A Tribute This Weekend

Thread: A Tribute This Weekend

A Tribute This Weekend

My post for this Memorial Day is for all those "Who Gave All" so that we could enjoy the freedom we still have here in America. Thank you to each and every one...

Let us not forget the sacrifices by the few for the safety and freedoms of the many.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

……………Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0718.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	90898………
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Never forget that freedom isn't free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GettyImages-128088106-56d87c2d3df78c5ba022efb5.jpg  

In the spring of 1865 -- late May, to be precise -- the United States of America began the long process of healing the wounds of a divided nation. To this end, the many battlefields strewn all over the country, both North and South, "memorials" were created by the recently freed slaves as a way of thanking this country for the hundreds of thousands that died in what was referred to as, "a rebirth of our nation."

The act was repeated year after year, and eventually it spread across the rest of the country -- in time finally going west to areas that never saw a shot fired in anger during the great conflict.

It wasn't until the end of what was then known as, "The Great War," that a second day of "Remembrance" was officiated in the United States. As one of the victorious Allied Powers during what would become known as World War I, November 11th was commemorated as, "Armistice Day," and what was known as, "Memorial Day," was still reserved for honoring all our veterans.

It would take yet another global conflict to change our customs once again, and by the time the United Nations was fighting to liberate the Korean Peninsula, November 11th had been officially changed to honor all our Veterans, while Memorial Day (technically the last Sunday in May) was reserved for memorializing all who had fallen in defense of the nation.

Posted today in remembrance of some of my fellow "Bulldogs" from The Citadel no longer with us:

Captain Benjamin W. Sammis, Aviator, United States Marine Corps, Class of 1996 (KIA, shot down, Iraq)
    Lieutenant Peter B. Ober, Aviator, United States Navy, Class of 1996 (Killed in Flying Accident, Mediterranean Sea)
    Major Brian M. Mescall, Artillery, United States Army, Class of 1997 (KIA, IED, Afghanistan)
    Captain Daniel W. Eggers, Special Forces, United States Army, Class of 1997 (KIA, IED, Afghanistan)

(NOTE: As custom in the days when I was a cadet, "Class" has seniority over "Rank" with ranks arranged in seniority within the Class year when posting information, hence 1996 before 1997 with Major before Captain within the Class).

In the words inscribed on our campus chapel: "Remember Now Thy Creator In The Days of Thy Youth".

And at the time we were cadets on a plaque just inside our main gate, "Two roads diverged in a wood; and I, I took the one less traveled, and that made all the difference."

Jorge L. Rechani
    SGT, MI, US Army
    MOS: 98C, 97B
    Class of 1997

"The mission of every veteran who marched ahead of the current generation of Americans, is to now firmly stand behind them."
    -- Unknown, USMC

Class Of 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    In the spring of 1865 -- late May, to be precise -- the United States of America began the long process of healing the wounds of a divided nation. To this end, the many battlefields strewn all over the country, both North and South, "memorials" were created by the recently freed slaves as a way of thanking this country for the hundreds of thousands that died in what was referred to as, "a rebirth of our nation."

The act was repeated year after year, and eventually it spread across the rest of the country -- in time finally going west to areas that never saw a shot fired in anger during the great conflict.

It wasn't until the end of what was then known as, "The Great War," that a second day of "Remembrance" was officiated in the United States. As one of the victorious Allied Powers during what would become known as World War I, November 11th was commemorated as, "Armistice Day," and what was known as, "Memorial Day," was still reserved for honoring all our veterans.

It would take yet another global conflict to change our customs once again, and by the time the United Nations was fighting to liberate the Korean Peninsula, November 11th had been officially changed to honor all our Veterans, while Memorial Day (technically the last Sunday in May) was reserved for memorializing all who had fallen in defense of the nation.

Posted today in remembrance of some of my fellow "Bulldogs" from The Citadel no longer with us:

Captain Benjamin W. Sammis, Aviator, United States Marine Corps, Class of 1996 (KIA, shot down, Iraq)
    Lieutenant Peter B. Ober, Aviator, United States Navy, Class of 1996 (Killed in Flying Accident, Mediterranean Sea)
    Major Brian M. Mescall, Artillery, United States Army, Class of 1997 (KIA, IED, Afghanistan)
    Captain Daniel W. Eggers, Special Forces, United States Army, Class of 1997 (KIA, IED, Afghanistan)

(NOTE: As custom in the days when I was a cadet, "Class" has seniority over "Rank" with ranks arranged in seniority within the Class year when posting information, hence 1996 before 1997 with Major before Captain within the Class).

In the words inscribed on our campus chapel: "Remember Now Thy Creator In The Days of Thy Youth".

And at the time we were cadets on a plaque just inside our main gate, "Two roads diverged in a wood; and I, I took the one less traveled, and that made all the difference."

Jorge L. Rechani
    SGT, MI, US Army
    MOS: 98C, 97B
    Class of 1997

"The mission of every veteran who marched ahead of the current generation of Americans, is to now firmly stand behind them."
    -- Unknown, USMC
    My best friend attended and graduated from The Citadel in 1969 and commissioned as a USAF 2nd Lt. I was the FIRST to salute him after he was commissioned being fortunate to have my ship in drydock in Portsmouth, VA Navy Yard and get leave to attend his graduation. He was assigned to SAC Missile Installation until his Active Duty Obligation was completed. I went back to Vietnam in 1970 and then served 2 years in the Naval Reserve with a P3 Squadron at NAS Glenview. I was privileged to be commissioned as an officer of the U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps in 1980 and retired as a LCDR in 1993 after my final ACDUTRA aboard the USS Standley a CG out of San Diego Naval Station and participated in RIMPAC 1993. The Standley supported Desert Storm.

Memorial Day Tribute Concert

Just finished watching the 34th Annual Memorial Day Tribute Concert on PBS which aired live yesterday. It was really fantastic so if you can still get it on your PBS station watch it.

Members who have read this thread: 0