Bekesbourne

Thread: Bekesbourne

Bekesbourne

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Scenery

Description: My impression of long lost Bekesbourne (Kent) aerodrome; built with AFCAD and EZ Scenery

Opened in 1916 as a home defence station with flights from 50, and later 56 squadron ; closed in 1919 and became home to Kent Flying Club;
    briefly reactivated in late 1939 until June 1940 as RAF bekesbourne with Lysanders and occasional Hurricane carrying out patrols over French Coast.

According to my research was originally built with 2 'GS' aka Belfast Truss hangars; only 1 survived ww2 to be included on later maps, (Bekesbourne was attacked by Luftwaffe on 12th August 1940; 2 months after it had closed for the duration.) later becoming a warehouse; then after suffering damage (which was repaired) in 1987 ; it fell into disuse and was eventually demolished to make way for housing.
    The Officers Mess/ HQ building and Chapel/Gym are now private houses; the buildings layout (other than Hangar) is purely artist licence

I've given you 3 time periods to play with ; only select and install ONE, and you'll need the ACG Duxford scenery libraries (not included here)
    in your static objects folder for buildings to show

As far as I can tell there were no designated runways, typical of the time it was just a landing field but as fs9 doesn't like that, you have 2 grass runways based upon best guess from old cine footage of Kent Flying Club having an 'open day' that can be found on-line.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Bekesbourne
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Thanks Pete. After your first announcement I did some reading about this airfield and it has in interesting history.

As I have a few days off I hope to reduce some of my back log with installing scenery.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0