FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109G-6 Released 6/14
Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109G-6 Released 6/14

Last edited by Tom Clayton; June 14th, 2023 at 12:33.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Great news, though if the landing characteristics are realistic I can just see the reams of forum entries now from frustrated buyers. Probably me included. Get them up on one leg and they were like a unicycle. Can't wait.

I've been highly anticipating this release, and it's great to see that it is scheduled for next Wednesday. The visuals look absolutely stunning, inside and out. I'm really hoping for a solid soundset (in my opinion, one of the best sounding warbirds, inside and out, and very distinct from other V-12s, both inside and out), as well as hoping for good flight dynamics (accurate, not overly/inaccurately-challenging).

The only gripe I have with the preview screenshots is the pilot wearing a modern "bone dome" helmet. Even today you'll not see any pilot wearing one when flying a Bf 109 or Buchon - every modern pilot report I've read (several), the pilots always state that you can't wear one when flying the Bf 109, as you'll constantly be hitting the top of your head on the canopy.

I do not understand why there is no usable WWII pilot
    Spitfire WWII pilot is stiff, no head movement
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Honestly, you're supposed to fly the thing, not drool over the pilot.

Moreover, with that tiny, cramped cockpit, who cares, you can barely see the pilot figure.

And finally, let's wait for the final release, shall we? The spit has a historical pilot figure, no reason to think the Bf won't have one.

Just my two €cents worth.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Blog Entries

Moreover, with that tiny, cramped cockpit, who cares, you can barely see the pilot figure.

And finally, let's wait for the final release, shall we? The spit has a historical pilot figure, no reason to think the Bf won't have one.

Just my two €cents worth.

Priller

Now, do you want to tell us how you really feel, Priller. For me, I don't have any opinion. I just buy these WWII planes. I never fly them.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I just buy these WWII planes. I never fly them.
    Statement of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by ZsoltB View Post
    I do not understand why there is no usable WWII pilot
    Certainly agreed !

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Who told you that ??...

"Honestly, you're supposed to fly the thing, not drool over the pilot.

Just my two €cents worth."

Yes, you rushed this post

I fly in VR 99.9% and generally wish the pilot were headless (as in the Condor gliding sim) if not invisible
    And knee-less if you want to see all the instruments...

I've got their excellent Spitfire, Lightning and Hellcat. The 109 has never interested me much, but I love Flying Iron's ethos and commitment so I'll probably get it just to support them. Their forthcoming FW-190 is a certainty, of course. Still awaiting news of the 4-engined 'heavy'. What a time to be a flight simmer!

I'm definitely getting the 109!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by ZsoltB View Post
    Yes, you rushed this post
    No I didn't. I reacted to other people's posts...

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Others?
    You were responding to my post

Just an FYI, the pilot's head of the FlyingIron WWII pilot does turn. The animation is linked to the turn/bank indicator code, so the pilot's head will turn in the direction that the aircraft is banking.

I'm sure there will be a WWII pilot figure in the FI Bf 109. The only reason I bring up the modern helmet, is because I've noticed real world pilots feel it important enough to mention that you can't comfortably wear one in the '109 (the MSFS pilot model appears slightly under-scaled in those preview screenshots). If using one of the MSFS pilots, it would actually be more accurate to use one of those wearing a baseball hat and headset, as that is how the pilot that flies the Erickson Aircraft Collection's Bf 109G, Doug Griffin, is normally attired when flying that '109. Every other one of the roughly a dozen pilots that fly Bf 109s and Buchons today wear leather helmets, or a leather helmet with a kevlar shell.

Here are some of my favorite DB 605/Bf 109G related videos off of Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHnqGZ9TiU (Bruce Winter's Bf 109G-6, rebuilt original, the most accurate and authentic example of the '109 flying in the world)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBCiMmyuR4s (very in-depth walk around and discussion with Mike Vadeboncoeur about the restoration and operation of Bruce Winter's incredible Bf 109G-6)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcc-Lf_imco (just great sounds, Bruce Winter's Bf 109G-6 taxiing around, run-up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu3XHZCUd1k (Hangar10's Bf 109G-6, new-build with original ID)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A0AlepZY7c (Hangar10's Bf 109G-14, converted from a Buchon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P1DaPWepYo (Military Aviation Museum's Bf 109G-4, converted from a Buchon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhMGQst4lo (cockpit-view, Messerschmitt Foundation's Bf 109G-4, converted from a Buchon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jenWQy4Zm-w (cockpit-view, same aircraft as previous video)

I aslo of course have a treasured copy of "One Summer, Two Messerschmitts" as well, filmed in the 90s, which can be watched on WingsTV.co.uk

This is John Romain displaying Ed Russell's Bf-109E-4 at the Thunder over Michigan show in 2006.

He was wearing the soft cloth helmet very similar to what would have been worn in WW2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PH6M1261.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	91080

Thank you, Zsolt, for the video link! It is clearly evident in that video that this is the best product that FlyingIron has done to-date. It not only looks absolutely incredible (every inch of the modeling and textures), but it sounds incredible too (perfectly matching the real aircraft), and it appears to fly and function as I know the Bf 109G to be in reality as well. This is bound to quickly take the top position of my favorite warbird in MSFS - now, tomorrow can't come fast enough!

