Looking for small business jet recommendations

Thread: Looking for small business jet recommendations

Blog Entries

Looking for small business jet recommendations

I know this tends to be a military aircraft forum. Still, I see a lot of threads on civilian aircraft. I rarely fly military jets in MSFS. For that there is DCS. I mostly fly GA aircraft in MSFS.

I tend to limit the number of aircraft I fly. This is because I have trouble remembering all the systems and flight characteristics of each airplane. So, I will fly one or two for each category. For instance, for just punching holds in clouds I fly Dean's PT-17 Stearman. I like it. It is easy to fly and simple.

For a little faster airspeed and simple acro there is SWS's RV-10. If I want to do some short X-Country flying, I will jump into the Moody Bravo. It too, is easy to fly and rather, IMO, high fidelity in its flight characteristics.

My favorite GA aircraft is the Pilatus PC-12. I got two right seat rides in one while in Alaska and loved it. Currently flying the Carenado’s version, but soon I hope to upgrade to the SWS’ version. If you noticed, I keep going faster with each aircraft. So on to jets.

I do not fly airliners or very complex jets. I would like to find a good business jet for longer x-country flights. I used to fly the Flysimware’s Lear 35, but it is not available in MSFS. So, any opinions on which one (is) is (are) realistic? I am willing to learn a new aircraft if it seems realistic and has a good FM.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on accuracy, but I enjoy the HondaJet.

August

Hi,

HondaJet is my choice to fly a jet at the moment:
    https://www.flightfx.io/portfolio/hjet

- Very nicely model
    - Flight-dynamics feel real and smooth
    - Very automated like the real one (this can be a dis advance if you do not like that)
    - For a small bizzjet it has a high cruisespeed and cruisealt
    - Still active being updated (update in the works, to get the Navigraph charts activate again).

Marcel

I have both the Honda Jet and Vision, both are very nice. I hope we see more Bizjets soon. I miss flying the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25 and a few others. Hope they get rebuilt for this sim.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really love the Cirrus Vision Jet. Fun to fly, can land on reasonably short fields, really wonderful flight modeling and visuals.

I understand the HondaJet is similar quality, and I’ll likely pick that up if it ever goes on discount.

I've flown the latest updated Vision Jet once, but I had severe issues with Otto. Using FLC mode to climb to a commanded 15,000', climb rate was all over the place from 500 to 1600+, and then it kept climbing past 16,000'. I just ended the flight at the point. I may try again this weekend.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The stock Citation CJ4 with the Working Title mods isn't bad for that GA jet feel. The Proline 21 FMS can be quickly programmed without getting into all the pages.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    The stock Citation CJ4 with the Working Title mods isn't bad for that GA jet feel. The Proline 21 FMS can be quickly programmed without getting into all the pages.
    I agree 100% This is probably the best recommendation because it's free and can be as simple or powerful as one likes. Also the cold and dark startup is super simple - it's like 3 or button presses hehe.

I also recommend the Vision Jet - they are working on a AAU2 patch for their release that just came out - most of the AP issues I think, stem from the fact that it uses Longitude settings. I believe this is known and the devs will address it.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    ...Vision Jet - they are working on a AAU2 patch for their release that just came out - most of the AP issues I think, stem from the fact that it uses Longitude settings. I believe this is known and the devs will address it.
    That's good to hear. As it is now, the AP is just about unusable.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Even though I recommended the Honda above, I'd have to agree that the stock CJ4 also is a good choice. Now that the Working Title mod is integrated with the base sim, it's a lot better than originally, and if you get the free PMS GNS750, you can pop that up for nav and flight planning and not mess with the FMS.

August

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Even though I recommended the Honda above, I'd have to agree that the stock CJ4 also is a good choice. Now that the Working Title mod is integrated with the base sim, it's a lot better than originally, and if you get the free PMS GNS750, you can pop that up for nav and flight planning and not mess with the FMS.

