Now I finally know...

Thread: Now I finally know...

Now I finally know...

... why I spent so much on my flight rig! I've been enjoying gorgeous graphics with frames in the 30-40 range for the most part. My anti-aliasing was set to DLAA because DLSS wasn't listed. But I just did a little digging and discovered my RTX 3070 is supposed to support DLSS. Then I looked at my driver version compared to what's current, and realized I was WAY behind. I updated the driver in the GeForce Experience app to the latest Studio version, then relaunched the sim. I went to the graphics options, and found DLSS now available. I left the next option set to Auto and then set up a flight. I loaded up with the Islander at PHNL with real weather that includes some fairly dense cloud cover. (I already have clouds set to ultra.) I looked up to the top left corner where I keep the GeForce Experience overlay's frame count running. I'm still looking for my jaw that hit the floor and bounce under something! The frame counter was running 75-80 regardless of where I looked! Time to go have some fun!!!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Awesome! MSFS is such a more immersive experience when you're seeing frame rates north of 60 vs in the 20-30 range. Welcome to the future!

And yeah, it's always good to keep Nvidia drivers up to date within the past few versions, at least.

How many years after launch was it before you saw those kind of frame rates in FSX?

Despite the bugs that their still ironing out Asobo did a fantastic job IMO
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

About DLSS, I advise to update it manually. Now its the DLSS 3.1.1 in the net for all NV GPU but sim has DLSS from … October’22! From this time few updates was released. I recived few fps more with new one and better picture with less ghosting effect.

Useful links:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/
    https://www.guidingtech.com/how-to-a...er-on-windows/ (I have MS store version).
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

You can also get an 8 to 10% boost in MSFS by disabling virtualization-based security.

Here's an article that shows MSFS is the title that gets the most benefit from the switch:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/wi...mance-rtx-4090

And directions on how to turn it off:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/...vbs-windows-11

Note that if you have a rig that you use primarily as a flight sim rig, turning off VBS probably makes sense as it's a pretty big performance boost. But if you have important files on your PC, use it for finances, etc., maybe just accept the perf hit to get the extra malware protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    How many years after launch was it before you saw those kind of frame rates in FSX?
    The answer to that would be never, since the last sim I flew before this one was FS9!

As for security, yeah, I access my bank account and occasionally a work page, so security stays in place.

I just did one more quick test before bed. Weather in Hawaii is still pretty low, but even with Ultra clouds, I'm getting about double what I was before on frames. And as for the interior shot, SWS says that the standby instrument on the far left can be a frame hog, and to "pop" the 3 amp breaker on the bottom row to disable it. I'm getting the same frames with or without it - and they're more than double what I would have gotten with the exact same shot yesterday. I took these shots with our old pal FSScreen to capture the framerate overlay, then converted them to png with zero compression before uploading to Flickr.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Also, on a side note, the updated drivers even improve the main Windows GUI elements. Not only does the sim look better, but the rest of Windows is sharper than ever with no changes to the monitor. Why didn't I think to do this sooner??? I can't really fault them, but don't trust your builder to put the latest drivers in for you. My guess is that the guys at Intrex just went with whatever was in the latest image used to install Windows before delivery.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Also, on a side note, the updated drivers even improve the main Windows GUI elements. Not only does the sim look better, but the rest of Windows is sharper than ever with no changes to the monitor. Why didn't I think to do this sooner??? I can't really fault them, but don't trust your builder to put the latest drivers in for you. My guess is that the guys at Intrex just went with whatever was in the latest image used to install Windows before delivery.
    This is why I love the Geforce Experience app. Yes, it consumes some additional resources but not enough for me to ever want to disable it. Having one less bit of software I have to keep tabs on it is worth it to me. Plus, I actually really like NVIDIA Freestyle and Ansel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Doesn't GeForce Experience automatically notify you of when there is a new driver available?? I just got the notification yesterday actually for a new driver for my RTX 2060.

I have notifications checked on, but it might be that none were released during the time I've had the box to trigger one - not sure.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Tom,

Please, how do you get the framerates to display like that?

Cees

It's part of the GeForce Experience app's overlay function. If you have an Nvidia card, that app is a good companion. The app itself is good to use for driver updates, and the overlay has several functions, including live streaming. The performance part of the overlay will show a lot more too, but I just use the frame display. Most of my other screenshots actually have the overlay running too, but the GeForce Experience built-in screenshooter only captures the running game, not the overlay. To capture that, I go back to the old-school FSScreen to get the shot, then convert the bitmap to jpg with Gimp before uploading. My only gripe is that I can't find a way to change the color of the frame display.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Great! Thank you! I use the GeForce Experience app!

Cees

Members who have read this thread: 1