Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 Trailer - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 Trailer

Like many have already stated, FS was released just about every two years for a while. It was no problem. We bought it. Every new version was superior to the last. We were happy as long as the previous version's aircraft and all that payware and mesh (all 32 different types of mesh!) and airports would still work. Then we hit FSX and it went dry for many years. During those years, developers rung out everything they could out of that sim, and it kept us , or many of us, simming for over a decade. Not bad, IMHO! In 2020, right in the middle of a world pandemic, MS drops a NEW one! Superior to FSX isn't the word! Far from bug-free, it breathed life into simming. Scenery was real-world. Amazing. There's my house kind of stuff! Cool. They updated it and to me, seemed to drag their feet a bit. Now, three years in, 2024 is announced. Yippee! I am hoping what the clip shows is a default sim. I see beautiful seasons, name brand AI, beautiful scenery, though they do need to put the guns in the snout of the A-10. That is a bit much. I'll be there on opening day. They already stated 2020 objects will work with 2024. Looking forward to it. While I am not crazy about missions per say, I hope they do allow one to choose those mission planes and free fly them. Looking forward to following its development. I just hope it isn't bent more towards kids and X-Box, and they remember there is a world full of seasoned pilots and simmers who still want "as real as it gets".

Don BP

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    As long as we still have a flight sim, I don't mind having those elements which I can always ignore. But I do want the franchise to stay economically healthy, by developing in directions that are going to be sustainable.

August
    Say it again, only louder for those in the back!

People keep wondering about support for the current sim going forward. The dev's promised a 10-year path, so to renege on that wouldn't be very good for their reputation. So for now, I'll choose to remain optimistic about the remaining seven years.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Say it again, only louder for those in the back!

People keep wondering about support for the current sim going forward. The dev's promised a 10-year path, so to renege on that wouldn't be very good for their reputation. So for now, I'll choose to remain optimistic about the remaining seven years.
    I like to be optimistic. However, in Microsoft's case the line of dead lovers is long. They are ruthless when it comes to cutting losses. Look at the VR headset and software, for one recent example.
    The statement from the MS rep said that they would continue to support 2020 "POST" 2024. How long is "POST"? One year, five years, or until enough people migrate to 2024 that they don't care if they pissoff the 2020 diehards.

We old folks need to remember that the young kids coming up have no memory of FS9 or FSX. They are only interested in what is available today. That is Microsoft's future market and who they will cater too.

That being said, if 2024 is a good product and offer me something more than what 2020 offers, I have no problem forking out another $60-$100 bucks. I have saved much more than that by not having to purchase HBO, Disney, etc. to entertain myself. Software is all going to subscription anyway, I am surprised MSFS hasn’t done so.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    I assume wine or beer must be really expensive in your area
    Washington State, USA. A good draft beer is $7. A cocktail is $12-16.

So $60 for a game covers a couple of $20 entrees, tip, tax, and a couple of Cokes. If you and your date get booze too, we're into Premium Deluxe Edition pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post

So $60 for a game covers a couple of $20 entrees, tip, tax, and a couple of Cokes. If you and your date get booze too, we're into Premium Deluxe Edition pricing.
    Glad I drank when drafts were 5 for a buck and a mixed drink was $1.50, $2.00 for name brand hooch!

Don BP

It might be kind of nice if they told us what the specs they were shooting for are. The trailer looks nice but if it can only be run on a Google server it's kind of worthless. I suspect that if a computer can run 2020 it will run 2024 but maybe not all the bells and whistles. Still, it would be nice to have some idea.

As jmig said Microsoft has a long list of dead lovers and so do just about every major developer. Trust nothing they say and consider FS2020 done and dead. Major developers are greedy as hell, if they could they would kick down your door and cut out your kidney for 20 bucks.

The one thing that MAY make it 10 years is keeping the basic functions to keep 2020 "runable", everything else will be taken out back and shot soon a possible.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

It strikes me that they are catering more toward the gamer market than smaller simmer market. Was not tempted by MSFS2020 which is a shame as I have been doing this since Bruce Artwick and SubLogic. Hopefully LM will come up with a v6 of P3D.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    It strikes me that they are catering more toward the gamer market than smaller simmer market. Was not tempted by MSFS2020 which is a shame as I have been doing this since Bruce Artwick and SubLogic. Hopefully LM will come up with a v6 of P3D.
    If they were only focused on gamer market, we wouldn't have got any realism, any deep avionics or anything like that.
    MS simply understood that a sim that focus its features and developments on realism ONLY will get sales volumes similar to XPlane and P3D.
    However, adding a bit of gaming experience to the sim not only does not damage anything in the realism area (quite the opposite, in fact), but ALSO dramatically increase the sales volumes, which increases the revenues, which allows for further developments of additional realism and (gaming or not) features.

