FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109G-6 Released 6/14 - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109G-6 Released 6/14

Yes, very happy! In all honesty, I had found out just a day prior to having started on the repaint (back on June 21st) that this was going to be in the next issue.

In the Classic Wings article on the restoration of Bf 109G-6 WkNr.410077, the owner/pilot Dr. Bruce "Doc" Winter writes his thoughts thus-far on flying the 109, and some comparisons to the P-51D (which he has about 1,000 hrs flight time). Even though he is still new to flying the 109, the landings that I've seen him do are really the smoothest I've seen anyone do in the 109.

Doc Winter's write-up on flying the 109:

"Now that I have had about 15 hours I can share my first impressions. Certainly worth mentioning that I really look forward to each flight, trying to take her up as often as I can. She is a very rewarding fighter to fly; there is always excitement during each flight and a feeling of accomplishment at the end of each flight. But let's start at the walk down and pre-flight. As you walk up to her on the ramp the excitement really builds with the realization that this IS the iconic World War II Luftwaffe enemy fighter, the ME109G-6. Two things are apparent, she is sinister looking even on the ground and she is SMALL. After pre-flight you open the side hinged birdcage, heavy canopy (which is a definite liability to a good visual scan) and squeeze into the very small cockpit that is well laid out, organized and simple. Shoulders pressed against fuselage in the small raked back seat and no seat or pedal adjustment solidifies the fact it is better to be smaller in stature as a 109 fighter pilot. The start of the Daimler Benz 605A is the best, definitely different from the Merlin and about seven liters bigger displacement. There is a deeper rhythmic lumbering sound to the DB, with the feel of power. Throttle movement is very small for large power changes, with overall throttle travel quite short. Most throttle adjustments require only two fingers to push slowly, small increments. She is definitely more tail heavy and with only a castoring tail wheel for taxi, differential braking and power are used for tracking. Takeoff gives you a hint of the acceleration and power to weight of this little fighter. Lockable tail wheel with a delayed raising of the tail, to a tail low attitude, helps result in a straight track normal takeoff with no usage of brakes. Very quick acceleration and a short time on the runway leads to a quick takeoff. Push button for gear up followed by manually controlling the propeller pitch and thus engine RPM, followed by manually bringing up the flaps and manual elevator trim control (the only adjustable in-flight trim) using two wheels outboard of your left hip. Ensure T's and P's are good. With a lower seat position you feel like you are sitting on top of that VERY small wing as she accelerates away. Then it is manually adjusting coolant doors for good stable temps and switching to Auto Prop (constant speed prop position). She flies really well. Mike, Dave and Steve at Midwest did an outstanding job with her restoration, flying so true and well balanced on the controls with hardly any need of fixed trim tab adjustments on the ground.

Specifically, she accelerates very quickly; she is overall - very fast; rolls quickly - the push/pull tubing for controls help with this fast initial displacement - elevator is effective but stiffens at higher speeds; very yaw-axis-sensitive, needing constant readjustment with any slight changes in roll, pitch or power, more so than the Mustang. But there are also advantages with the ability for commanded yaw in a guns only fight. I am still a novice in the aircraft and have not pushed her hard at all, nor will I ever, but she sure is exciting to fly. Back in the break for the landing pattern, gear push button down at 250 kph (155 mph) and there is the need to leave time to crank all the flaps down with the hand wheel. She is very stable requiring very little throttle adjustment and seems quite happy to be set up all dirty and 200 kph (124 mph) downwind. Then begin a continuous turn to final, slowing to 185 kph (115 mph) once on the short final over the fence and then bring the throttle to idle for a nice smooth unhurried transitioning to the three point attitude for landing. Power idle, patience in the three point attitude and landing straight down the runway seem key to a nice recovery. The leading edge slats operate perfectly and seamlessly as designed. I never notice their symmetric travel from extension in the landing pattern to retraction on takeoff.

I have only flown my sorties when the weather and winds are quite calm. Landing and roll out can be smooth and straight and relatively short. The two iconic adversary fighters are definitely different - Mustang/109 - but there is six years in aeronautical engineering development between the 109, first built in 1935, and the Mustang. The 109 is almost the smallest fuselage and wings you could wrap around a 35-litre DB engine with only 400 liters (105.6 US gallons) internal fuel. The 109 is at least 907 kg (2,000 lbs) lighter, with 1.5 m (five ft) less wing! But it is 80 kph (50 mph) slower than the Mustang in the mid 20K's! She behaves nicely when you pay attention to what all the old experts advise and operate her in benign conditions. I have been fortunate to have learned a great deal from all of the old hands and treat her gently under real good weather conditions to safely gain good flying experience. I am nowhere near done exploring our beautiful historic 109 - not even close!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Yes, very happy! In all honesty, I had found out just a day prior to having started on the repaint (back on June 21st) that this was going to be in the next issue.

