OT: Hollywood makes me crazy. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Hollywood makes me crazy.

being a ductman, everytime i see someone climbing through the ductwork in a movie my wife and step kids tell me "don't say it"

because i ignore them, every single time, and point out all the things that would never be like that in real life. ever notice that the inside never has any screws or jagged edges? it's always shiny and clean? no dirt? the elbows never have turning vanes, or splitters? you never see motor operated dampers, spray humidifiers, smoke detectors, fire dampers, etc.

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by chinookmark View Post
    and the final battle in Behind Enemy Lines, with the two Hueys hovering out in the open taking on the entire Serbian army. That stuff is what gets me.
    But I love that scene, LOL :Banane09:

Yep, love heli scenes when they change choppers or use fake ones, like the fake Hind in Rambo

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    being a ductman, everytime i see someone climbing through the ductwork in a movie my wife and step kids tell me "don't say it"

because i ignore them, every single time, and point out all the things that would never be like that in real life. ever notice that the inside never has any screws or jagged edges? it's always shiny and clean? no dirt? the elbows never have turning vanes, or splitters? you never see motor operated dampers, spray humidifiers, smoke detectors, fire dampers, etc.
    I also enjoy how much room there is inside those ducts - and how each and every one can support the weight of several men and their battle gear.

Charter Member 2015
    Almost forgot this one.......Executive Decision,

[YOUTUBE]4Oeo-YbNAds[/YOUTUBE]
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

My most recent favorite was watching the NASA TV coverage of one of the Space Shuttle’s return to Earth. They do a good job, most of the time, so I was shocked to hear the narrator voice say: “Ok, the de-orbit burn was perfect, and entry interface will be in about 30 minutes; that’s when the Shuttle will begin to heat up as it begins to feel the effects of Earth’s gravity.”
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    I thought maybe he just miss-spoke, and just swapped the word “atmosphere” with “gravity” in all the excitement. But as atmospheric entry interface came closer and closer, he said it again, twice!
    <o></o>
    I’ve watched three Shuttle returns now on NASA TV, and the narrator voice did not make that mistake again. Somebody must have smacked him upside the head with a science book or something.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

My wife and I were watching one of those "hate it when this happens" type show the other night. The particular segment was about a crash on a carrier.

The first shots were of a F-9 Panther hitting the round down. Then, as the pilot began ejection from his aircraft, it became a Tornado, and in the remaining shots, it turned into a Skyray. Amazing transformation. We need an aircraft to be able to do that!

NC

chinookmark
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    ....and ain't it amazing when a aircraft is diving it sounds like a Stuka dive bomber............doesn't matter whether it piston,turboprop, or jet powered :faint:
    And they always shake!

chinookmark
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Almost forgot this one.......Executive Decision,

[youtube]4Oeo-YbNAds[/youtube]
    The F-117 was so top secret that we didn't even know it had a passenger compartment. Good thing they thought to put that upward extending transfer tube!

Speaking of bombs ... which wire do I cut on my alarm clock to make it count faster?

Charter Member 2011
    i hate the fact that every car that crashes goes up into a massive fireball, or the never ending clips, or the total disrecard for anything historical, o and i hate the fact they still use that tom cruise thing
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Or that ridiculous Harrier scene in True Lies
    I'm sorry but, taken in the context of the film I find it ridiculous that anyone can have a problem with it. It's a comedy for crying out loud, a million other things happen in it that would never happen in "real life".
    Swa se šeodkyning žeawum lyfde

Quote Originally Posted by chinookmark View Post

Speaking of bombs ... which wire do I cut on my alarm clock to make it count faster?

the red one!!! no wait!! green! yes! no! hold on blue, im 47% sure it's the blue one!

And why would any self-respecting bomb maker not just use all black wires? :gossip:

Didn't quite escape.
    Which appalling film was it that had escape pods on Air Force One and where he landed it on a the airstrip he was learning to fly a Cessna from?

That was "Executive Decision" or something equally muppetous.

I'm very close to throwing up everytime I see that spanish abomniation of a 109 disguised as an "Emil" in a movie about WW2.

