Glass problem...

Thread: Glass problem...

Glass problem...

Hi guys, Brian Gladden was kind enough to upload his FSX model conversion of the B-26K in another thread. But, this is how the glass shows up on my end. I've replaced the glass texture with ones I know works, but no change. I'm guessing it's a material problem? Anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks, Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2023-6-4_13-21-27-595.jpg  
    Greenhouse357

Bob, can you refer me to the thread with the link to Brian's FSX conversion? I'd like to try it myself and also see if I get the same cockpit glass anomaly as you are seeing.

Hi TARPSBird, it's in the "Isn't this beautiful" thread at the bottom of page three. I should have mentioned it's only the exterior glass, interior is fine.
    Greenhouse357

I did the FSX conversion with Brian Gladden's files and I have the same mirrored canopy glass that you have. I'm in the middle of downloading the FSX-native A-26 (not A-26K) from SOH and I will check the canopy glass textures in that plane. They may work with the Counter Invader.

I did the FSX conversion with Brian Gladden's files and I have the same mirrored canopy glass that you have. I'm in the middle of downloading DaveQ's FSX-native A-26 (not A-26K) from SOH and I will check the canopy glass texture(s) in that plane. They may work with the Counter Invader.

Edit: No luck with the glass textures. Hopefully somebody else will post with a fix.

Is this a case where, during conversion, the glass material has been given a reflective property vs an opaque property?

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Is this a case where, during conversion, the glass material has been given a reflective property vs an opaque property?
    Frank, that seems to be the problem. All glass areas are reflective like mirror sunglasses. See Greenhouse357's pic on his first post above. I got the same thing when I did the Brian Gladden conversion. Messing around with the glass textures in DXTBmp didn't do anything... Didn't make the glass transparent or less reflective.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I think the material editor in ModelCoverterX wil do the trick. I'll take a look.

Cees
    I used the material editor in MCX twice when I converted Paul Clawson's TBD-1 Devastator to FSX. I don't know enough about it to adjust for reflectivity, opaqueness, or transparency. Has to be something with the "glass" files that came with Brian Gladden's conversion d/l for the A-26K.

I was about to do that when I realized I don't know what version was converted. So I deleted the post.

Cees

SOH-CM-2023
    Sorry, Haven't been on for a few days.

Looks fine on my rig but here is a model that has the same textures and reflection settings that Milton used on his Ventura's so if those work, this should too.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    You can't take the sky from me...

Try this
    Load the mdl for the exterior model into MCX

Open the Material Editor and find the glass texture in it, you can tick the Highlight selected box to help make sure you have the right one.
    At the top you will see a Remove button and next to that it says Add Night Texture, that's a drop down menu so change it so it reads Set Default Transparent and then click the Apply button.
    Close the Material Editor.

Now export the model as an FSX MDL object and see if that fixed it.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    Try this
    Load the mdl for the exterior model into MCX

Open the Material Editor and find the glass texture in it, you can tick the Highlight selected box to help make sure you have the right one.
    At the top you will see a Remove button and next to that it says Add Night Texture, that's a drop down menu so change it so it reads Set Default Transparent and then click the Apply button.
    Close the Material Editor.

Now export the model as an FSX MDL object and see if that fixed it.

The glass was originally exported as a transparent material. This just might be a difference between how FSX and P3d V3 render it. I'm running P3d V3. The new model I just uploaded has the exact same properties as Milton's FSX Ventura's glass including the same texture which was included in my conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Sorry, Haven't been on for a few days.

Looks fine on my rig but here is a model that has the same textures and reflection settings that Milton used on his Ventura's so if those work, this should too.
    Brian, the updated .mdl file corrected the canopy glass but the pilot and co-pilot are now solid black, no textures except for chute harness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crew..jpg  

Thanks guys. I'll see what it looks like on my end. Takes about 20 mins. for my FSX to load up.
    It looks good in my preview window anyway. I'll try it in the sim in a little while and report back. Thank you Brian and TARPSBird for trying to help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fsscr000.jpg  
    Greenhouse357

SOH-CM-2023
    Here are the textures you are missing... Weird. They came with my original A-26K download,,, Thought everyone would have them
    Attached Files Attached Files

Brian, it works! In this shot, it looks like there isn't any glass but, afterwords, I replaced it with another fsx glass texture and you can see the glass and reflections. So again, thank you very much! And thanks to all the others in this thread that showed interest and tried to help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2023-6-8_19-5-3-594.jpg  
    Greenhouse357

Thanks a lot Brian, that works for me too.

Regards Paul Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Here are the textures you are missing... Weird. They came with my original A-26K download,,, Thought everyone would have them
    Brian, thanks for the pilot textures. The are now fully clothed and the glass is OK. I probably used different files to get the A-26K into FS2004 and then into FSX. I used the original SOH A-26 package, Bomber_12th's Counter Invader and your FSX conversion file that Greenhouse 357 posted further up on this thread. Is your original A-26K download available here at SOH or elsewhere?

Members who have read this thread: 0