In the Classic Wings article on the restoration of Bf 109G-6 WkNr.410077, the owner/pilot Dr. Bruce "Doc" Winter writes his thoughts thus-far on flying the 109, and some comparisons to the P-51D (which he has about 1,000 hrs flight time). Even though he is still new to flying the 109, the landings that I've seen him do are really the smoothest I've seen anyone do in the 109.

Doc Winter's write-up on flying the 109:

"Now that I have had about 15 hours I can share my first impressions. Certainly worth mentioning that I really look forward to each flight, trying to take her up as often as I can. She is a very rewarding fighter to fly; there is always excitement during each flight and a feeling of accomplishment at the end of each flight. But let's start at the walk down and pre-flight. As you walk up to her on the ramp the excitement really builds with the realization that this IS the iconic World War II Luftwaffe enemy fighter, the ME109G-6. Two things are apparent, she is sinister looking even on the ground and she is SMALL. After pre-flight you open the side hinged birdcage, heavy canopy (which is a definite liability to a good visual scan) and squeeze into the very small cockpit that is well laid out, organized and simple. Shoulders pressed against fuselage in the small raked back seat and no seat or pedal adjustment solidifies the fact it is better to be smaller in stature as a 109 fighter pilot. The start of the Daimler Benz 605A is the best, definitely different from the Merlin and about seven liters bigger displacement. There is a deeper rhythmic lumbering sound to the DB, with the feel of power. Throttle movement is very small for large power changes, with overall throttle travel quite short. Most throttle adjustments require only two fingers to push slowly, small increments. She is definitely more tail heavy and with only a castoring tail wheel for taxi, differential braking and power are used for tracking. Takeoff gives you a hint of the acceleration and power to weight of this little fighter. Lockable tail wheel with a delayed raising of the tail, to a tail low attitude, helps result in a straight track normal takeoff with no usage of brakes. Very quick acceleration and a short time on the runway leads to a quick takeoff. Push button for gear up followed by manually controlling the propeller pitch and thus engine RPM, followed by manually bringing up the flaps and manual elevator trim control (the only adjustable in-flight trim) using two wheels outboard of your left hip. Ensure T's and P's are good. With a lower seat position you feel like you are sitting on top of that VERY small wing as she accelerates away. Then it is manually adjusting coolant doors for good stable temps and switching to Auto Prop (constant speed prop position). She flies really well. Mike, Dave and Steve at Midwest did an outstanding job with her restoration, flying so true and well balanced on the controls with hardly any need of fixed trim tab adjustments on the ground.

Specifically, she accelerates very quickly; she is overall - very fast; rolls quickly - the push/pull tubing for controls help with this fast initial displacement - elevator is effective but stiffens at higher speeds; very yaw-axis-sensitive, needing constant readjustment with any slight changes in roll, pitch or power, more so than the Mustang. But there are also advantages with the ability for commanded yaw in a guns only fight. I am still a novice in the aircraft and have not pushed her hard at all, nor will I ever, but she sure is exciting to fly. Back in the break for the landing pattern, gear push button down at 250 kph (155 mph) and there is the need to leave time to crank all the flaps down with the hand wheel. She is very stable requiring very little throttle adjustment and seems quite happy to be set up all dirty and 200 kph (124 mph) downwind. Then begin a continuous turn to final, slowing to 185 kph (115 mph) once on the short final over the fence and then bring the throttle to idle for a nice smooth unhurried transitioning to the three point attitude for landing. Power idle, patience in the three point attitude and landing straight down the runway seem key to a nice recovery. The leading edge slats operate perfectly and seamlessly as designed. I never notice their symmetric travel from extension in the landing pattern to retraction on takeoff.

I have only flown my sorties when the weather and winds are quite calm. Landing and roll out can be smooth and straight and relatively short. The two iconic adversary fighters are definitely different - Mustang/109 - but there is six years in aeronautical engineering development between the 109, first built in 1935, and the Mustang. The 109 is almost the smallest fuselage and wings you could wrap around a 35-litre DB engine with only 400 liters (105.6 US gallons) internal fuel. The 109 is at least 907 kg (2,000 lbs) lighter, with 1.5 m (five ft) less wing! But it is 80 kph (50 mph) slower than the Mustang in the mid 20K's! She behaves nicely when you pay attention to what all the old experts advise and operate her in benign conditions. I have been fortunate to have learned a great deal from all of the old hands and treat her gently under real good weather conditions to safely gain good flying experience. I am nowhere near done exploring our beautiful historic 109 - not even close!"
    Guess I'll have to take the FlyingIron one up another time later. That sounds like the simulation is very much spot on. (As you already commented earlier)

It's also nice that someone in the US describing the plane as a machine and enjoying the engineering and craftmenship that went into the design. Of course the purpose it was built for can never be denied, but still it is a fascinating aircraft.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

John, you did a new benchmark of FlyingIron Bf-109 repaints with the 410077. Thank you very much. I love it.

