FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109G-6 Released 6/14 - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109G-6 Released 6/14

Repair the oil line and get the ground crew to clean the wind screen. Lucky you weren't killed on take off. Many were in real life.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

If you fail to let the oil warm up before you push the power up, or fail to get the radiator doors open and boil over the coolant, or run too long at high power settings and destroy the engine, you'll get oil splatters, engine failures with smoke, etc. All of the various systems wear and failures can be monitored via the tablet accessible inside the cockpit, and fixed once you're on the ground. So-far, I've only replaced spark plugs (when I haven't used the spark plug cleaner enough), and continue to watch as I approach the halfway point for the first 25-hr inspection.

The tablet is also where you are able to turn the battery off when you're on the ground, since there was no ability to do so from the cockpit (a task performed by the ground crew). There is a switch with mechanical linkage to the battery along the right-hand side of the cockpit that the pilot can use to turn the battery on, but once the battery is turned on, the same switch can't be used to turn the battery off. Through the tablet, you can also customize all sorts of features.

BTW, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, load some fuel in the center drop tank and watch the cool animation of the flowing fuel through the drop tank's fuel line (glass section) along the right-hand side of the cockpit. Once the center-line drop tank fuel contents just about reach zero, or you release the drop tank, the flowing-fuel animation disappears.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; June 21st, 2023 at 08:18.

Also, be sure to read the friendly manual. Lots of good info in there, and it covers the oil-on-windshield scenario.

I have noticed a couple of other fun animations that are especially evident in VR. If you leave the canopy open after starting up, that thing shakes and shudders which is a good reminder to close it. When you switch the magnetos off and on, the central part of the instrument panel bounces a little, as if it is spring loaded and the force of operating the mag switches pushes it slightly out of position. Cool stuff.

August

The guys involved with this production certainly are perfectionists, with a keen eye for detail. There are a couple specific levers in the cockpit that bounce around a little too, only once the engine is running, which is spot-on to how they react to the airframe vibrations in the real aircraft. I never got all the way to the bottom of the user manual until just the other day, and I noticed that it has a bunch of good names credited to who they used as technical advisers.

It's rather hard to believe, but one of the beta testers on the FlyingIron Discord claims that their up-coming Fw 190 is even more impressive than the Bf 109 (though maybe he just favors the '190 more). I am curious who they might have for the technical advisers/sources for that one. There are only two active pilots today who have flown an authentic/actual Fw 190 (the FHCAM example), those being Steve Hinton and Kevin Eldridge. According to Hinton, it handles and performs quite differently than the full-scale replica FlugWerk examples.

With how superb the modeling is of the Bf 109, I sort of wish they could go back and refine some of the modeling of their earlier products, such as the wing trailing edges of their Hellcat and Spitfire, and the rather clunky-looking landing gear on their P-38.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    The guys involved with this production certainly are perfectionists, with a keen eye for detail. There are a couple specific levers in the cockpit that bounce around a little too, only once the engine is running, which is spot-on to how they react to the airframe vibrations in the real aircraft. I never got all the way to the bottom of the user manual until just the other day, and I noticed that it has a bunch of good names credited to who they used as technical advisers.

It's rather hard to believe, but one of the beta testers on the FlyingIron Discord claims that their Fw 190 is even steps beyond what they've achieved with the Bf 109. I am curious who they might have for the technical advisers/sources for that one. There are only two active pilots today who have flown an authentic/actual Fw 190 (the FHCAM example), those being Steve Hinton and Kevin Eldridge. According to Hinton, it handles and performs quite differently than the full-scale replica FlugWerk examples.

With how superb the modeling is of the Bf 109, I sort of wish they could go back and refine some of the modeling of their earlier products, such as the wing trailing edges of their Hellcat and Spitfire, and the rather clunky-looking landing gear on their P-38.
    Obviously it's a learning proces!

