SARO works, Beaumaris

Thread: SARO works, Beaumaris

somewhere for Shessi's cats to lurk

The Saunders-Roe factory at Fryars House ; Beaumaris (SARO had the contract to outfit all the Catalina's for the RAF; 399 passed through there and a few PBM 3 as well) Anyone know of a SARO Lerwick for fs?

Coming to a library 'soon'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SARO_1.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	90130

ttfn

Pete

That looks VERY interesting, looking forward to it already. As far as I know none of the other boat factories are available, happy to be proven wrong. Trying to think of the location, can only remember Rochester, Woolston & East Cowes.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    That looks VERY interesting, looking forward to it already. As far as I know none of the other boat factories are available, happy to be proven wrong. Trying to think of the location, can only remember Rochester, Woolston & East Cowes.
    https://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/ai...der/beaumaris/

Hi Pete,
    Nice one!!

Beaumaris was an important place for CC and flying boat out-fitting/trials etc, good to have it. Somewhere to visit and have lunch.......

Andy,
    There were many smaller satellite factories from the main ones, Calshot, Felixstowe, Belfast et al, along with those you mentioned.

Cheers

Shessi

p.s I appreciate the title, but it's really Alphasim's after all
    Last edited by Shessi; March 16th, 2023 at 06:34.

When its released, ill knock up a poly for it

SARO works, Beaumaris

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Scenery

Description: Here is another of my EZ scenery /AFCAD creations for fs9;

This time its' the Saunders-Roe 'shadow' works at Fryars Bay , Beaumaris,North Wales.

The site was built in the early 1940's by Saunders Roe (or SARO for the purposes of brevity), as much of their production capacity at Cowes on the Isle of Wight was taken up with the Supermarine Walrus. SARO were given the contract to equip the Catalina flying boats bought from America, and this site was chosen. The Menai Straits provided excellent water for flying boat operations, and was, I suppose, more accessible for the American built aircraft flying in over the Atlantic.

In total 399 Catalinas came through the site. Substantial work was done, including installation of ASV (air to surface vessel) radar, work carried out in strict secrecy.

The Saunders Roe design and development department had also moved to Beaumaris, as work at Cowes was being constantly interrupted by air raids. Two of the company sites at East Cowes were totally destroyed in one air raid in May 1942; this air raid is still remembered locally in East Cowes in part due to the ferocious defence of the town put up by the Polish Navy Destroyer 'Blyskawica', which was docked at the shipyard of J S White & co.
    you can read about that here: https://www.blyskawica-cowes.org.uk/cowes_blitz/ (incidentally both of my Grandads were firefighters that night)

As well as the main effort on the Catalinas, a lot of other design work was done. One example was a wooden hull for the Walrus which was used in the final 191 Walruses produced. The first five of these hulls was made at Beaumaris.

Another undertaking was the wing for the Shetland flying boat, a project shared with Short Brothers who were responsible for the hull.

The flying boats were hauled out on the slipway which remains on the foreshore. Most of the wartime hangars remain on the site, although some have been substantially altered. During this period 2000 people worked on the site, and were bussed in from all over North Wales.

You'll need the MAIW scenery libraries, the UKvfr scenery libraries and Ted Andrew's small RAF buildings library in addition to the little extra's I've used included.

I built this to align with the UK VFR photoscenery which I use, but should also work in stock installations.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit SARO works, Beaumaris
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

... the UKvfr scenery libraries ???

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    ... the UKvfr scenery libraries ???
    You should find them at Avsim, Mick, packaged with the Autogen " Agent" utility

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    You should find them at Avsim, Mick, packaged with the Autogen " Agent" utility
    Ttfn
    Pete
    Would this be it?

"LOM Library Objects Images - Set 34 - UK VFR Addons"

Would this be it?

"LOM Library Objects Images - Set 34 - UK VFR Addons"
    Think that's just images to use with Scruffy Ducks programs.

Was also at Flightsim.com as UKVFR.zip

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Think that's just images to use with Scruffy Ducks programs.
    Was also at Flightsim.com as UKVFR.zip
    Ttfn
    Pete
    Yes, that one is just images.

I searched at FlightSim and all I could get was a list of sceneries that require it, but not it. If it's there, then apparently the seqarch finction at FlightSim is messed up just as badly as the library and the rest of the site since their makeover.

I looked et AvSim and SimV and no luck there either. Apparently FS, the only site that has it (or had it) has it buried somewhere that it can't be found.

Thank you!

Downloading as I type this.

It's listed as an FSX item. But the file name is the same as what's given in the scenery ReadMe, so can I assume that it's the right one and it won't be bothersome in FS9?

Thank you!

Downloading as I type this.

It's listed as an FSX item. But the file name is the same as what's given in the scenery ReadMe, so can I assume that it's the right one and it won't be bothersome in FS9?
    I believe, UKVFR Libraries is/was intended for FS2004, and was also found compatible with FSX, and thus described as such...

Hope it works out!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfebee89 View Post
    I believe, UKVFR Libraries is/was intended for FS2004, and was also found compatible with FSX, and thus described as such...
    Hope it works out!
    Cheers!
    Thanks! I shall give it a try.

Drove past the old SARO works last year en route to Beaumaris.
    Apparently there would be upto 100 Catalinas moored in the 'Straits awaiting work.
    They were flown from the U.S directly and moored there whilst awaiting work to put in the RAF equipment.

Members who have read this thread: 0