Flyingironsimulations, major update (V1.4.0) Spitfire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flyingironsimulations, major update (V1.4.0) Spitfire

Flyingironsimulations Spitfire IX, major update (V1.4.0)

New update of there Spitfire is out.

https://flyingironsimulations.com/bl...-1-4-0-is-here

Full changelog 1.4.0:
    Flight Model

• Flying under a bridge detected, now prevents destroying the prop
    • Increased rudder authority in flight
    • Tuned prop drag
    • Adjusted static height
    • Adjusted MP power at 2000RPM to meet RAF target
    • Increased flap deploy pitch down effect
    • Increased yaw forces

Ground Handling

• Added authentic rudder-controlled differential braking
    • Increased wheel brake power
    • Improved gear suspension

Sound

• Complete overhaul of Merlin engine sounds. Exterior now has 3 unique sound cones (rear, prop & left/right).
    • Interior cockpit sounds updated
    • Remade prop sounds. Added exhaust sounds.
    • Complete overhaul of flyby sound processing.
    • Remade pitch curves and transitions for all engine tracks to be smoother and synchronised across tracks.
    • Added new engine start sounds (exterior exhaust + interior canopy open)
    • Added new distance attenuation models (cockpit + exterior)
    • Updated cockpit + exterior reverb models
    • Updated AI/Multiplayer sounds with the new sounds
    • Fixed AI/Multiplayer Spitfires not audible from inside cockpit
    • Rebalanced & improved wind sounds
    • Corrected wing creaking volume spike
    • Fixed fuel pump attenuation
    • Rebalanced all sounds
    • Pitch trim foley adjusted

Systems

• Added optional accelerometer
    • Increased coolant temp rise
    • Added oil & coolant initial temperatures for hot starts
    • Updated Instrument Cam #9

Visual Model

• Redesigned cockpit spot lighting
    • Low Fuel Pressure and Gear Indicator lights now emit a subtle ambient light
    • Redesigned exterior lighting
    • Fixed oil temperature gauge face
    • Added throttle lever vibrations
    • Widened ASI needle

Tablet

• Added ASI MPH/KTS toggle option
    • Added accelerometer gauge toggle option
    Last edited by mgr; May 15th, 2023 at 07:09.

Blog Entries
    Fascinating video's on that site, you really couldn't get a better recommendation than that

It was ok before and now it´s even better !

The latest update is just brilliant. The Flyingironsimulations Spitfire is now probably the first and only aircraft in MSFS that flies and handles like the real thing.

True braking behaviour and handling. During my real world training on a simple taildragger I learned to keep the stick fully back to keep the tail on the ground. Lacking to do so, especially during braking will result in a prop strike or worse. The take-off roll is perfectly controllable if done properly, also with crosswind. And WINGDIP, yes finally a proper wingdip on torque during take off.

If you think Flyingironsimulation got it wrong, too difficult? Think again, it is you: the simulation pilot who has to learn proper flying techniques. I hope als the other Flyingironsimulations aircraft will reach the same level of perfection. And maybe a seperate payware module that could be installed in other warbirds like the AH Spitfire Mk I and P51-D?

Love it, love it!

Paul
    Last edited by ftl818; May 16th, 2023 at 11:52.

I like the way this new version handles but I have some concerns with the sounds... to me v1.3.1 was a much better one on that subject.

I gotta say when FlyingIron first announced the Spitfire, my inital reaction was "ugh, X-Plane portover, probably going to be really mediocre."

Boy did I call that wrong! Their planes are among the best on MSFS.

Looking forward to trying it out. I thought that the torque on the last version was excessive. Didn't know whether to blame their FM update or if Asobo broke it with an SU. Will be interested to see if it is improved.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Looking forward to trying it out. I thought that the torque on the last version was excessive. Didn't know whether to blame their FM update or if Asobo broke it with an SU. Will be interested to see if it is improved.

August
    Just set the rudder trim right, gentle on the throttle and give right aileron to counter the wing dip and the aircraft takes off perfectly straight. Looking forward to the much more difficult ME109.

The challenge with trim, torque, etc. are that you're sitting static in front of a screen (or wearing goggles). In a real plane the physical forces help you instinctively counter these to some degree. In a simulation, you have only the visual cues, none of the physical, so simulating it 100% actually makes flying harder than it is in real life.

Fine to simulate this stuff at a hardcore level, but ideally there are toggles/assists to tame it for people who'd rather temper them given the lack of environmental feedback compared to real flying.

I'm hoping to hear more about the four-engined 'heavy' they have planned.

Done and works fine !
    Always doubting is close to the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    I'm hoping to hear more about the four-engined 'heavy' they have planned.
    On what 'four engined heavy' would you put your money, Paul ?

