RFC Goldhanger (v2).zip

Thread: RFC Goldhanger (v2).zip

RFC Goldhanger (v2).zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Scenery

Description: Here is another of my afcad / ez scenery projects; this time its Goldhanger Flight Station ( aka RFC Goldhanger) version2 now with the Afcad included (my bad);

Used by 37 (home defense) squadron for anti-zeppelin patrols day and night night ; to that end the rudimentary flare path (because that is what it was, flares lit by ground staff to indicate the direction of the runways) is represented by taxiway center lights

More info on the site here: http://www.churchside1.plus.com/Gold.../Great-War.htm

it is now used as a private airstrip with the code GB0953, I've used G953 as AFCAD only allows a 4 character code

https://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/Goldhanger

I've used some objects from 37 sqn's main base scenery at Stow Maries so you'll need that installed for textures if some dont show;

About 37 Sqn: 37 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps was formed at RFC Orfordness, Suffolk, on 15 April 1916 as an experimental squadron, but it was disbanded a month later when it was absorbed back into the experimental station at Orfordness. On 15 September of that year, it was re-formed, with its headquarters at Woodham Mortimer, and main bases at Rochford (Now Southend Airport), Stow Maries and Goldhanger, all in Essex. The squadron operated a mixture of aircraft, (basically whatever was available to it) including B.E.2s, B.E.12s and F.E.2bs. Its responsibilities included defending London against aerial attack, both by German Zeppelins at night and by aircraft during the day.

As a result of the start of large-scale attacks by German Gotha bombers, the squadron received several Sopwith 1½ Strutters in May 1917, with better performance than its existing aircraft, which struggled to catch the Gothas, and Sopwith Pup fighters were also received to counter the Gothas, although by August, the Pups had been withdrawn to form new Home Defense squadrons.[9] On the night of 16/17 June 1917, one of the squadron's B.E.12s, flown by Lieutenant Pierce Watkins, attacked the Zeppelin L48, which caught fire and crashed. While the airship was also attacked almost simultaneously by an F.E.2 and a DH.2 from the Orfordness experimental station, Watkin was officially given sole credit for shooting down L48. In August the squadron (together with 50 Squadron) experimented with using radio equipped B.E.12s to report on the movements of enemy aircraft, to allow the daytime Gotha raids to be tracked.

The squadron became part of the new Royal Air Force on 1 April 1918.[As it was assigned to patrol to the north of London where attacks were less likely, it retained its obsolete B.E.12s well into 1918, receiving its first modern S.E.5s in May. In October 1918, the squadron re-equipped with Sopwith Camels and in December replaced these by Sopwith Snipes. The squadron moved to Biggin Hill in March 1919 and in July 1919 it was renumbered as No. 39 Squadron RAF.

Feel free to improve change as you like

Pete

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit RFC Goldhanger (v2).zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Hi Pete, airfield's working good, i happily do a background but i might move the runways a little west, im guessing your using photo scenery, but for stock user's, things could get a little wet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Hi Pete, airfield's working good, i happily do a background but i might move the runways a little west, im guessing your using photo scenery, but for stock user's, things could get a little wet
    Be my guest..I haven't had a stock install for years!

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 1