Norseman - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Norseman

I like it more and more . Is there such a Swedish livery? Don't annoy me with screenshots because I can't stand it and I'll buy it.

This monitor reminds me Pip boy from Follout :

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I bought it and I love it!

Cees

I'm going to have to mull it over. The BB Turbo Porter fills the same role, and I'm currently having a lot of fun with that one.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Yoyo, that Swedish livery is one of the stock liveries.

Tom, other than sharing some potential places to fly and having a fan in the front, the experience of flying the Norseman is almost nothing like the Turbo Porter. I'm confident you'll get more than your $20 worth. The Norseman is only "STOL" if you read the techniques in the manual and really learn how to fly it. As a 1935 design that was really the first purpose-built bush plane, it's not exactly overburdened with extra power (the biggest difference between the Porter), and the instruments, audio, and handling definitely have a period feel.

Highly recommend the James Cagney movie "Captains of the Clouds" for some awesome Norseman prototype footage, as well as lots of other amazing 1940-ish Canadian aerospace. (Including a Hurricane painted to look like a Bf-109.)

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Highly recommend the James Cagney movie "Captains of the Clouds" for some awesome Norseman prototype footage,....
    Good to know, will check!

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Some more time on the Tundra version & I have found this is quite a nuanced release.
    Through the 'TV' there are a number of options available as regards freight, & other matters.
    Also, I discovered that as well as the GPS [above the windscreen], the TV has a Help button that turns out to be a basic AP.
    It will give ALT HLD, NAV & HDG HLD, & GPS.
    I just flew a dog leg flight on GPS/NAV & it followed the flight plan, no problem.
    I would recommend that even if you create a flight plan in MSFS scenario set up, enter the data, waypoints etc in the GPS Flight Plan module as that seems to be what it needs for the AP to have the GPS/NAV function execute the flight plan.
    Overall, 1 of those aircraft that grows on you the more you fly it.
    Hoping some Liveries start coming through.
    T43
    Last edited by Twice43; April 9th, 2023 at 09:00.

I caved and bought it. I know what I'm doing after my chores!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Love it, great little plane. Really enjoyable. PAVD and north, RCMP livery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Most-Danger...t%2C73&sr=1-15

Highly recommended (along with his other aviation-themed thrillers) - flying a Norseman in the wilds of Finland and around...

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    Hoping some Liveries start coming through.
    T43
    As I know, the paintkit will be in the next upade.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    As I know, the paintkit will be in the next upade.
    I have a few planned for this one: Austin Airways original scheme, Ontario Provincial Air Service, RCAF wartime and postwar, and CF-JIN (which is being restored locally to me). I had already started on the existing templates but I'm going to wait until the paintkit comes out.

Well I bought it and it's very nice, with a couple of caveats...

The panel is pretty miserable in 2D (as are all BR panels ) but much better in VR

That modern AS3X panel in the roof is an abomination, luckily its hidden away and normally I would ignore it, but it appears to be the only way to get radios.
    And even using the AS3X the radios don't seem to actually work!

I can only set com1 standby and the XFER button doesn't work so com1 active can't be set.
    The XFER button is hidden in the freq setting page, should really be on the main page so you can quickly toggle between stations.

Using an external program to set com1 active (Vatsim radio) the radio still doesn't work, no TX/RX.

I know it's an old plane, but they DID have radios (the online manual even mentions it was used as a radio trainer but doesn't mention actually using a radio) and lots of old planes have much better radio implementations.

Has anybody actually got a working radio?

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Most-Danger...t%2C73&sr=1-15

Highly recommended (along with his other aviation-themed thrillers) - flying a Norseman in the wilds of Finland and around...
    Apologies, I misremembered ... it's mostly a Beaver, the Norseman is just a memory...still a great book though!

To fix the radios,
    in systems.cfg, set COM1 and NAV1 to be off BUS 2 (avionics)
    change runway.flt and apron.flt to read
    circuit.27=True,1.00
    circuit.28=True,1.00
    will now power the COM1 and NAV1 radios

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Apologies, I misremembered ... it's mostly a Beaver, the Norseman is just a memory...still a great book though!
    I agree, and 'Shooting Script' is great too, if you like B-25's
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

A71-10 01 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

working on better Swedish textures
    78001 (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and another one
    78002 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ATC (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ATC (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Oooh, super excited for those, Jan Kees!

If by any chance you decide to do the Buffalo Airways Norseman, I can send the original hi-res images I downloaded as I was putting together the request. Just PM me if you want them! (They're all available online, I just spent some time gathering.)

https://flightsim.to/request/livery/...rduyn-norseman

No worries if that one doesn't interest you, though! Just wanted to throw that out there in case it did.

Big Radials are working on an update, hopefully including non-mirrored wing textures, so I am waiting with uploading until the update arrives. Once the wings are unmirrored, I'll see about doing a few more Norsemans, both civilian and military. I had been eyeing the Buffalo one, but also several Australians and Scandinavian aircraft.

ATC-F (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ATC-F (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ATC-F (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Anyone found an anchor ?....

Has the Orbx forum been closed ?...

Thanks!

RNoAF (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

RNoAF (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

RNoAF (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

a bit too shiny I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Anyone found an anchor ?....

Has the Orbx forum been closed ?...

Thanks!
    It's open, but there's not much activity regarding the Norseman.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/search/?q=norseman
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0