My repaints of D-FWME of the Messerschmitt Foundation Germany and D-FMGS of the Air Fighter Academy are now published. You get very accurate figures of the real planes as of today, too. I have changed the spinners on both Bf 109s, too. Together with the individual markings, and the subsequent adjustment to the original RLM colors, that was the main work. Due of MSFS shaders, I changed the origninal RLM colors a bit. Both repaints do fine with 4K.

DFWME6 by TiAr, auf Flickr

DFWME5 by TiAr, auf Flickr

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...tt-foundation/

And Air Fighters Academy D-FMGS

D-FMGS5 by TiAr, auf Flickr

D-FMGS6 by TiAr, auf Flickr

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...lack-8-d-fmgs/

Hope you like my work.

Thomas

Thanks Spook, off to download now. Very nice work.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Thanks Spook, off to download now. Very nice work.
    Thanks , Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mugel View Post
    Guess I'll have to take the FlyingIron one up another time later. That sounds like the simulation is very much spot on. (As you already commented earlier)It's also nice that someone in the US describing the plane as a machine and enjoying the engineering and craftmenship that went into the design. Of course the purpose it was built for can never be denied, but still it is a fascinating aircraft.
    Already out there since a while ago and not about the 'ohne O nine' , but an intresting take about ones expectations never the less: https://www.flyingmag.com/aircrafts-...-p-51-mustang/
    They all start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience .
    The trick is, to fill the bag with experience before you run out of luck . . .

Quote Originally Posted by J.Case View Post
    Already out there since a while ago and not about the 'ohne O nine' , but an intresting take about ones expectations never the less: https://www.flyingmag.com/aircrafts-...-p-51-mustang/
    Good read, thanks for the hint!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Very early wip.
    snap02294 by Danny Best, on Flickr

Thank you, Thomas and Spook, for sharing your fantastic Bf 109 liveries! I'll have to take a break from painting to do check those out. The Hermann Graf paint scheme is looking great too!

"Black 6 Returns to Duxford"

Halfway through this past week, I made a switch in direction with my repaint of the Bf 109G-2/Trop "Black 6" - instead of portraying it as it looked in the early 90s, I decided to completely redo it as it looks now, since its restoration completed in 2002. The main reason being that the stenciling is more accurate now than it was when painted in the 90s, and I have much better photos to work from to show as it has looked since 2002, compared to photos from 1991-97. So, it is now meant to appear as if it were pulled out of museum display at RAF Cosford and brought back into operation again, with the camouflage demarcations, stenciling and markings all made to match the way it is painted at present. Obviously I would love to knock off the blisters on the cowling and wings to make it better resemble the G-2 variant if possible. 'Black 6' was really one of the biggest stars among the airshow-going warbirds back in the 90s, and from the moment I first saw it in a documentary about its restoration, I fell in love, just as so many others did. During the 90s, it was the first and only genuine WWII German combat aircraft that had been returned to flight, and other than the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum's Fw 190A-5, is the only one that will likely ever be restored to fly with such a large percentage of its original material. My repaint of 'Black 6' is available here: https://flightsim.to/file/58207/mess...0639-ex-g-ustv

Like my repaint of WkNr. 410077 (N42109), a couple extra details have been added to the cockpit textures, matching the restoration (placard and serial number on cannon fairing):

Hi John, you've changed the colour of the pilot's helmet. Would you mind to elaborate on that please?

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

For the default MSFS modern USAF fighter pilot model, I've done a couple repaints of the helmet - one to look like a Carbon fiber finish, and another to mimic the look of leather (like the Campbell leather-covered hard shell helmets). In this case, I also repainted the flying suit black and gave him white gloves (which rather matches up to flight gear worn with 'Black 6' back in the 90s). All just for personal use for the time being - nothing I'd be proud to share publicly. FlyingIron have said they're working on a period-dressed pilot for the 109 to be included in a future update.

Next up will be fulfilling a request I received to do a repaint of the Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Museum Bf 109G-4 N109GY, but it will take at least two weeks before it's completed (WkNr.410077/N42109 took about 130 hours to do, and N109GY will probably be about the same).
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; July 16th, 2023 at 16:29.