Militairy or civilian ? So far all their fine products have been of militairy stature... Type of engine also consistent so far (the A-7 wip shots do look amazing though..)

A Lancaster is in the AH works for quite some time already, looking pretty good too. Can we say that the B-17 is another popular militairy 'four engined heavy' ?

One of the aircraft i myself miss most in MSFS is the A2A B-17. No sign whatsoever from A2A about that (AFAIK neither from AH...) so i'll gladly put my money on 17 regarding FlyingIron's 4 engines...

I just spent time on the ground at Duxford being strafed by someone in the Silver Spitfire. I loved it. The flypast sounds are awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    On what 'four engined heavy' would you put your money, Paul ?

Militairy or civilian ? So far all their fine products have been of militairy stature... Type of engine also consistent so far (the A-7 wip shots do look amazing though..)

A Lancaster is in the AH works for quite some time already, looking pretty good too. Can we say that the B-17 is another popular militairy 'four engined heavy' ?

One of the aircraft i myself miss most in MSFS is the A2A B-17. No sign whatsoever from A2A about that (AFAIK neither from AH...) so i'll gladly put my money on 17 regarding FlyingIron's 4 engines...

Jan, I reckon the front runners are the Lancaster and B-17G. Flying Iron have clearly had a lot of interaction with the RAF's BBMF recently, and they have one of the two Lancasters currently airworthy. Failing that, I'm sure that any of the current B-17 'warbird' operators would be more than happy to accommodate Flying Iron's research requests. But remember, these are Australians - they might go completely bonkers and do a Mavis or Condor. ;-)

Which ever aircraft they do, one thing is certain - it will be millimetre perfect. Flying Iron's precision in shape and form is up there with the best of MSFS developers.

Jan, I reckon the front runners are the Lancaster and B-17G. Flying Iron have clearly had a lot of interaction with the RAF's BBMF recently, and they have one of the two Lancasters currently airworthy. Failing that, I'm sure that any of the current B-17 'warbird' operators would be more than happy to accommodate Flying Iron's research requests. But remember, these are Australians - they might go completely bonkers and do a Mavis or Condor. ;-)
    I'd say bring them on !

No doubt we're getting a B-17 sooner or later, either by FlyingIron or another MSFS developer, just too much of an aviation icon to be overlooked, isn't it. A Focke-Wulf Condor however would certainly be a very unexpected and interesting aircraft to see the MSFS daylight.

Just out of interest i googled 'Condor' and next to a truckload of wonderful photos of this majestic, biggest vulture species in the world i was confronted with knives, machetes, an asian actress, socks, atleast 3 movies, carpets, a travel agengy, agricultural machines, push buttons, an airline, linnen, various RC cars, an electric step, a bowtie, a lounce set, a garden set, a drone, a mopet, a motorbike, doorlocks, hydraulic lift, darts, biker helmets, sunglasses, a backpack, a TV series, a private estate, plants, a temple, a publishing house, a boutique, a rifle case, a heater, a fine wine, a chalet, a roof top tent, a GI Joe toy an a roller-coaster.... Nothing, nada about Focke-Wulf's 4 engined vulture...Not one word..

(Ok, yes, atm i have nothing better to do..)

Remarkable how something so relatively big and with such impact (literally) on the allied convoys in the Atlantic during WWII can still slip away into history with only a few aviation hobbyists knowing about it. Particularly if you take into account that the FW 200 Condor was responsible for sinking more than 900K ton of allied ships by the end of September 1940 and in April 1941 alone they sank a further 116 allied ships. Churchill called the Condors 'the scourge of the Atlantic'.

Anyway, nah, no matter how bonkers you'd think Aussies might probabely be i think we can safely assume a Condor nore a Mavis will not emerge from the FlyingIron hangars this time around. Good suggestions though, Paul. Hehe..

If i'm not mistaken they do fly a Lancaster in Australia too, right ? But the AH Lanc does look like it could get take-off clearance any day now so if i was FlyingIron i'd go for that B-17. Just make it a tad even better than the A2A Fortress and it will sell like hot cakes. ( i *would* certainly count on crew interaction/assistance and music from the 40's during those long flights, please ;-)

They can book me for two, even three if needed.

Blog Entries
    I'd say bring them on !

No doubt we're getting a B-17 sooner or later, either by FlyingIron or another MSFS developer, just too much of an aviation icon to be overlooked, isn't it. A Focke-Wulf Condor however would certainly be a very unexpected and interesting aircraft to see the MSFS daylight.

