Access Problems

Thread: Access Problems

Access Problems

Is anyone else having this trouble?

The past couple days, when I try to access the New Uploads page from anywhere but the home page I get a warning page from Norton Security:

Dangerous Webpage Blocked
    You attempted to access:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s.php?catid=-1
    This is a known dangerous webpage. It is highly recommended that you do NOT visit this page.

When I tried to access the library directly I got:

Mick, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I logged out and back in and could get to the library, but Norton still tried to block access from any page but the home page.

Yesterday or the day before I clicked the link to See Norton's Full report and it said that this site has been checked out and found to be safe. So then I sent in a report to Norton describing the problem, and got a reply saying that they stand by their determination. When I wrote back asking why their program is trying to block my access to a site they have determined to be safe they didn't answer.

Pretty strange! I wonder if I'm the only one running into this.

Can't speak for anybody else but I'm having no problems, possibly a Norton thing Mick? Defender did a similar thing a few months back, took them 24 hours to get it sorted .... well, 25 hours as their tech staff spent the first hour vehemently denying anything was wrong. It still gives false positives with some installers, pain in the wotsit constantly having to set exceptions & then redownload the file they've removed.
    Andy

Mick,

I haven't heard or seen anyone else with similar problems recently. I had a quick look at your userid, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

It doesn't really sound like a problem which has anything to do with your cache, but perhaps emptying your cache might be a good start to eliminate this problem.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Mick,
    I haven't heard or seen anyone else with similar problems recently. I had a quick look at your userid, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
    It doesn't really sound like a problem which has anything to do with your cache, but perhaps emptying your cache might be a good start to eliminate this problem.
    Cheers,
    Huub
    Thanks Huub. Good idea. I'll try that. I'm sure it's a Norton thing. I guess it's possible that a Norton update will inform my Norton that the site has been determined safe and not to try to block it anymore. Symantic clearly knows that the site is safe so it just needs to let users' systems know that.

Norton has found ways to annoy me a couple times in the past, but not often, and in all the years I've used it I've never had a virus or any kind of malware or breach so that keeps me a loyal customer. Also, unlike some AV programs I've read about, Norton is friendly towards FlightSim. Once long ago it decided that pre-HTML FlightSim gauges were all unknown and therefore dangerous excecutables and quarantined them. I had to unquarantine them one at a time. Tedious and annoying, but there was a simple, permanent fix - I just excluded my FS drive and my Hangar drive from Norton scans.

Actually, Norton may have already fixed the problem. Just now I followed the library link from a few different pages just now and got no warnings or attempted blocks.

Members who have read this thread: 1