August
    Thank you everyone for the ideas. I played around with the CJ4 and liked it. The only issue I had was I found it hard to read the PFD, MFD, and especially the FMS with my HP G2 VR headset. I had to lean in to see what I the icon meant. I will read the manual and watch vidios this weekend.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Thank you everyone for the ideas. I played around with the CJ4 and liked it. The only issue I had was I found it hard to read the PFD, MFD, and especially the FMS with my HP G2 VR headset. I had to lean in to see what I the icon meant. I will read the manual and watch vidios this weekend.
    I also have a G2 and have the same issue. I even bump the headset on my yoke now and then as I lean in to get closer to the panel. It helps to map a button to cycle through the various panel cameras rather than try to peer at them from the normal pilot view.

August

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I also have the same issue. The font is pretty realistic but it can be a little tough to see even in 2D. I frequently use the zoom in key in VR to look at the screens.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Don't you guys fly 2D anymore at all ??....

I LOVE my G2 as well, naturally, but after the dust of being completely focused on VR has settled down now i have put it in the right pespective that works for me. As soon as i have too much trouble reading the gauges and instruments of a certain aircraft, no matter how gorgeous the VR cockpit may look, i'll fly it only in 2D from then on and have absolutely no problem with it.

I have learned to see VR in MSFS as a delicious speciality like a dame blance or crepe suzette or even a Belgian bonbon. You'd be crazy to enjoy a dame blance or crepe suzette every day, right ? If cooked well a normal, healthy dish can almost be as good and you don't get fat.

On top of that VR will stay like the super dream come true flightsimming experience, which it actually is of course. That way you don't get used to it which will mean the death of 2D that we simply cannot afford just yet.

My advice, fly more 2D for the sake of your eyes and fly VR just as a delicious dish on the side at special occasions. Determine which couple of aircraft you have the least problem with reading your instruments and use only those to fly in VR.

( that's all until the graphic quality of VR will have matched or even superseded that of 2D, eventually..)

Works for me !

Blog Entries
    I also have a G2 and have the same issue. I even bump the headset on my yoke now and then as I lean in to get closer to the panel. It helps to map a button to cycle through the various panel cameras rather than try to peer at them from the normal pilot view.

August
    I tried setting up cameras using the Control Options panel and they won't work in either VR or 2D. I used the forward and backwards buttons and a height switch I have programmed to move closer. I mainly need it for that postage stamp sized FMC. Once the flight plan is programmed, I don't touch it again, so it is good.

I did one short flight of 165 miles, and it seemed nice.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Don't you guys fly 2D anymore at all ??....

I LOVE my G2 as well, naturally, but after the dust of being completely focused on VR has settled down now i have put it in the right pespective that works for me. As soon as i have too much trouble reading the gauges and instruments of a certain aircraft, no matter how gorgeous the VR cockpit may look, i'll fly it only in 2D from then on and have absolutely no problem with it.

I have learned to see VR in MSFS as a delicious speciality like a dame blance or crepe suzette or even a Belgian bonbon. You'd be crazy to enjoy a dame blance or crepe suzette every day, right ? If cooked well a normal, healthy dish can almost be as good and you don't get fat.

On top of that VR will stay like the super dream come true flightsimming experience, which it actually is of course. That way you don't get used to it which will mean the death of 2D that we simply cannot afford just yet.

My advice, fly more 2D for the sake of your eyes and fly VR just as a delicious dish on the side at special occasions. Determine which couple of aircraft you have the least problem with reading your instruments and use only those to fly in VR.

( that's all until the graphic quality of VR will have matched or even superseded that of 2D, eventually..)

Works for me !
    I have to disagree with you on the VR vs. 2D. I always fly VR, unless I am setting up controls or testing something.

But then, I am a guy who would eat a dame blance or crepe suzette or even a Belgian bonbon every day. I have to keep Blue Bell ice cream out of the house or I will go through the half-gallon in a day or two.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Ha, Javis! I would say I hate to say I told you so, but actually I LOVE to say I told you so! It seemed like you were lost to the 2D world when you discovered VR a few months ago.

