Fs98 scenery into Fs2004 one for the scenery gurus....

Thread: Fs98 scenery into Fs2004 one for the scenery gurus....

Fs98 scenery into Fs2004 one for the scenery gurus....

Calling the scenery gurus...

Can it be done?(Fs98 scenery into Fs2004 that is)

Will it perform as expected?

What tweaks does it need if so?

In my quest for a Hahnweide scenery,I've found this one which gives "normal" and "airshow" scenery

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...ntage-airshow/

and this one which needs Europe Pro 1 by Apollo:

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...weide-airshow/

Highthangyou.

The only way to find out is try it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    I like it Mr Elliot.
    Cruising around t'internet,some say static stuff will but animated stuff won't,some say non of it will,
    but like you,AFAIK,older stuff will go into new,but newer stuff won't go into old.

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Well,that didn't go well.
    Everything was floating in mid-air,I took off OK but after landing I turned off the strip and fell down a big hole.......

So,Fs98 scenery into Fs9?......er,no,it doesn't really work

Lightbulb

I don't know about FS2004 (or FS2002 for that matter), but for FS2000 it's doable. The issue that you run into though is that the scenery format for FS2000+ is different than the older versions of MSFS.

This might work for FS2004, I don't know, but for FS2000 you would have to create a "flatten" (and possibly an "exclude") entry in your Scenery.cfg file for the FS98 scenery in order for it to function properly (e.g. not do what you described... the scenery floating up in the air).

I don't know about FS2002/FS2004/+++, but here is a blurb in FS2000's readme about creating the Scenery.cfg entries:

Code:
    3RD-PARTY SCENERY
    =================
    -Some backward-compatible/add-on sceneries may not appear as expected in FS2000.  The factors most commonly responsible for such problems are:

a) Flight Simulator 2000 uses a digital elevation mesh terrain system instead of the flat "seed" system from prior versions, and

b) Flight Simulator 2000 incorporates nearly every airport and published navigational aid in the entire world.  

FS2000 has two "switches" - Flatten and Exclude - that can be used in the Scenery.cfg file (located in the main FS2000 folder) to solve a great number of visual problems with backward-compatible/add-on scenery. The Flatten switch flattens a given four-sided area to a single specified elevation. The Exclude switch excludes the default Microsoft scenery (objects and/or navigational aids) in a given four-sided area from being displayed (or transmitted in the case of radio navigational aids).  

Both switches affect only scenery areas with a lower layer number than the scenery area they are added in. For example, if the switch is placed in layer 70, then only layers 69 and below will be affected. Switches are added to the end of a scenery area entry in the Scenery.cfg file using a text editor.  Exclude and Flatten switches can both be added to the same Scenery area.

-----------------------------
    How to Use the Flatten Switch

The Flatten switch syntax is as follows:

Flatten.X=Elevation,Latitude1,Longitude1,Latitude2,Longitude2,Latitude3,Longitude3,Latitude4,Longitude4

X is equal to a number between 0 and 9, but you must start with Flatten.0, then Flatten.1, and so on, up to Flatten.9.  You are allowed a maximum of 10 Flatten switches per Scenery Area (thus the numbers 0-9).

The Elevation is in feet above or below mean sea level (msl) and can be any number between -2000 and 99999.

The Latitude and Longitude of points 1, 2, 3, and 4 must be entered in a clockwise or counter clockwise fashion about the four sided area such as:

1  +-------------+ 2
           |         |
           |         |
           |            |
        4  +-------------+ 3
    or

1  +-------------+ 4
           |         |
           |         |
           |            |
        2  +-------------+ 3

and must be in the form of degrees and minutes.  You do not need to add the * or ' symbols to indicate degrees and minutes, and the shape does not have to be a rectangle.  Any four-sided shape will work.

The maximum size of a flattened area is 90 degrees of longitude and 45 degrees of latitude. 

EXAMPLE: This example flattens two separate but adjacent regions inside the scenery area to an elevation of 1000' MSL.

[Area.100]
    Group=Your Area
    ID=Your Area
    Title=Your Area
    Active=TRUE
    Layer=100
    Local=C:\Your Area
    Flatten.0=1000,N45 30,W120,N45 30,W119 30,N45,W119 30,N45,W120
    Flatten.1=1000,N45,W120,N45,W119 30, N44 30,W119 30,N44 30,W120

How to Use the Exclude switch

The Exclude switch syntax is as follows:

Exclude=North Latitude,West Longitude,South Latitude,East Longitude,category

Exclusion happens only in a rectangular area such as:

North Latitude
               +-------------+ 
               |         |
        West Longitude |         |East Longitude
               |            |
               +-------------+
               South Latitude

and must follow the form North Latitude, West Longitude, South Latitude, East Longitude.  The Latitude and Longitude entries must be in the form of degrees and minutes.  You do not need to add the * or ' symbols to indicate degrees and minutes.

The category determines which default scenery type you choose to exclude in the defined area.  There are 4 categories:

objects - Excludes all default 3-dimensional buildings and objects as well as airports.
    vors - Excludes all default VOR and ILS navigational aids
    ndbs - Excludes all default NDB navigational aids.
    all - Excludes all default objects and navigational aids

You can use 1 or more categories in an Exclude switch.

The maximum size of an Exclude area is 90 degrees of longitude and 45 degrees of latitude. 

EXAMPLE: This example excludes all scenery types EXCEPT NDB navigational aids from a rectangular area.

[Area.100]
    Group=Your Area
    ID=Your Area
    Title=Your Area
    Active=TRUE
    Layer=100
    Local=C:\Your Area
    Exclude=N45 30,W120,N45,W119 30,objects,vors

Quote Originally Posted by Miggers View Post
    Well,that didn't go well.
    Everything was floating in mid-air,I took off OK but after landing I turned off the strip and fell down a big hole.......

So,Fs98 scenery into Fs9?......er,no,it doesn't really work
    A flatten file would bring the surrounding terrain up to the level of the scenery. It would be up on a plateau but if you made the flatten big enough you wouldn't notice it so much from ground level. It would be better to adjust the elevation of the scenery to match the surrounding terrain but I don't know if that's possible with FS98 scenery. At least I don't know how to go about it.

Members who have read this thread: 1