Originally, these of course had to be hand-crank started, as there was no electric starter installed. There is a cog on the starboard side of the engine where a hand crank goes, which was used to spin up the inertia flywheel and once that reached maximum RPM the pilot would pull the t-handle control on the left-side of the instrument panel which would engage the flywheel and the engine fires off. The Bf 109G-2 "Black 6", which was restored in the UK in the 1980s and flew for several years in the 90s, was fully stock in this manner, with each start requiring two guys outside the aircraft on the wing to get the inertia starter cranked up. So often too it would take more than one attempt to get it started, and they would be forced to have to re-crank it all over again. Every other DB-powered Bf 109 that has been restored to fly has had an electric starter installed in order to spin up the inertia flywheel. The sound is close to the same, you just don't get to see a couple guys toiling over hand-cranking the starter. I noticed in the preview video posted above that FlyingIron has tied the inertia starter function to the red master switch, and then you pull the t-handle (as per original) to engage the starter/fire off the engine. In reality, the way they have this setup in the DB605-powered Bf 109s flying today is that you pull the t-handle out, which starts the electric motor spinning up the inertia flywheel, you wait until it is fully spun up, and then you push the t-handle back in which engages the starter and it fires off.

It will be nice to see what the full compliment of paint schemes will be (I've got a few I will like to try my hand at doing repaints of, if not included). The screenshot of the model at the top of this thread shows the old paint scheme that the Messerschmitt Foundation Bf 109G-6 (converted Buchon) sported back in the 1990s and early 2000s, back when it was still registered in Germany as D-FMBB. About 15 years ago they stopped flying it and had it fully overhauled/rebuilt, and it was finally completed/flown again just a couple years ago. It now flies registered as D-FMBD (since the reg -FMBB ended up going to use on another aircraft), though it otherwise was repainted to closely match the same paint scheme it had prior to rebuild.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; June 13th, 2023 at 09:36.

I suppose this will be an immediate get for me, and i will be interested in how FI interprets the flight model. Devs of 109Gs all seem to think they have to make it extra challenging to conform to pilots' reports. My favorite existing one, the Flight Replicas G-6 for P3D, is demanding but basically honest. The one in IL2: Great Battles is a bit easier but still quirky. I don't have a lot of time in the DCS one, I only flew it on a trial basis; like most DCS aircraft it struck me as okay, a bit sterile. I hope this one, like the FR, will give me that feeling that anyone must have when flying something like Winters' 109, which is the adrenaline rush of, "I know this thing I'm about to strap on will try to kill me and wipe out millions of dollars of investment, but it's worth it."

August

I feel exactly the same, August. I don't want it less challenging than the real thing, but I definitely don't want it to be more challenging than the real thing.

I've enjoyed listening to Bruce Winter's thoughts on flying his original Bf 109G-6. When it came to approaching flying it, his thought was, you're not going to build 33,000 of them, over a span of ten years, if they were the absolute animal to operate that some have chosen to describe them as being. Contrary to that, he has found the '109 to be enjoyable. Granted, a high percentage of them did crash from takeoff and landing accidents during the war, but what often doesn't enter the conversation is the level of pilot training in the later years of the war. Mike Vadeboncouer, in his research, mentions that early in the war pilots had something like at least 400 hrs of flight time before they ever reached the Bf 109, but by late in the war they were lucky to have a small fraction of that, and jumping straight from something like a Bucker biplane right into the '109. Flying it in nothing but good weather, and by the numbers, Bruce Winter has commented that the Bf 109G tracks well on takeoff (considered the most dangerous part in flying one), has an incredible feel, level of performance and quick control responses in the air, flies around the pattern as if it lives there, and sets down into a three-point landing just beautifully. Of course, choosing to fly only when the weather suits it is important. Because the aircraft is susceptible to crosswinds, there is a requirement by the CAA in the UK that all Buchons/'109s are placarded in the cockpit to not be flown in crosswinds greater than 10 kts.

One of the other things too that I had never considered, that Bruce Winter brought up last year at Oshkosh, is about the significantly greater size/displacement of the DB 605 compared to the Merlin and Allison, and that it compares more closely to that of the Griffon engine.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; June 13th, 2023 at 13:56.

I hope someone does some nice repaints of captured Bf-109Gs. I'd be interested in trying the hardware, but no desire to fly around in period Luftwaffe colors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I feel exactly the same, August. I don't want it less challenging than the real thing, but I definitely don't want it to be more challenging than the real thing.

I've enjoyed listening to Bruce Winter's thoughts on flying his original Bf 109G-6. When it came to approaching flying it, his thought was, you're not going to build 33,000 of them, over a span of ten years, if they were the absolute animal to operate that some have chosen to describe them as being. Contrary to that, he has found the '109 to be enjoyable. Granted, a high percentage of them did crash from takeoff and landing accidents during the war, but what often doesn't enter the conversation is the level of pilot training in the later years of the war. Mike Vadeboncouer, in his research, mentions that early in the war pilots had something like at least 400 hrs of flight time before they ever reached the Bf 109, but by late in the war they were lucky to have a small fraction of that, and jumping straight from something like a Bucker biplane right into the '109. Flying it in nothing but good weather, and by the numbers, Bruce Winter has commented that the Bf 109G tracks well on takeoff (considered the most dangerous part in flying one), has an incredible feel, level of performance and quick control responses in the air, flies around the pattern as if it lives there, and sets down into a three-point landing just beautifully. Of course, choosing to fly only when the weather suits it is important. Because the aircraft is susceptible to crosswinds, there is a requirement by the CAA in the UK that all Buchons/'109s are placarded in the cockpit to not be flown in crosswinds greater than 10 kts.

One of the other things too that I had never considered, that Bruce Winter brought up last year at Oshkosh, is about the significantly greater size/displacement of the DB 605 compared to the Merlin and Allison, and that it compares more closely to that of the Griffon engine.
    You never cease to impress me with your aviation knowledge. And, you are still a kid.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

This same group is working on the A-7E for DCS. The company is comprised of two brothers who live in Australia. I've been making trips to the Naval Aviation Museum Library, gathering info for them. NC

Members who have read this thread: 3