Cees

Charter Member 2011
    Thank you for the helpful comments - R.T.F.M. is something I resort to only in emergency.
    This works in 99% of cases, which is a clear indicator that we are dealing with a 1% case here!
    It certainly is a beautifully executed creation.

I noticed in some videos that the stick quivers even when cold and dark, would this be a premonition thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    I noticed in some videos that the stick quivers even when cold and dark, would this be a premonition thing?
    Heh. That particular feature is incorporated in almost all of the planes in my sim, but I think it's because of dirty sensors in my joystick rather than sophisticated modeling.

August

Please some good painter would update the Italian\Regia Aeronautica version, it's just
    thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 930_rd.jpg   109max_1.jpg  

There are as many as eight DB-powered '109s in the world right now that could be considered airworthy, though a number of them haven't been active for a little while:

- Bf 109G-6 WkNr.440738 D-FMGS - owned by Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy in Germany, able to fly but has not been flown in at least a year or more.
    - Bf 109G-6 (converted Buchon) D-FMBD (ex-D-FMBB) - owned by Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy in Germany, which as of May 28th was awaiting its engine back from getting work done.
    - Bf 109G-14 (converted Buchon) D-FMGS - owned by Hangar10/Air Fighter Academy in Germany, able to fly but has not been flown in at least a year or more.
    - Bf 109E-7 WkNr.1983 D-FEML - owned by Eberhard Thiesen in Germany, restoration completed in 2017, but not yet flown (due to prolonged engine work). It was taxi-tested last year and again this spring, and was even out taxi-testing yesterday. Hopefully flying soon!
    - Bf 109E-4 WkNr.3579 G-CIPB - private European owner, chartered to Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar in the UK, it has been four or five years since it last flew. Last I heard, it is still awaiting its engine back from getting work done.
    - Bf 109E-3 WkNr.1342 N342FH - owned by Steuart Walton in the US, it has been at least since 2019 that it last flew. The FHCAM aircraft are or will be in the process of being brought back into annual/ready to fly as time progresses.
    - Bf 109G-4 (converted Buchon) N109GY - owned by Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Museum in the US, considered active.
    - Bf 109G-6 WkNr.410077 N42109 - owned by Bruce Winter in the US, the most original and accurately-restored airworthy Bf 109 since "Black 6", considered active.

The two DB-powered Bf 109s owned by the Messerschmitt Foundation, Bf 109G-4 "Red 7" (converted Buchon) D-FWME and Bf 109G-10 "Yellow 3" (converted Buchon) D-FDME, haven't flown in a number of years and remain being worked on, last I've heard. "Red 7" has been undergoing a complete ground-up rebuild with an all new fuselage since around 2017.

Furthermore, MeierMotors in Germany have been working on restoring two early-variant Bf 109Es, both to be powered with DB 601 engines. I believe there is another Bf 109 project or two in the works between Germany/Hungary at this time. Graham Peacock in the UK has three Bf 109 projects under restoration to fly, in the form of a Bf 109G-2 and two Bf 109F-4s. Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Museum, many years ago, had a Bf 109E under restoration in "Eastern Europe", but I haven't heard/seen anything about it in over a decade. Kermit Weeks has a Bf 109G-6 under restoration to fly, though I don't know if he'll ever see it to fruition/flying.

John, that is a very informative list you have made, but I do have a question. I thought the Military Aviation Museum’s Bf 109 was a rebuild based on the remains of Bf 109G-4 19257, as that is what the museum’s website says. Is it not, is it a rebuilt Buchon that just has the identity of 19257 attached to it?

