined up with nose wheel on deck but the mains were off the deck. See the link below for his fix. I had a more serious problems and ultimately had to remove it.

Here are the SOH threads

1. delta_lime's issue - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1222055

2. My problem - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...SWS+USS+Midway
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Trying to alter the deck layout I get this:

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Trying to alter the deck layout I get this: (pics)
    Cees
    More SWS weirdness... Haven't attempted to reinstall the package, per our PM conversation. Now my FSX-SE is crashing when I exit a flight or exit the sim, so I can't save a damn flight and I have to manually close AI Carriers. Not blaming SimWorks, had the same problem on my previous install of FSX-SE. If I can find my FSX/Acceleration CD's I may go back to them.
    I see you're flying Piglet's A-1H Skyraider - great airplane, both Piglet's and the real thing. First aircraft I ever launched in the Navy. I was 18 at NAS Glenview and standing by with a CO2 bottle when the pilot cranked the engine. That prop looked like one of your classic Dutch windmills turning until the engine fired up and put it into full spin. Can't remember what I had for supper two days ago but sending off that Spad is still in my brain like it was yesterday.

SWS installs wipe your dll file clean, so use a backup to get FSX running.

The version I have installed of the Midway Battle Group is 20200131. Are there newer versions?
    Edit: There isn't a newer version I visited the SWS site and downloaded 20200131 again. Google learned that the deck config doesn't work with the Midway class addon. Instead you must use the aircraft configuration tool, wich will add entries to the panel cfg, windows that depict the three carriers in wich you can place aircraft. Admitted: I'm a bit rusty in flightsim matters these days. Senior trouble or lack of knowledge? I think it's the last.

Cees
    Last edited by Cees Donker; June 23rd, 2023 at 06:21. Reason: new info

Admitted: I'm a bit rusty in flightsim matters these days. Senior trouble or lack of knowledge? I think it's the last.
    Cees
    I decided to give up on the SimWorks Studios package for now - maybe come back to it later. The package you emailed me didn't work out, I couldn't launch aircraft. Hit Shift + Space Bar and my plane went forward a little bit then just sat there. And I'm tired of the constant power/power/power/wave-off calls when I'm trying to land.

Pity that you give up! Plenty of eye candy with this addon!

Cees

The SWS Midway and Coral Sea are beautiful ships... when you're finally able to land on them and look around without getting wave-offs or bolters.
    Cees, it looks like you have the SWS package working OK for you now?

Yes I have!

Cees

That is good news. Have a good day at your music gig and I'll get back to you later on the SWS install.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    That is good news. Have a good day at your music gig and I'll get back to you later on the SWS install.
    It was a great gig! Thank you!

Cees

Ultimately if you guys have any tips to share about what you did to get yours working it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to use mine.
    Duckie

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Ultimately if you guys have any tips to share about what you did to get yours working it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to use mine.
    Steve, what is it you have not working? The deck manager?

Cees

Steve, what is it you have not working? The deck manager?

Cees
    Cees, I haven’t had installed for a good while now. I had several several things going on.

1. I could never get aboard, similar situation as TARPSBird. I could get aboard every other carrier I had but not Midway.
    2. cats never worked for me.
    3. deck manager never worked.

While working on these problems it was discovered that the install was overwriting .dll files and causing lots of headaches for other folks as well. After several un/re-installs of the MBG it finally broke my FSX. FSX would not shut down. I had to do a total reinstall of the sim. Haven’t tried it since.

Steve
    Duckie

While working on these problems it was discovered that the install was overwriting .dll files and causing lots of headaches for other folks as well.

Duckie, I noticed that too. The Midway Battle Group install overwrote my dll.xml file and deleted the command lines for FSUIPC. I have key commands in FSUIPC that I use. If I attempt to install it again I'll copy my dll.xml file and keep the FSUIPC lines from getting zapped.

I gave up on SWS - their phantom and ships - a while ago. Could not get the arresting wires to work and also had trouble using the ships with other non-SWS aircraft, which is a shame as they are nice carriers.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I gave up on SWS - their phantom and ships - a while ago. Could not get the arresting wires to work and also had trouble using the ships with other non-SWS aircraft, which is a shame as they are nice carriers.
    That's about where I am right now. Spent a lot of time last week trying to get everything working right with no success.
    I'm also not real crazy about having to configure each airplane I want to use with the SWS carriers. Wouldn't mind if I could trap aboard without the constant wave-offs, and launch without my plane being at a weird angle on the cat.

Members who have read this thread: 1