Little Nellie

Thread: Little Nellie

Little Nellie

MSFS just got a Little Nellie courtesy of DaveWG.

Is there one for FSX?
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pips View Post
    MSFS just got a Little Nellie courtesy of DaveWG.
    Is there one for FSX?
    Welllll, Kinda! There is an FS9 model done 11 years ago that by todays standards is very rudimentary. It might be a good starting point for someone who was ambitious and wanted to update that model (not start from scratch). There is no VC section in the panel config but there is a VC (of sorts, no gauges just artwork). Updating the textures would go a long way to making it a much better model as a lot of the framework and engine parts are using one single swatch.

The only credit I notice was to John Hauck for making it FSX compatible. There was no readme and no mention of who the original model was made by. You can find it here
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I believe that the model was originally created by the same DaveWG for FS2002 a little matter of 21 years ago . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    I believe that the model was originally created by the same DaveWG for FS2002 a little matter of 21 years ago . . .

Interesting! Whoever resurrected this left that little tid bit out as there was no readme or past info contained in the download, just the model. Maybe I'll contact Dave and see if he's considering an update of any kind or if he's on board with someone fiddling with this model.

Current System Specs:

Updating the textures where possible and redid the VC panel with better artwork. The real problem is in the flight dynamics. I read that it was originally patterned after the Cub so you can imagine it isn't exactly spot on, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nellie-2023-jun-1-002.jpg   Nellie-2023-jun-1-001.jpg  

Current System Specs:

That's cool Falcon!
    Dave does mention in the MSFS thread that the flight model was based on the Piper Cub. If there are no auto gyro's available in FSX, would a modified helicoptor flight model by any more accurate than the Cub?

ASWWIAH Member

Fwiw

Dave did issue an update for the FDE, but again for FS2002 - gyroupdt.zip at flightsim.com.

There is also an aircraft.cfg update from Kevin Bryan to fix a problem with a collapsing nose wheel in FS2002 - gyroair2.zip at flightsim.com.

Or you could try an FDE for FS2004 from another autogyro - I would suggest one from Golden Hawaii by Bill Lyons - cc8ghf.zip at flightsim.com.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    Dave did issue an update for the FDE, but again for FS2002 - gyroupdt.zip at flightsim.com.
    There is also an aircraft.cfg update from Kevin Bryan to fix a problem with a collapsing nose wheel in FS2002 - gyroair2.zip at flightsim.com.
    Or you could try an FDE for FS2004 from another autogyro - I would suggest one from Golden Hawaii by Bill Lyons - cc8ghf.zip at flightsim.com.
    HTH

Good info, for a 2002 model, she's getting better and better. I took the Kevin Bryan update and the sounds from the Bill Lyons Kellet. Now if I could just get rid of the pilot in the VC and only have him visible in the exterior this would be awesome. Having great fun with "Little Nellie".

Current System Specs:

Anyone wanting to update this old model is more than welcome. I did start doing a rebuild for P3d with Tacpak (i.e. fully armed), but it only got partially done before I moved over to MSFS and finished it off there. I'll have root around in my archives and see if I can find anything that was FSX or P3d ready.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I've been tinkering with the civilian version since it has fewer parts. I figure I can always put the old mdl back in if I mess it up too bad, lol

I have succeeded in making a separate "interior" mdl file and removing the pilot, however the prop and rotor animations were affected so I need to see how to correct that. Otherwise the normal animations (wheels, control stick and throttle) continue to work as they should so I am making progress, however I'm doing all this on the fly without any real knowledge of how to correctly do the conversion so things could go south at any moment.

Current System Specs:

Good luck Ed.
    I've had a look, but I'm afraid I don't have a more up to date version (apart from the MSFS one of course).

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Good luck Ed.
    I've had a look, but I'm afraid I don't have a more up to date version (apart from the MSFS one of course).
    Thanks for taking the time to check Dave. Maybe at some point I'll actually read the manual on doing conversions although the fact that I'm working from a 2002 version rather than FS9 may be somewhat of a hindrance. Remapping textures is something I'd like to do as well but I'm guessing I would have to do that in a 3D program which I have no background in. Despite my shortcomings I'm still enjoying the Little Nellie, so thanks for the model.

