RCS B-25 Bomb Bay Doors

Thread: RCS B-25 Bomb Bay Doors

RCS B-25 Bomb Bay Doors

Hello all, I'm looking for some pointers here. I am running Roy Chaffin's B-25 in FSX and have a problem with the bomb bay doors. They are operated by the water rudder key but the animation is non-existent. They go from full closed to full open visual condition with no animation in between. I tried lengthening the retraction and extension time for the water rudders in the contact points section of the CFG. No go. I then imported it into MCX and saw a spot in the animation where the doors get about halfway, close a bit then continue to the full open position. There was a number out of sequence at point 72 on the animation key editor, so I fixed it and got it to where I no longer got the "quaternion not normalized" warning. I exported it and now the water rudder/bomb bay door animation works but my main gear are out of position, being about 70% retracted with part of the strut in a goofy position (although the contact point is in place as the plane sits fine on the ground). I tried a second run where I merely changed the animation title in the hierarchy editor from 'lever_water_rudder" to "l_spoiler key" and "r_spoiler_key" which had the bay doors working off of my spoiler button (complete with a dip in the animation due to the out of sequence number) but something is happening during export that causes the main gear to go wonky. (Also the entry ladders appear on the exterior of the aircraft in both cases.)
    Last edited by Josh Patterson; March 26th, 2023 at 19:44.

There must have gone something wrong with the conversion, as the FS2004 version has an animated sequence for the bomb bay doors.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    There must have gone something wrong with the conversion, as the FS2004 version has an animated sequence for the bomb bay doors.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Yeah Huub. I used to run the 2004 in FSX before the conversion and they did work. As an aside, the solid nose version of Milton's A-26 does this too but for some reason the glass nose has normal bomb bay animation. (Or maybe it's the other way around.) As I said, I did get them to work but it affected the main gear display and animation. Is this a common problem during conversions? Is there anything I can do about it other than go back to the 2004 version? (And IF I do get it to work, would it be okay to post the modified MDL file? I'd ask permission but from what I've read Roy is tough to get a hold of.)

I am still quite new to MCX (and WAY behind the curve for FS2020). There are a couple of planes I'd like to build but I'm still having trouble tackling this stuff.

Icon4

Hello,

I am running Roy Chaffin's B-25 in FSX

I suppose you know ...... RIP

Code:
    https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/memorials/death-notices/death/30544224.roy-chaffin/

Roy Chaffin was a good man and one hell of an artist. RIP Roy, the pain you spoke of is over.

Very sorry to hear that he has passed away.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0