Tom, the wings on it are straight from HA-1112 Buchon c/n 133. Buchon wings are unique from Bf 109G wings, as they have two main spars rather than just one, so as to support the Spanish mounting of 20 mm Hispano cannons. Outwardly, of course the only real difference is the riveting you might see, but yet they are stock Buchon examples. Interestingly, they didn't seem to use the Buchon fuselage, but they instead appeared to build a brand new fuselage, based on all of the project photos that were posted at the time. The museum has said that the fuselage of WkNr.19257 was used, but it was clear when following the project that it was all new fuselage structure/skins. Yagen is known to have acquired the parts from as many as 5 different Bf 109 wrecks, so there is a good chance that some usable original parts were incorporated in the fuselage where possible (there have never been any photos shown as to what they may have had to work with from the original Bf 109G-4 WkNr.19257). They also built-up the tail to be stock/original Bf 109, angled in the correct direction (which was opposite on the Buchon, due to having originally been re-designed and built to support a Hispano Suiza engine with prop turning opposite direction to the DB and Merline engines). The aircraft has a DB 605B installed, which was originally fitted to Bf 110 WkNr.5338, with a different prop reduction gear setup than the standard DB 605A installed in most Bf 109G production. It's also fitted with a larger oil cooler than stock, so they (MeierMotors) made a custom-designed lower cowling, which is why it doesn't have the usual/original shape/contours around the bottom of the nose/just aft of spinner.

One additional Bf 109 restoration I failed to mention in that post is that Guy Black, in the UK, is restoring Bf 109E WkNr.4309 to fly, registered as G-CDTI. His company, Retrotec, is rebuilding its DB 601 engine.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; June 22nd, 2023 at 12:22.

The guys involved with this production certainly are perfectionists, with a keen eye for detail. There are a couple specific levers in the cockpit that bounce around a little too, only once the engine is running, which is spot-on to how they react to the airframe vibrations in the real aircraft. I never got all the way to the bottom of the user manual until just the other day, and I noticed that it has a bunch of good names credited to who they used as technical advisers.It's rather hard to believe, but one of the beta testers on the FlyingIron Discord claims that their up-coming Fw 190 is even more impressive than the Bf 109 (though maybe he just favors the '190 more). I am curious who they might have for the technical advisers/sources for that one. There are only two active pilots today who have flown an authentic/actual Fw 190 (the FHCAM example), those being Steve Hinton and Kevin Eldridge. According to Hinton, it handles and performs quite differently than the full-scale replica FlugWerk examples.With how superb the modeling is of the Bf 109, I sort of wish they could go back and refine some of the modeling of their earlier products, such as the wing trailing edges of their Hellcat and Spitfire, and the rather clunky-looking landing gear on their P-38.
    Ok, Ok, you have totally sold me on this offering. I can no longer resist.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by lanf77 View Post
    Please some good painter would update the Italian\Regia Aeronautica version, it's just
    thank you
    I just uploaded new wing textures in fs.2 for the Italian paint that came with the package, on one wing the fasces were inverted.
    https://flightsim.to/file/57097/mess...-wing-textures

364 (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

364 (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I just uploaded new wing textures in fs.2 for the Italian paint that came with the package, on one wing the fasces were inverted.
    https://flightsim.to/file/57097/mess...-wing-textures

364 (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

364 (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Thank you!
    Just hoping we will have more italian RA\ANR paints in the future

I've painted my first-ever spiral spinner! No simple task with the way in which the spinner is mapped, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. This is a still very early work-in-progress on WkNr. 410077 (N42109). Today is 'mottling day', so it will soon be gaining all of the RLM 74/75 blotches on the fuselage, cowls and tail (individually matched to the real aircraft). For the paint scheme on the restoration, for which I'm aiming to match as close as possible, the restorers worked from the remains of the paint that was still on the airframe, and they also consulted with Floyd Werner, Lynn Ritger and Mark Sheppard (all foremost experts on wartime Bf 109 markings) to fill-in all of the missing areas, based on 410-series Erla-built Bf 109G-6s. Its got some unique but completely authentic details of the paint scheme, which I'll go into more detail about when the repaint is finished. At least a week or two yet before it will be done (in addition to the main paint scheme, I'm going to completely change the stenciling, as well as a few customized interior textures to match the real aircraft). When the paintkit gets released, I'll update it further.