A great piece of work as ever John !

Thank you, Richard!

One more masterpiece from Mr John Terrell!!!

J-705 is coming soon.

J-705_1 by TiAr, auf Flickr

J-705 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Thomas

Swiss J-705 is still available.

J-705_7 by TiAr, auf Flickr

J-705_5 by TiAr, auf Flickr

J-705_4 by TiAr, auf Flickr

History:
    In April 1944, Switzerland came somewhat surprisingly into possession of 12 brand new Bf 109 G-6s despite a strict export ban at the time. How did such a thing come about? It all started with an emergency landing of a Messerschmitt Bf-110G at Dübendorf. The Germans were very annoyed: the night fighter was equipped with a top secret radar for night fights and information about it was not allowed to reach the Allies. In secret talks the following deal was made: Switzerland would destroy the Bf-110 and in return would receive these fully equipped G-6s for a unit price of 500,000 Swiss francs.

The first tranche included the J-705, which was delivered in May 1944 in the standard RLM76/74/75 livery. It was the first to receive the current Swiss Air Force camouflage livery, followed by the white nose - finally supplemented in September 1944 by red and white stripes on the wings and fuselage bands. These neutrality stripes were introduced so that neutral aircraft could be better identified as such by the Allies. J-705 was used by Flieger Regiment 2, Flight Squadron 7, and was stationed at Sion Airfield, Sion.

However, Switzerland had little joy with the Bf 109 G-6s, as the engines had many manufacturing defects due to wartime production and engine damage occurred after only a few hours of operation. The Bf 109 G-6s therefore remained in troop service only until about 1946. J-705 was removed from the Swiss register on 8.9.1947 and scrapped at CH-Dübendorf.

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...6-swiss-j-705/

Thomas

Thank you, Thomas! That is another I will need to add to my hangar, and I like the detail on the prop tips. It's quite an interesting history pertaining to the Swiss AF.

Earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about all of the Bf 109s that are currently airworthy in the world. Briefly going back to that, there has been an interesting development this week in which all of the warbirds belonging to Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy, based at Heringsdorf, Germany, have been sold to a new owner. This includes the airworthy Bf 109G-6 D-FMGS, the airworthy Bf 109G-14 D-FMGV, and the Bf 109E-3 WkNr. 2372 (currently under advanced restoration to fly at MeierMotors), among other types. There should be info released within the next few days as to who the new owner is.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; July 20th, 2023 at 14:45.

I have uploaded this paint to .to.

snap02329 by Danny Best, on Flickr
    snap02318 by Danny Best, on Flickr
    snap02319 by Danny Best, on Flickr

Used to be simple

Used to be simple...
    Ok, example...tried to change "FlyingIron BF 109G-6 'Wilde Sau" to "Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 'Wilde Sau", on aircraft.cfg, Title.
    Done this, changing titles on all 109 aircraft including new available textures. When I load MSFS got all the 109´s listed just like they were before, "FlyingIron", no mention to Messerchmitt. Wonder why this happens. Modify json, as well? ui_variation? Tried to install on an empty Community folder, same result. Need help, please
    Regards

Change the "ui_manufacturer" line.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Change the "ui_manufacturer" line.
    Thank you, Tom.
    Was not sure about changing "ui.manufacturer". So, for me personnaly, and following your advice, changed it for "Messerschmitt". Then tried in "ui.variation", squadron, type, pilot name and markings. Prefer it this way. When selecting a plane got the maker and title that I choose. Think will do the same with my other FlyingIron planes...
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about all of the Bf 109s that are currently airworthy in the world. Briefly going back to that, there has been an interesting development this week in which all of the warbirds belonging to Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy, based at Heringsdorf, Germany, have been sold to a new owner. This includes the airworthy Bf 109G-6 D-FMGS, the airworthy Bf 109G-14 D-FMGV, and the Bf 109E-3 WkNr. 2372 (currently under advanced restoration to fly at MeierMotors), among other types. There should be info released within the next few days as to who the new owner is.
    Just a quick follow-up to my last post - it was made public in the German press this week that the new owner of the Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy warbirds and museum is Munich-based businessman and vintage aircraft collector Karl-Friedemann Grimminger. He plans on keeping the aircraft and museum operating where they are, at Heringsdorf, but the museum will likely be renamed "Luftraum Nord" (Airspace North), and will be operated in conjunction with his already-established public museum in Aalen, called "Luftraum Süd" (Airspace South). I've long been a fan of his all-silver painted Hawker Hurricane G-CBOE, which has been displayed at airshows around Europe.

https://www.kron4.com/business/press...schung-global/

Members who have read this thread: 3