Huon Gulf Scenery UT
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huon Gulf Scenery UT

From Buna & Wau to Finschhafen

I thought I'd start a separate thread to post progress made extending my SWPTO scenery from Buna/Wau north & east to Finschhafen.

First, some shots from the Wau- Bulolo goldfield area...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PNG_Nth_of_Bulolo_looking_twds_Wau.jpg   PNG_Bulolo_looking_SW.jpg   Gold_dredge_closeup.jpg   PNG_Wau_mine_headframe.jpg  

Next, a selection of shots showing the myriad of Landing Grounds & Emergency Fields peppering the area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PNG_Slate_Creek_from_SW.jpg   PNG_Boana-cub2.jpg   PNG_Hopoi.jpg   PNG_Heldsbach_looking_W.jpg  

And some from the area SE of the Wau valley...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PNG_Garaina_closeup.jpg   PNG_Pancake.jpg   PNG_Dona.jpg   PNG_Ioma.jpg  

Lastly, a selection of shots from the Finschhafen area. The Salamaua & Lae area has been covered in the screenshots thread before.

I'm working on a package that will do early war to mid-43. As with my Solomons package, I intend to do a separate set showing the build-up at Tsili-Tsili, Nazdab & Dreger Field at Finschhafen through the latter half of 1943.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PNG_Langemak_Bay_looking_W.jpg   PNG_Finschhafen_looking_S.jpg  

Library Staff
    Fantastic!

Great pictures, John, looking forward to this new scenery.

Outstanding!

The anticipation is unbearable.

Just curious.....

What are you flying in these pics? The single engine, fixed gear.

Man, what an improvement, gorgeous shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Worthless View Post
    What are you flying in these pics? The single engine, fixed gear.

It's Ralf Kreibich's Junkers W34. Pepe converted some of the model varieties (GER, CHI), but the uncowled engine variants were the one's used in supporting the goldfield operations in the Wau & Bulolo valleys during the 1930's.

A lot of the animations didn't convert over, & I'm still finessing the flight performance, but they should be ready for upload soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RK_WH34hi_VC.jpg   RK_wh34hi_closeup.jpg   RK_wh34hi_wheels_DEC41a.jpg   RK_wh34hi_floats_GuineaAW_JAN42c.jpg  

Some of the new object mdls developed for this scenery ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails golddredge_basemodel2.jpg   metalbridge1_UTa.jpg   plantation60x40_UT.jpg   Wau_crane_A_UT.jpg   mine_headframe_UT.jpg   Stamp_Mill_UT.jpg  

Lae_Hangar_UT.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    It's Ralf Kreibich's Junkers W34. Pepe converted some of the model varieties (GER, CHI), but the uncowled engine variants were the one's used in supporting the goldfield operations in the Wau & Bulolo valleys during the 1930's.

A lot of the animations didn't convert over, & I'm still finessing the flight performance, but they should be ready for upload soon.
    What a neat aircraft. Can't wait to download and take a cruise. Thanks!

Nice, very nice, UT. Like all your work it is exceptional quality and greatly appreciated.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22 Reply...

UncleTgt,

Very nice! It's amazing to follow your progress in these threads!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

John, I really admire you for your ability to do all this.
    Scenery, airplane improvements and repaints, objects, everything!
    Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Incredible work John, amazing how this sim can keep on being improved. Keep it up buddy

Aussie

Amazing, great work, thanks for sharing!

Into the final stretch, just finished creating the US strips from the late '43/early '44 period:

Tsil-Tsili, all 5 Nadzab strips, & Dreger Field near to Finschhafen.

Just a lot of gsl object work to do now, to finish off how they will look...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PNG_DregerFld_WIP1.jpg   PNG_Nadzab44E_WIP2.jpg   PNG_Nadzab44E_WIP1.jpg   PNG_TsiliTsili_WIP1.jpg   Markham_valley_twds_Lae.jpg  

This is outstanding work! We sure have come a long way when we look back at the original stock scenery for CFS2.

Thanks for all the effort you have put in to this. For me, good scenery is a must if I'm going to enjoy flying, and you have vastly improved the look and realism in a spot that Microsoft didn't do justice to.

Hey Unc,

No offense intended at all, but I admit that I've avoided a lot of PTO scenery makeovers over the years because they lacked sand and waves along the coastlines. I just wanted to express my appreciation at seeing this touch more and more in your work. I'm sure that involves effort of which I am clueless.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Hey Unc,

No offense intended at all, but I admit that I've avoided a lot of PTO scenery makeovers over the years because they lacked sand and waves along the coastlines. I just wanted to express my appreciation at seeing this touch more and more in your work. I'm sure that involves effort of which I am clueless.
    No offense intended but that's not really in my opinion a great reason to avoid the new scenery since that can be added yourself don't have to use those parts of the new scenery. Now if you had said it was because of a lack of missions or campaigns made for it or it conflicts with your favorite stock missions then I could understand your point but sand it's pretty easy to get that.

Blog Entries
    If memory serves me correct I made a sand mod awhile back and uploaded it. came from a image of the real stuff. Sorry dog poop and seagull feathers not included.

Members who have read this thread: 0