Truth (partly) is, these gaming features not only bring them money, but they also justify/motivate the development of some interesting (sim-wise) additional functionalities such as carrier ops, towing, sling, rescue crew, and so on, on a further-evolved stage than what we had in the previous sims.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Trust nothing they say and consider FS2020 done and dead.
    Heheh.... Au contraire, maestro...It has only just begun.

Major developers are greedy as hell
    No doubt about it but they are not crazy. Asobo is not crazy either. Kill the chicken that lays the golden eggs ? That *would* be crazy ! They have created MS2020, in many aspects superior to any other flightsim and certainly anything else from the FS franchise before (including P3D). Done and dead ?? After only 3 years ?? Come on !! It's the finest base program MS/Asobo could wish for. It is of course totally ment to build upon, make it better and create new stuff for atleast for the promised 10 years but most probabely beyond that.

'New stuff' sure but not 'New Simulator'. The only thing that'll maybe be 'done and dead' is the name "MSFS2020". That will be chanced to "MSFS2024" . And that's what it's all about, suggesting that it's a NEW Simulator because it is called 'MS2024'. Clever huh ?

The one thing that MAY make it 10 years is keeping the basic functions to keep 2020 "runable"
    There you go, it's not difficult.

everything else will be taken out back and shot soon a possible.
    What would *that* be ?.... Everything else will be left alone, patched or upgraded. Just about as it always has been with all FS versions before with the only but severly big difference that we don't have to buy a new computer anymore along with the new version and don't have to remove the old version neither. The one and only Marketplace *Buy* button will always be there for you to click or not to click. That's the question.

If you hit the *Buy* button you get the new and upgraded stuff along with the new name, if you don't you just keep throttling along with MS2020 for 10 years and beyond.
    Last edited by Javis; June 13th, 2023 at 02:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post

Have you tried MSFS 2020? Maybe on a mate's rig or at one of the shows? I would urge you to if you can. I was a P3D man and very sceptical. Then I tried MSFS 2020 and flew over my home town in the UK and over a few US West Coast locations that I love> Then I flew the Flying Iron Spitfire out of the freeware Duxford. No brainer after that. Never looked back.

Rumor has it that there will be a Jurassic Park DLC in the new sim. Sadly, no Teletubbie rescue. However, inside sources tell me that rescuing sailors from the island of nymphomaniacs will most likely be the biggest and most anticipated mission challenge.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post

Certainly they're somewhat cheaper here in Spain, but not as much as in wonderful places such as Prague (Czech), where beer was actually cheaper than mineral water the last time I visited there

Obviously I might refuse the new sim when it arrives, NOT for the economic cost, but for having to face yet another long learning curve, adapt and update everything to your tastes, etc. only for (apparently) a handful of new add-on aircraft and lots of missions (goals) in which I'm not interested. Not to mention the presumable changes in required hardware.

Anyhow, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    Certainly they're somewhat cheaper here in Spain, but not as much as in wonderful places such as Prague (Czech), where beer was actually cheaper than mineral water the last time I visited there Obviously I might refuse the new sim when it arrives, NOT for the economic cost, but for having to face yet another long learning curve, adapt and update everything to your tastes, etc. only for (apparently) a handful of new add-on aircraft and lots of missions (goals) in which I'm not interested. Not to mention the presumable changes in required hardware.Anyhow, time will tell.
    I look at it somewhat differently. As I get older, I really believe that the challenges in flight simulation (learning curve, adapting to new options, tools, etc..) help exercise my feeble mind! NC

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Rumor has it that there will be a Jurassic Park DLC in the new sim. Sadly, no Teletubbie rescue. However, inside sources tell me that rescuing sailors from the island of nymphomaniacs will most likely be the biggest and most anticipated mission challenge.
    Thanks for making me smile with that one. Not happy after M$ is f*****g us over royally once again.

Mods/admins: I didn't use the language, I put the * there myself so that adults would catch my drift...

