Boeing B-314 "The Clipper" released!

Thread: Boeing B-314 "The Clipper" released!

Hybrid View

Boeing B-314 "The Clipper" released!

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm waiting for the first opinions, I have something to fly now, some extras came out recently, the MiG-15bis in the hangar is not even open yet and here's something that I HAVE TO HAVE again! Just WOW.

I'm asking for feedback because I heard that someone other than P3Dv5 was responsible for porting of this model to MSFS. Supposedly.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm finishing up some 3D modeling work (It's a submarine, shouldn't take long!) and then I'll take it out for some wet pattern work
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Magnificent screenshot for one thing !

I am so close to biting on this -- I had the FSX version way back when -- but I'm going to hold out for impressions because the description says some cockpit features are still under construction. And apparently this is from a different dev than the P3D release. (Not that that's necessarily a negative, it's just an unknown.)

[EDIT: I am weak. Downloading now.]

Andy (Stearmandriver) and I have been waiting for this for a LOOOONNNNNNGGGGG time. The VC is underwhelming and I spend most of my time there. Will wait for reviews (and hopefully some texture upgrades)... fingers x'ed! On the site it says "over time will be developed to study level"....

C

Okay, flew it for like 30 minutes, first impressions of the 314 (haven't tried the A model yet):
    -Not sure why but trying to rotate from the water can lead to some weird "tailstrike" behaviour where it slaps the nose back down a few times, this was at 106% MTOW with full tanks so I'll try again with less gas and see what happens
    -RPM Gauges on the front cluster are connected to the left two engines, though 99% of the time you're synched up anyway, just an annoyance.
    -The aircraft feels a little too responsive compared to the P3D version, I kind of got used to leading turns with aileron and using the rudders to change heading. This one is pretty snappy comparatively.
    -Propeller hubs with engines running appear to split in half, it looks like Pilot's doesn't have the prop disc technology yet, still 2D.
    -probably pretty close to the real thing, water rudder is trash and doesn't really work, easier to use differential thrust.

All that said, it flies alright, it looks good, it's missing some of the more mundane parts of the P3D version, example given, the water gauge on the back wall is INOP, no way to drain the water. You can't set the alternators yourself and the cold start has both fuel pumps wide open. There's other things but in all I like it a lot, and MSFS is a great platform for it. Honestly, I'd say its not quite worth the 30 bucks, but pretty close right now, and it should only get better from here.

As a PS to cavaricooper, I'm not sure what part of the VC you take issue with, it looks alright to me?
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    As a PS to cavaricooper, I'm not sure what part of the VC you take issue with, it looks alright to me?
    Maybe this? I noticed it at the very beginning but maybe final version is ok, or its a play of lights?

https://i.imgur.com/8HF82bQ.jpg

My issue with the VC is that hideous green carpet everywhere and the green walls. The shot I found of a Pan Am Clipper circa 1939 had a nice tasteful tan cockpit wall and blue carpeting.

SH247, the problem rotating is due to the fuel mixture being set at lean at takeoff. Had the same problem, particularly with the 314A. Lift your left armrest, and move the fuel mixture lever to rich. Now I can get the 314A into the air with a 70% fuel load. I haven't flown the old version since FSX days, but the flight model feels good to me once you get the engines set up right.

I posted a bunch of screenshots and some impressions to the official forum. Sorry, I'd replicate here, but vBulletin's screenshot linking is just painful to use. Check out the posts if you want to see the full batch:

Post 1 with impressions
    Post 2 with some cabin shots and a comparison of the ugly green to a real 314 cockpit color scheme

A few shots:

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    My issue with the VC is that hideous green carpet everywhere and the green walls. The shot I found of a Pan Am Clipper circa 1939 had a nice tasteful tan cockpit wall and blue carpeting. SH247, the problem rotating is due to the fuel mixture being set at lean at takeoff. Had the same problem, particularly with the 314A. Lift your left armrest, and move the fuel mixture lever to rich. Now I can get the 314A into the air with a 70% fuel load. I haven't flown the old version since FSX days, but the flight model feels good to me once you get the engines set up right.I posted a bunch of screenshots and some impressions to the official forum. Sorry, I'd replicate here, but vBulletin's screenshot linking is just painful to use. Check out the posts if you want to see the full batch: Post 1 with impressionsPost 2 with some cabin shots and a comparison of the ugly green to a real 314 cockpit color scheme
    That green seems to be taken from color cutaway drawings of the 314. As it matches the 60s shag carpet in my house, I quite like it. -d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Members who have read this thread: 2