Just out of interest i googled 'Condor' and next to a truckload of wonderful photos of this majestic, biggest vulture species in the world i was confronted with knives, machetes, an asian actress, socks, atleast 3 movies, carpets, a travel agengy, agricultural machines, push buttons, an airline, linnen, various RC cars, an electric step, a bowtie, a lounce set, a garden set, a drone, a mopet, a motorbike, doorlocks, hydraulic lift, darts, biker helmets, sunglasses, a backpack, a TV series, a private estate, plants, a temple, a publishing house, a boutique, a rifle case, a heater, a fine wine, a chalet, a roof top tent, a GI Joe toy an a roller-coaster.... Nothing, nada about Focke-Wulf's 4 engined vulture...Not one word..

(Ok, yes, atm i have nothing better to do..)

Remarkable how something so relatively big and with such impact (literally) on the allied convoys in the Atlantic during WWII can still slip away into history with only a few aviation hobbyists knowing about it. Particularly if you take into account that the FW 200 Condor was responsible for sinking more than 900K ton of allied ships by the end of September 1940 and in April 1941 alone they sank a further 116 allied ships. Churchill called the Condors 'the scourge of the Atlantic'.

Anyway, nah, no matter how bonkers you'd think Aussies might probabely be i think we can safely assume a Condor nore a Mavis will not emerge from the FlyingIron hangars this time around. Good suggestions though, Paul. Hehe..

If i'm not mistaken they do fly a Lancaster in Australia too, right ? But the AH Lanc does look like it could get take-off clearance any day now so if i was FlyingIron i'd go for that B-17. Just make it a tad even better than the A2A Fortress and it will sell like hot cakes. ( i *would* certainly count on crew interaction/assistance and music from the 40's during those long flights, please ;-)

They can book me for two, even three if needed.
    I'm pretty certain that the only other airworthy Lancaster is in Canada.
    As FlyingIron obviously have access to The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight I'd have thought a Hurricane would have been an ideal choice for them to build.

As Ian says, the only other airworthy Lancaster is the Canadian Warplane Heritage one, based at Hamilton, Ontario. She spent a summer in Britain in 2014, displaying alongside the BBMF's example. I snapped these at Duxford. There is a third being restored to flying condition in Lincolnshire, but it's a long-term project.

The BBMF recently flew a trip over Belgium and the Netherlands, had I known it earlier I might have taken the day off. I think the the nearest flyby point was like 70-80km away, good distance a trip on my Speed Triple.

For the Spitfire Update I am very happy. The ground handling is easier then ever and still feels right. The sound has more of a mechanical note which I also don't mind. Thanks to Flying Iron for the update. Looking forward to what these guys come up with next.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

As Ian says, the only other airworthy Lancaster is the Canadian Warplane Heritage one, based at Hamilton, Ontario. She spent a summer in Britain in 2014, displaying alongside the BBMF's example. I snapped these at Duxford. There is a third being restored to flying condition in Lincolnshire, but it's a long-term project.
    Ok, thanks, so i *was* mistaken ...

Atleast there's 'G for George' in Australia, a Lancaster Mk I, but she's grounded at the Australian War Museum. I knew something Lanky was going on Down Under..

I had the pleasure of seeing the BBMF Lanc land at Soesterberg, the Netherlands, taxiing to her parking place and shut down and being prepared for- and take-off for her air display the next morning. All from 'behind the fence' , the best seat. Sight and sound never to forget.

Seeing the Lancaster being displayed at an air show is truly something special but that's to be expected, isn't it. I can say unexpected it's even more thrilling ! Last year i was walking to my car from a store when i heared something in the air...The unmistakably sound of a Merlin... and not only one but more ! You can imagine my heart skipped a beat. What could it be, a flight of Spitfires or P-51's, or maybe a Lancaster ??... It didn't take long but there she was, coming low over the houses where i was standing in the middle of the street with my groceries, nailed to the ground and i don't think i was breathing... The majestic roar of the four Merlins filling the air, engulfing me as she passed over my head at treetop height. I thought i'd died and gone to heaven...

The thing that surprised me even more was that, while i was almost ready to burst into flames, no one else in the street seemed to care or even look up. I had to deal with this all of a sudden, literally out of the blue, most exiting and thrilling event all on my own. I wanted to shout "Hey, People!! Didn't you see that !!?? That was a Lancaster for god sake !!! "

Nobody cares for aircraft around here. Probabely because my village is close by- and underneath the ILS path for EHAM Schiphol Runway 19C. When winds are south'ish aircraft fly over pretty low all day long. Nobody looks up, just me. They probabely don't know the difference between a 737 and a Lancaster and couldn't care less. I was happy to survive this extraordinairy event without my heart skipping more than one beat and my breath coming back alright.

Btw, thanks for the photos, Paul, not sure what my heart will do upon seeing *Two* Lancs passing by ! Together with the Spits that's 10 Merlin's in a row !