Or whatever tank depicting Tigers/Panthers or any other german tank.

But then again, it's all Hollywood. Shut off your brain and throw everything over board you know about warfare and aviation.

P.S: I've been told that the russian war opus "Liberation" seems to be very accurate in terms of equipment on both sides.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151852/

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    Which appalling film was it that had escape pods on Air Force One
    "Air Force One". LoL. :d

Actually, I can forgive movie makers for their WWII transgressions where something like a 109 is concerned. Prior to the advent of high-grade CGI, I imagine it was damn near impossible to round up much in the way of original, accurate, flying stock. In a weird twist, now that computer-generated animation has reached such a high quality level we should start seeing more accurate depictions.

Charter Member 2011
    yea same here, after all the only things thats different between a 109 and a bouchon is the nose, i'd rather have them and spits dogfighting than some silly cgi where the planes can turn on a penny
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

A little OT but I hate those canned sound effects in those helicopter filmed car chases. Especially Americas police chases with Sheriff John Bunnell.
    Tires screechng on every turn,5 mph,screech,on a dirt road,screech.All the while being Filmed from 1/2 mile away from a heli.They have like 3 crash sounds, boom ,bang,smash.
    The same news reporter who can see from that distance in a shaky heli that the driver has a gun on his lap. And can magically know the guys personal bio,criminal background and intent all while on the fly.
    Still I cannot take my eyes off a good car chase.

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    yea same here, after all the only things thats different between a 109 and a bouchon is the nose, i'd rather have them and spits dogfighting than some silly cgi where the planes can turn on a penny
    CGI over inaccurate real depictions. Tenfold!

My two 'pet peeve' movies involving aviation--these are the worst offenders out of many very bad Hollywood aviation disasters:

Die Hard II:
    Widebody 707 (or 720) that is nearly empty of fuel, crashes when the terrists adjust the 'glideslope angle'. The aircraft explodes like a fully laden KC135 tanker--or like the NASA footage of the 720 crash at Edwards.

I also learned that a 747 uses a high-octane gasoline/rocket fuel mixture, as when our hero lights a stream of leaking fuel with his Zippo which causes the Jumbo, which has already taken flight, to explode like the Challenger.

I didn't realise that the C-123 was equipped with ejection seats.

Con Air:
    Another type-mismatch between the interior (huge--almost C-5 sized) of the C-123 and the exterior.

We have a hostile aircraft approaching Las Vegas. I have an idea: let's scramble the SLOWEST and most obsolete aircraft available in the militairy's inventory to chase it.

There is a tunnel on the Las Vegas Strip?

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    God.....the list of aviation stupidity in Hollyweird movies is endless!

Mud et al, all I can say is consider the source.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Mud et al, all I can say is consider the source.
    blimy whats this, the 1 year aniversary of the thread?

a new one, anyone else notice that the corsairs in "the pacific" where dropping napalm with their gear down? :mixedsmi:

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    blimy whats this, the 1 year aniversary of the thread?

a new one, anyone else notice that the corsairs in "the pacific" where dropping napalm with their gear down? :mixedsmi:
    I believe the F4U used to have the capability to partially extend its landing gear to use as dive brakes.
    Swa se šeodkyning žeawum lyfde

Don't even get me started on this, has anyone seen Stealth, apparently G force does not exist in there world, such an appauling film among many other, and if I see just one more M47 Patton being shown as a German Tiger I'm going to blow my own brains out!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

oh my pet peeve are weapons and equipment in movies... but yes Tanks do sometimes surprise you a bit, aircraft even worse can be watching a film, aircraft comes on screen i sit up and get told "Don't even think about it..." needless to say i continue "ok what year is this supposed to be set?...1940, then why are there FW190's? they didn't appear till 1941...", other things as well like round size in firearms... TV this happens, take mythbusters' James bond special, Kari has a S&W99, which resembles a Walther P99, it is called on the show "....Bonds gun.."
    Bond Uses a P99, which on another note is not standard issue to British security services... but this S&W99 is chambered for .40S&W...errrr ok... call it bonds gun. (Bond carries a P99 chambered in 9mm)...

i think i need to stop noticing these things....