Current System Specs:

I have decided to attempt using Blender to resurrect this cool little autogyro. I have no idea what I'm doing but that's how I got started with Sketchup and it only took deleting the program 3 or 4 times over several years before I finally took the bull by the horns and stuck with it long enough to catch on to how simple it was. . . .

I have no reason to think this will be a snap to catch on to but I want this model to work correctly and add new animations and "stores" functions as well. Going to watch as many videos as possible as the written word is not how I learn, watching someone doing things is much more interesting and easier to catch on to various functions. . .so that's my plan.

Current System Specs:

Thanks Falcon. Will watch for updates.

ASWWIAH Member

With some excellent help over on FSDeveloper I've succeeded in doing a basic conversion to native FSX. Everything accomplished to this point has been through MCX. The true test will be going into Blender and actually reworking the model itself to add new animations, a true VC cockpit with working gauges and possibly a better pilot model. Time will tell. Anyone who would like the current model as is, I will upload it once I've done a final look-see in MCX and gotten the official ok from DaveWG.

Current System Specs:

I'll be watching.

ASWWIAH Member

Ahoy, Ed!

I realize this topic is a month old at this point, but I'm looking for some help with a related project. I am attempting to bring an old FS9 copter into working condition in FSX. Having some issues with rotor animation. In my searching I happened upon your post over at the FSDeveloper site. In MCX I also only see only a 'still' entry for the prop; no slow or blurred entries.

Are you able to share how you managed to get those associated with the model? Don't worry if it's too much of a bother; I will also seek help directly over at FSDeveloper - registered just now and waiting for my account to be activated.

Thanks in any case,

Sam

edit: I have Tom Gibson's excellent tutorial and am working through that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlSnout View Post
    Ahoy, Ed!

I realize this topic is a month old at this point, but I'm looking for some help with a related project. I am attempting to bring an old FS9 copter into working condition in FSX. Having some issues with rotor animation. In my searching I happened upon your post over at the FSDeveloper site. In MCX I also only see only a 'still' entry for the prop; no slow or blurred entries.

Are you able to share how you managed to get those associated with the model? Don't worry if it's too much of a bother; I will also seek help directly over at FSDeveloper - registered just now and waiting for my account to be activated.

Thanks in any case,

Sam

edit: I have Tom Gibson's excellent tutorial and am working through that as well.
    I've been away until awhile ago and just saw this. I would have to check but in that same thread someone also posted a link to how to fix the prop and rotor on the Nellie. It's a bit long-winded (the actual process) but I was able to successfully correct my problem.

Current System Specs:

Thanks. I saw that post; a user there ('rotorhub') indicated that they sent you a document describing the process. Once my account over there is active I will try and make contact with rotorhub and see if I can get my hands on that document. In the meantime, I have adopted the empirical approach - comparing entries in the hierarchy tree between and among models that work and don't work and trying to ascertain the differences. Probably not the most efficient system, but I'm learning a lot about MCX. Heck, before yesterday, I didn't even have the FSX SDK installed. Old dog, new tricks.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by CurlSnout View Post
    Thanks. I saw that post; a user there ('rotorhub') indicated that they sent you a document describing the process. Once my account over there is active I will try and make contact with rotorhub and see if I can get my hands on that document. In the meantime, I have adopted the empirical approach - comparing entries in the hierarchy tree between and among models that work and don't work and trying to ascertain the differences. Probably not the most efficient system, but I'm learning a lot about MCX. Heck, before yesterday, I didn't even have the FSX SDK installed. Old dog, new tricks.

Sam
    Yes, I was wrong, he actually sent me the attached PDF file. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adding propeller animation with MCX HT.pdf  

Current System Specs:

Many thanks. Having a break right now (re-framing an outside wall to accommodate a new door) but I will give it a go later this evening.

Members who have read this thread: 1