Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    @ ak416,

I went through your links to the flightsim zendesk:

Here we go :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (259).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	90179 now I'm going into that Windows Power Shell, hey no more scarier than CHKDSK /r heh? I type in those (2) commands like they said to do. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (261).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	90180 nutt-N happened, move on down to the next suggestion:

cleanmgr.exe Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (263).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	90181 and Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (265).jpg 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	90182 and let it do its thing Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (266).jpg 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	90183 ...Nut-N, restart MSFS .... same darn thing: hang up.

Now I move down to the next suggestion: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (267).jpg 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	90184

Now this is all together too much for some to do to get my MSFS to work, as it has been working fine except for a couple of hiccups here and there.

I did it anyway... I had to created a second Microsoft account to redownload my PMDG 737-800 as per there so-called support forum. That was another mess I had to put up with, but it worked.

So, I went to Donald Duck's account (yes you heard it correctly) had to scrummage around to find all the passwords and stuff.

Went to the Microsoft Store / XBox / Gaming Services stuff & I let Donald Duck re-installed MSFS over the top of the one already on my C: drive .... Grrrrrrrrrrr those screenshots are on Donald Duck's account ... Nope-nodda-zip, same thing: Hung after about 6 GB installed.

@ Priller, My MSFS has never been listed as a program in the control panel Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (268).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	262.4 KB 
ID:	90185 and I had always though that as weird. I scrolled down to the "M's" and the whole control panel programs for that matter.

I've always (X 5 now) uninstalled MSFS by using the MSFS app.

I'm exhausted with these proceedings, as Gen. MacArthur said ... " These proceeding are closed." for a little while at least my head hurts.

I'm gonna d/l DCS tomorrow and see if it will install onto that D: drive

Y'all are a great bunch of guys! If y'all come to Birmingdamnham, Aladamnbama the beer & whiskey is on me.

- Don

Hi Don,

I was just eyeballing your screenshot from the control panel and I noticed that you still had at least one MSFS addon installed there.

Now I'm just thinking about past experiences with legacy sims, but I distinctly remember that reinstalling FSX could cause headaches if you didn't uninstall the addons too even if FSX was cleanly uninstalled. You had to uninstall all of them too. Maybe, just maybe, that is what is happening here too.

I will mention though, I'm a Steam MSFS user. Things might be completely different with the M$ store version.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Don, take a look at this over at the flightsimulator.com forums: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...e-users/581763
    It might be worth checking the firmware version of your nvme drive even if you're not using this make or model.

@ Priller & tiger1962,

I came by the Forum around 12:30 this afternoon and read y'alls suggestions, thanks.

Priller, I thought we had a winner with your suggestion at uninstalling that MSFS Visual Docking Guidance System Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (272).jpg 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	90198

I completely uninstalled MSFS again (I think this is #4 or #5 times) and I reset those XblGrts prefix permissions again, just in case, as tiger1962 described.

MSFS began to install to the C: drive and it was really flying (new faster d/l speeds thanks to Spectrum). It got up to about 32% of the 122+ GB and it promptly hung up again.

Now I go back to the Control Panel and uninstall everything that I assume has a tentacle threading its way back to MSFS. ===>>> Aerosoft One Desktop App, Contrail Desktop App, ORBX Desktop App, FlyByWire installer, FSDreamteam, PMDG, ...all of it.

Nope X 2 more attempts.

@ tiger196, I do not have that brand NVMe drive, I have Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (279).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	90199 a 1 TB for my C: drive and Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (278).jpg 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	90200 for my D: drive.

... BTW I installed DCS onto the D: drive early this morning, all 440+ GB (59 modules) and it is flying great with the old MS Sidewinder FFB 2 joystick.

Thanks again fellas!

- Don

I'm Back In Business, Boys !

Last night I d/l Intel Network Connection Drivers,

Name:	Screenshot (283)Intel Network Connections Drivers.jpg 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	90209 thinking that may help =====>>>> NOPE!

My wife was looking on her iPhone and found an article where someone said that they could only play MSFS if they were on Wi-Fi and not hooked to the cable coming out of the wall. I promptly said ... BULL! Coming out of the wall is always better.

Now that got me thinking about our new Spectrum ISP.

I had noticed a few times that during these multiple reinstall attempts that MSFS was still trying to install on the next attempt when I had to hit the PC's reset button when it would hang up on the "Checking for Updates" screen.

This time after hitting that reset button because the PC had hung up, I said let's give that a try. DO NOT reconnect the
    Wi-Fi after restarting the PC, (exactly opposite of what he did).

I'll be darned, it was off to the races!

MSFS installed with my Wi-Fi not runnung

Name:	Screenshot (281)WiFi NOT RUNNIG.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	90210

What did the man say, "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." ~ Arthur Conan Doyle

... beats me

Thanks fellas,

- Don

Now that is great news!

Enjoy!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Well done Don! I hope you haven't worn out your SSD drives with all that re-formatting, lol!

Not so fast, young whipper snapper!

I installed a lot of my "Content Manager" items last night. I did a couple of flights doing procedural approaches with those new AAU1 packages that were applied to various Garmin G3000/5000 units.

This morning I installed 67 more via the "Content Manager" .... how do I know it was 67 .... MSFS hung up again & crashed on the "Checking for Updates" screen!

The boss-of-me found with her iPhone: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0956 8 steps for checking for updates.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	90214 8 steps to do to get past the "Checking for Updates" screen. I believe Tom had mentioned this in one of his earlier posts on pg. # 1 of this thread.

I bucked up against this because I had just installed them... I had a tantrum that was the envy of all the worlds' 2 y.o. brats

Well, I did it anyway and this time I only installed the 12 Word Updates today... don't get greedy I say, just install a few each day.

So far, I've had 3 flights today with no CTD's or any hang ups!

Thanks,

_ Don

Members who have read this thread: 1