But I'm totally on the same page, as you know. VR is still very cool. But when I want to do any serious navigation, communicate on Vatsim, or just drink in the detail of the aircraft and scenery at full resolution and contrast and ultra settings, it's 2D all the way.

I tried doing a Vatsim IFR flight on VR, juggling all the navaids, charts, radios, ATC instructions, etc., without reference to my other monitor or paper on my desk, and it was a disaster. Props to anyone who can manage it, but it isn't fun for me. Bizjets aren't exactly my "experience the joy of flying" kind of plane, so when I fly one, it's going to be in that kind of context, most likely, which means it'll be 2D.

August

Blog Entries
    I am starting to like the CJ4. I have worked around the tiny font issues, for the most part. I like the rather simplicity of the CJ4 vs. the Longitude. I am considering buying the Honda jet, even though I think the engine mounts are weird and take away from the aesthetics of the design.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

The HA420's inverted sing pylons are for passenger comfort. Wing mounted engines mean much less engine noise in the cabin, but the plane is too small for standard hanging pylons. It also eliminates the structure and systems between the engines within the fuselage rear section, allowing more room for passengers and cargo.

Honda also claims that the engines are the quietest in their class, which I can attest to, having seen close to a hundred approaches and departures. I live right under the approach to KGSO 23L and I work practically next door to the airport, so I see at least a couple every week flying over.

I had been putting off getting this one for a while, but this discussion has me interested again. I think I'll pull the trigger tomorrow when I fire the sim back up. I also have my eye on a couple of Orbx products. Good thing I got paid yesterday...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Ha, Javis! I would say I hate to say I told you so, but actually I LOVE to say I told you so!
    You certainly did ! And i couldn't argue about that, could i !

It seemed like you were lost to the 2D world when you discovered VR a few months ago.
    And boy oh boy what a month THAT was ! Apart from my first experience with flightsimulator ( Sublogic/Bruce Artwick FSII on commodore 64) putting on that VR helmet was THE most exciting experience i ever had with FS. I say again WOW!!

But I'm totally on the same page, as you know. VR is still very cool. But when I want to do any serious navigation, communicate on Vatsim, or just drink in the detail of the aircraft and scenery at full resolution and contrast and ultra settings, it's 2D all the way.
    Certainly with you there, Captain. Particularly now that i finally try to fit in with the big boys. You know Boeings and Buses (actually the A310 only, can't get used to that awful clean side sticked insurance agent office of all others). Taxiing a 747 or triple 7 around a big super detailed airport in bad weather in VR is totally awesome, can do that for an hour or two easily. Even more amazing now i have FS Traffic installed. Flying them in VR is impossible, at least for me, no fun at all.I already have a problem reading the gauges with the DC-3. In VR i'll happily stick to my beloved Tiggie, Kaydet and other biplanes, small GA and the odd prop- or jetfighter of course. No annoyances, mostly everything's clear and readable, just fantastic VR fun ! ( i did say WOW!! already, didn't i ! )

Thanks again and again for showing me the way to this amazing journey, August !

( sorry for getting off course from your topic a little bit, John, hope i'm excused. I DID try to give you a good tip, didn't i... And airliners are pretty much business too, aren't they, the're not exactly small though.. ;-)

cheers,
    jan

I have been playing with the CJ4 today, though, and am having one problem. The fuel is only drawing from the left tank. I can't find a fuel tank selector. Eventually I get a warning about the imbalance. I turn on fuel transfer, but its rate is too slow to keep up with the fuel consumption. So I have to keep bringing up the w&b screen and evening up the tanks. Anyone else seen this?

August

I pulled that trigger on the FFX "HJet" (I guess they never could get an actual license deal with Honda), and I'm pretty happy with it. I did a flight from Rotterdam to London City and she performed nicely. In fact, I had to watch my speed - she over-speeds rather easily. I need to see if I can figure out the autothrottle. Beyond that, she's quite nice. The only real disappointment is that as sophisticated as the instrumentation is, I can't find an OBS function.

Edit: Found the OBS.
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; June 11th, 2023 at 12:49.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 1