Btw, them two T-28's in the foreground... Nice! Miss that "Chugga, Chugga" a LOT in MSFS ! (Common, Anthony ! )

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    I'm pretty certain that the only other airworthy Lancaster is in Canada.
    As FlyingIron obviously have access to The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight I'd have thought a Hurricane would have been an ideal choice for them to build.
    Thanks, Ian. My mistake.

A native MSFS Hurricane by FlyingIron would certainly get my creditcard warmed up ! Pity it only has one engine...

As you say, good chance for them to pick up on the BBMF Hurri after their four engined mystery plane has taken off. Good things come to those who wait.. ;-)

Ok, thanks, so i *was* mistaken ...

Atleast there's 'G for George' in Australia, a Lancaster Mk I, but she's grounded at the Australian War Museum. I knew something Lanky was going on Down Under..

I had the pleasure of seeing the BBMF Lanc land at Soesterberg, the Netherlands, taxiing to her parking place and shut down and being prepared for- and take-off for her air display the next morning. All from 'behind the fence' , the best seat. Sight and sound never to forget.

Seeing the Lancaster being displayed at an air show is truly something special but that's to be expected, isn't it. I can say unexpected it's even more thrilling ! Last year i was walking to my car from a store when i heared something in the air...The unmistakably sound of a Merlin... and not only one but more ! You can imagine my heart skipped a beat. What could it be, a flight of Spitfires or P-51's, or maybe a Lancaster ??... It didn't take long but there she was, coming low over the houses where i was standing in the middle of the street with my groceries, nailed to the ground and i don't think i was breathing... The majestic roar of the four Merlins filling the air, engulfing me as she passed over my head at treetop height. I thought i'd died and gone to heaven...

The thing that surprised me even more was that, while i was almost ready to burst into flames, no one else in the street seemed to care or even look up. I had to deal with this all of a sudden, literally out of the blue, most exiting and thrilling event all on my own. I wanted to shout "Hey, People!! Didn't you see that !!?? That was a Lancaster for god sake !!! "

Nobody cares for aircraft around here. Probabely because my village is close by- and underneath the ILS path for EHAM Schiphol Runway 19C. When winds are south'ish aircraft fly over pretty low all day long. Nobody looks up, just me. They probabely don't know the difference between a 737 and a Lancaster and couldn't care less. I was happy to survive this extraordinairy event without my heart skipping more than one beat and my breath coming back alright.

Btw, thanks for the photos, Paul, not sure what my heart will do upon seeing *Two* Lancs passing by ! Together with the Spits that's 10 Merlin's in a row !

Btw, them two T-28's in the foreground... Nice! Miss that "Chugga, Chugga" a LOT in MSFS ! (Common, Anthony ! )
    I really get you there, Jan!

I never saw one. A B-17 on Hahnweide once and that was such a special moment. When it first came into sight, the 30-40.000 people attending suddenly were silent and in awe. But those were all aviation nuts from all over Europe I guess.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Blog Entries
    Interesting and unusual event at Coningsby, posted yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by ftl818 View Post
    Just set the rudder trim right, gentle on the throttle and give right aileron to counter the wing dip and the aircraft takes off perfectly straight. Looking forward to the much more difficult ME109.
    I'm not saying that I have difficulty doing it, I'm saying that it's not accurate. If a real Spitfire required this much aileron deflection to prevent rolling at high power settings, the Germans would be in charge of England now.

The flight model cfg for the Spitfire shows every sign of having been built with incorrect parameters and then band-aided with scalars to approximate correct flying characteristics, and building a flight model that way is not robust to sim modelling changes and developer updates. It ends up being band-aid over band-aid over band-aid.

But this was pre update, so I'll be interested to see how 1.4 behaves.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    I'm not saying that I have difficulty doing it, I'm saying that it's not accurate. If a real Spitfire required this much aileron deflection to prevent rolling at high power settings, the Germans would be in charge of England now.

The flight model cfg for the Spitfire shows every sign of having been built with incorrect parameters and then band-aided with scalars to approximate correct flying characteristics, and building a flight model that way is not robust to sim modelling changes and developer updates. It ends up being band-aid over band-aid over band-aid.

But this was pre update, so I'll be interested to see how 1.4 behaves.

August
    My understanding was that the new flight model has been validated by BBMF pilots ?

I look forward to trying it out, then.

Although, as a rule, when I hear that a flight sim plane has been endorsed by real pilots of the type, it tends not to impress me much, at least as regards flight handling. I'm sure the endorsement is sincere, but differences and "artistic license," for lack of a better word, that must be taken in translating real world flight to a consumer PC sim are such that I don't really even know what such an endorsement means. YouTuber 737NG Driver did a good video on this subject some weeks ago. Still, it's better than them saying it sucks, I guess!

August

Members who have read this thread: 0