That spinner looks awesome .
    I was trying that myself aswell but didn't succeed in it .
    I am also waiting for the paintkit.

It's been updated to v1.0.1!

Changelog 1.0.1

Flight Model
    -Retuned high-speed elevator authority to match wartime trials data -Increased animation range curve for stick, pedals and control surfaces when at high speeds -Increased control reactivity (more responsive stick, pedal and control surface movements) -A little less yaw and roll gyro stability -A little more pitch gyro stability -Slightly less aileron trim effectiveness

Sounds
    -Fixed multiplayer/Flyby volume fluctuations at low relative speeds

Cockpit
    -Fixed primer level message in the Tablet's Live Data page and the Primer Tooltip -Fixed Tablet's Live Data battery and generator volt status (now 0 when not delivering) -Fixed Tablet's Live Data page not showing current drop tank quantity -Battery now defaults to OFF when spawning on the apron (cold and dark) -Fixed generator breaker not always disconnecting the generator -Fixed an issue with the gyro heading being incorrect after a power-off slew, affecting GPS and AP -Increased pitch gyro stability -Canopy can be jettisoned on the ground when it's opened -Fixed default Pitot (now OFF when spawning on the apron) -Pitot blinker now shows OFF when the breaker is on but the battery is off -Fixed canopy handle state upon Apron spawn -The Beacon Light keybind can now be used to push the Inertia Starter button -Improved manual propeller control response when inc/dec buttons are used (not recommended) instead of the propeller axis (recommended)

Checklists
    -Updated checklists for Run-up check, now says Prop Pitch Manual at 12:00 -Updated checklists to reflect -1 degrees (nose-up) trim for take-off

Miscelaneous
    -Slat open/close minimum interval increased from 0.5 to 0.8 seconds -Fixed loading tip typo

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Attention to detail. Professional. Will wait for a proper pilot...

She flies much better post update. Very impressed by this model.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Spook48 View Post
    That spinner looks awesome .
    I was trying that myself aswell but didn't succeed in it.
    I am also waiting for the paintkit.
    Looks great indeed!
    And I'm waiting too...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Thank you, Jankees and Spook. Here's a small update on WkNr.410077 (N42109), showing the port-side mottling added, each blotch matching the real aircraft. Tomorrow I'll start on the other side. I modified the tone of the RLM 75 grey-violet for better accuracy since the previous screenshots I showed. It's always a matter of trial and error to get any colors to show up just right in the sim, as under the sim's lighting they will always appear different than they do when making the textures (they tend to always end up needing to be darker and more saturated than I start with).

Looks impressive, John! Looking forward to this one.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

The TERRIFIC John Terrel has done it again!!!
    What a livery...
    I am blown away by the spinner...
    Just one remark if I may (I know it's still a work in progress...):
    The yellow triangle behind the cockpit appears to be too small when compared to the real aircraft.
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Request on a repaint, Hans Joachim Marseille Yellow #14. I know he flew his final missions in a G-2 Trop and the G6 has bulges and other differences but this is about as close as we'll get.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you, Mr. Mugel and Stéph.

Stéph, well spotted with the stencils. Yeah, all of the stencils will be completely redone, I just haven't gotten there yet, and they will all be redone to match the real aircraft, nose to tail, wingtip to wingtip (note, the red triangle stencil near the oil filler panel will also have to be positioned differently). The way the stencils are applied on the FlyingIron model is via the decal method, so there is no way of moving the existing stencils or changing their size by much, so I'll just be erasing those completely and adding all new stencils in the textures. The real aircraft, having the full compliment of original accurate wartime stencils, has quite a few that are of different design and placement than the FlyingIron model/liveries, as well as quite a lot more stencils than what are present on the FlyingIron model/liveries, which I'll be adding.

Members who have read this thread: 3