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Sadly, no Teletubbie rescue.
    That's where the A-10s come into play.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Wait a second; "Rescuing sailors FROM the island of nymphomaniacs"??? It should be TAKING sailors TO that dream-come-true island! NC

I went from FSX to X-Plane 11, while I waited for the dust to settle on FS2020 so I could finally spec out my new computer hardware. Seems I missed the boat.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

It will be nice with my future RTX 5090 TI !
    Always doubting is close to the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by zetar View Post
    It will be nice with my future RTX 5090 TI !
    Sounds nice, but I'm not quite ready to take on a second mortgage 🤣

I have read some of the comments by those who paid once and want to keep using it with free updates forever, but you really can't run a business like that. I am fine with having to buy once every four years or so, if for no other reason than to keep them in business. It's either that or you pay a subscription fee.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

In my perfect world........ :-)

When MSFS 2024 is released, all of the goofy adventures, sights seeing flights and non-flight hour accumulation related achievement silliness will be migrated out of MSFS 2022 and over to MSFS 2024. Obviously, those things are more in line with that new direction anyway and would be a bit redundant to have in two different sims out at the same time.

Then if that happens maybe we can finally get a frickin' logbook that actually works. The wanky logbook is really about the only thing in MSFS now that bothers me.

Forest

2024 will have the same response as 2020. Maybe even less from Xbox users. All the Xbox critics I've read were not impressed with 2020, for lack of anything "exciting" to do. So "careers", isn't really going to change anything IMO. Those types of "missions" are gimmicky at best. And replay value is low because they're probably all single player oriented. Can only imagine the the backlash they will get when an Flash Light equipped A-10 shows up instead of with a functioning gun. The only ones that seem fair as "exiting and "replayable" at least IMO, will be Red Bull, and the Aerial Fire Fighting. I'm not knocking the other "careers" but those are a niche sort of excitement level. I'd enjoy it, but will tens of thousands of others? I'm guessing no. They require more skill, more controls, and more time invested to learn and do. So if you're on PC, you're probably liking that. But if you're on XbOX I can't imagine that. Maybe my imagination is totally off....but I do have a bunch of kids, and my son wouldn't even be interested in anything other than probably Red Bull stuff. I feel like MS is avoiding the elephant in the room and trying to just put lipstick on it instead of addressing it. They won't do military ops for whatever reason. Good luck with that. The opinions of the over 40 crowd are not who they are marketing to....which is hilarious since I spent more money on a single controller stick for my setup this year than I did on games with game pass. And I stand to spend a lot more for my setup. I would spend that money on another good mil-sim as well. Kind of funny they're choosing this hill to die on when it could be solved with an option menu switch for those who didn't want fully militarized aviation. 2023 is turning out to be the year of voting with my wallet. Here's to all that being hogwash, and it being an amazing sim that exceeds expectations! I'd rather see that happen, for sure! My .02.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    Matt Booty, head of Microsoft Studios, heavily implies this is an update to the existing platform in an interview with Jeff Grubb of Giant Bomb:

Jeff Grubb: "Flight Simulator 2024, this is a new release, right?"

Matt Booty: "Yeah, so the team felt, there was enough improvement in what we are doing with graphics, it doesn't come through, sometimes I say to them, you guys are being a little subtle, and they assume that everybody is an airplane nerd. I don't know if you noticed, there's a tornado in that trailer. It's not canned, it happens because we're simulating weather. So, their advances in graphics in terms of how they're simulating the atmosphere and the flight dynamics, they felt it was enough of a leap forward to call it 2024, that'll be the new baseline going forward."

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessEasy...gZARe69aHYVGHO
    Now THIS has caught my interest, weather engine upgraded enough to generate tornados?? Wow! They've already announced that most if not all addons should carry over, and that marketplace purchases will not need to be re-purchased. FWIW my read is this is FS2020 with enough core updates to justify making it a new version. I'd be interested if an "upgrade" price is announced closer to the time for existing users. Seems to be that all will be good going forward, and this is part of the development cycle of this awesome sim.
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

SOH-CM-2024

Count me in, because I'll buy the show.

Heck, might even built a super rod to handle it and MSFS 2020. What else does a 77 year old crippled man have to do with his SSN $$$ and savings? Flight sim and moreover, the ability to create liveries and scenery are about the only true pleasures I get out of life anymore, my lower extremities are a train wreck, but my brain is intact and I like to use it. Flight sim allows me to use my brain. I have every sim from FS5 on. So you'll hear no gripes out of me, even though MSFS 2020 gave me three BSODs yesterday. All were my fault, because my dang fingers move too fast in creating scenery at times and I tap the wrong key.

Cazzie

Members who have read this thread: 1