for those who have re-installed FSX with the 'Steam' Edition

Thread: for those who have re-installed FSX with the 'Steam' Edition

for those who have re-installed FSX with the 'Steam' Edition

I have been running FSX for years. I recently purchased a new computer, and I would like to start over with a fresh FSX install. So far, I am unable to re-install the application using my original DVDs. I have no experience with the 'Steam Edition' and am considering using that (understanding that it means purchasing the software again) and am wondering:

1) Do I get to decide where on my machine the software is installed?
    2) Will I be able to add back all of the add-ons that I have accumulated over the years?
    3) Will I need to be online in order to run the Steam Edition?

Are there other considerations to take into account?

Thanks for any and all guidance,

Sam

(1) Yes, you can choose where you want to put the Steam Library folder. I believe the default location normally ends up as: "(Your Main Drive)\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX" but you can select a different location.

(2) I've done two reinstalls of FSX-SE and have had no problems reinstalling any add-ons. If you have the original downloads and any required product keys you should be good to go. Reinstalling stuff is the biggest pain in the whole process.

(3) Steam has an offline mode that allows you to run FSX-SE without an internet connection. You have to first be online with Steam to select the offline option, after that you're good.

Questions 1 and 3 are covered in more detail on the Steam website, and if you search with the questions you'll see some how-to info.

What's giving you problems with the original FSX DVD installation?

TARPSBird: Thanks for your clear answers. I agree the idea of re-installation seems daunting. On the plus side of things, a fresh start might be a good way to clean house and focus on putting back in the content that I really want.

gecko65: My FSX installation is years old at this point; MANY addons (aircraft, terrain mesh, scenery, etc.) have gone in and out over time, and at this point I think my installation is rather bloated. What is pushing me over the edge is the fact that earlier today I lost ALL sound (only in FSX) and have so far been unable to resolve the issue. You can see more here:

sound(s) suddenly gone from FSX (sim-outhouse.com)

Hi-Ho,

Sam

I suspected your sound problem may be the motivation for your moving to FSX Steam. See my latest post in your other thread.
    You may get more suggestions on your sound issue later today (Monday). Hope you get it resolved without having to dump your current install.

Members who have read this thread: 1