Another dumb/re-asked question

Thread: Another dumb/re-asked question

Another dumb/re-asked question

I may have asked this before, my CRS (can't remember s**t) is worse than ever. But the A/C tags... are the distance numbers in feet, yards, meters, cubits, Peruvian fruit bat average wingspans...?

IIRC it matches the units you chose to fly with (feet if using mph, meters if using kph ...)

UT,

There is no MPH setting. Only Kts or Kph. I'm going to assume that the US measurements even though in knots gives you feet in the tag distance.

The distances seem to be in either yards or metres, (probably metres). You can verify this by flying above a ship and comparing your altitude with the vertical distance to the ship, and also by looking behind you on the runway at your wingmen before take-off. It's fairly easy on the runway to judge distance if you know the dimensions of the aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by RWILLS View Post
    The distances seem to be in either yards or metres, (probably metres). You can verify this by flying above a ship and comparing your altitude with the vertical distance to the ship, and also by looking behind you on the runway at your wingmen before take-off. It's fairly easy on the runway to judge distance if you know the dimensions of the aircraft.
    RWILLS: I did just that, years ago with a stationary carrier. I set my auto pilot to 1 mile plus the height of the flight deck and flew over the ship. the range to the ship was 1 mile in meters (I forget the exact figures above but the results were obvious.).

In another test, sitting flight deck of a carrier in a 1% B-25H, next to several others, with our collision bubbles shrunken down to just inside our wingtips, I took some screenshots. With the wingspan of a B-25H = 67 ft 7 in (20.60 m), and the distance is measured "center of mass" to "center of mass", looking at it below, I would surmise that the distance between planes is also in meters or yards, not feet. ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SW on deck08.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Yes, my bad, I should've written yards for horizontal distances, feet is for altitude only.

Mission Builder gives distances in miles (to 1 decimal place). (not nautical miles, which would make more sense given aircraft speeds are displayed in knots...)

A curious mixture of units

It does get confusing. I remember Rami's post about the Max altitude of an aircraft in the DP file listing, reminding everyone that this number was in meters. It seems the CFS2 engine uses different units of measurement for different purposes. But this begs the question...how did the design team(s) ever get the sim to work in the first place. With one team using meters, another using feet another using yards...

But the final concensus on my original question is that distance to aircraft/ships with tags seems to be yards. This will make it easier to use the gun harmonizing utility. It also goes to show that even with a 27" flatscreen as a monitor set at HD with 1990 resolution it is still hard with this older sim to ID aircraft without tags. But even with this limited graphics ability, as a stand alone sim, CFS2 is still the best as far as it's ability to create missions, campaigns, aircraft, ships ect.... I was considering going to DCS or IL2 Cliffs of Dover but they do not have the freedom to create new things that our beloved old sim still has.

Reply...

486_Col_Wolf,

It is maddeningly inconsistent, yes.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 1