FSX - Is it alas no more?

Thread: FSX - Is it alas no more?

FSX - Is it alas no more?

Hello,

At the Museum at which I work, we used to run a very successful Hawker Hunter simulator, which taught school children on the aspects of flight and navigation on a local flight around our County. All was well for years and then this Winter, the PC has decided to throw a wobbly and not boot up. I was all for a replacement but the powers that be insisted of a repair and so with new memory (seems that was the cause of the failure), and the fitting of a SSD, the new system is up and running. Lovely.

The hard drive has been cloned to an all seeing and dancing SSD and thus when FSX is loaded up, it asks for the code. This of course doesnt work, so I presume and I believe from past efforts that the FSX servers jsut dont exist anymore and thus the sim and PC are vitually useless? The sim was one of a kind, there is no backup and so without the codes it wont run. So perhaps back to the drawing board and maybe an upgrade for this steam powered machine to one capable of running dare I say it, MS2020. This one might make a good doorstop I suppose.

Please tell me that its dead......

Cheers,

Martin

Suggest moving to P3Dv4 or 5.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

FSX is curently on sale at £3.99 in the Steam store. Probably the simplest solution.
    MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

It was still working both online automatic activation or by using the Phone activation free phone number for the UK found in the main fsx folder.

The Phone activation resets activations again as well, it's a bit long winded and you have to go through the process twice for FSX and Acc. Make sure you have a pen handy.

If you have the disks just uninstall FSX and reinstall it, Fsx shouldn't remove the stuff that's not default.

Have you tried the registry PartMgr trick so you get the activation screen, just google it for instructions.

When I bought a new PC I ran into the same problem. Like MarkH already said a few posts ago Steam offers FSX for a very reasonable price. So I waited for the next Steam sale and bought FSX for a few Euros. So when you do have network in the museum, I would go that way. Cheap and reliable.

Cheers,
    Huub

FSX Steam

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    Hello,

At the Museum at which I work, we used to run a very successful Hawker Hunter simulator, which taught school children on the aspects of flight and navigation on a local flight around our County. All was well for years and then this Winter, the PC has decided to throw a wobbly and not boot up. I was all for a replacement but the powers that be insisted of a repair and so with new memory (seems that was the cause of the failure), and the fitting of a SSD, the new system is up and running. Lovely.

The hard drive has been cloned to an all seeing and dancing SSD and thus when FSX is loaded up, it asks for the code. This of course doesnt work, so I presume and I believe from past efforts that the FSX servers jsut dont exist anymore and thus the sim and PC are vitually useless? The sim was one of a kind, there is no backup and so without the codes it wont run. So perhaps back to the drawing board and maybe an upgrade for this steam powered machine to one capable of running dare I say it, MS2020. This one might make a good doorstop I suppose.

Please tell me that its dead......

Cheers,

Martin
    You can purchase FSX Steam and run your simulator just as before. MS2020 will not run anything that is FSX. It is totally incompatible with them. Check out
    FSX Steam on Dovetail Games.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Suggest moving to P3Dv4 or 5.
    I also recommend going to Prepar3d.
    The only issue you might have run into is if the Hawker Hunter or the scenery is not P3D compatible.
    But these things can be updated.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Members who have read this thread: 1