A-7 turbine blade cleaning

Thread: A-7 turbine blade cleaning

A-7 turbine blade cleaning

Before I joined the Navy, way back in 1972, NAVAIR maintenance procedures for cleaning A-7 turbine blades, was to spray pulverized (powdered) walnut shells into the intake. The intake cover screens had a hole on the face for connection of a hose..... The process was halted before I joined, but I was aware of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1233878.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	425.8 KB 
ID:	90021

Yep, I have heard of that too! You joined in '72 and I got out in '72......youngster!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Yep, I have heard of that too! You joined in '72 and I got out in '72......youngster!
    You are both youngsters!

This was the era of introducing low bypass turbofan engines; the process was actually for cleaning compressor blades, not turbine blades, but a pretty clumsy approach. I imagine it was just too hard and the Navy found some better way or it was not all that necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    You are both youngsters!

This was the era of introducing low bypass turbofan engines; the process was actually for cleaning compressor blades, not turbine blades, but a pretty clumsy approach. I imagine it was just too hard and the Navy found some better way or it was not all that necessary.

Thank you for the clarification, Mike. As for being a "youngster", my bathroom mirror and my body tells a different story 😏! Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Thank you for the clarification, Mike. As for being a "youngster", my bathroom mirror and my body tells a different story ! Pete
    Unfortunately for me Chief, I turned 80 in January - I only see a faint glow in my mirror -- unless I use my glasses.

Members who have read this thread: 0