small japanese barge

Thread: small japanese barge

small japanese barge

Small Japanese steel barge based on photos/drawings - about 21' long. It's a static bit of scenery at the moment as I don't seem to have options for exporting from Gmax as either a ship or a vehicle (?). It will "sink" though. Would be nice to be able to make it into a vehicle so that it can move around and still sink like a ship, but without taking up space in the ship folder?small_barge.zip

CFS2 ships are .mdl files like aircraft. Have to export it as FS04 or FS02 .mdl and use MDLC to convert the model to CFS2 .mdl
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Speaking along the same line of thought: Some months back, stuart277 made a Wehrmacht "Hummel" SP, 150mm gun/howitzer on my request to upload with my campaign. It, for probably the same reasons is a ship and loads into my SHIPS folder. It looks great! Perhaps someone can convert it into a vehicle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hummel.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Speaking along the same line of thought: Some months back, stuart277 made a Wehrmacht "Hummel" SP, 150mm gun/howitzer on my request to upload with my campaign. It, for probably the same reasons is a ship and loads into my SHIPS folder. It looks great! Perhaps someone can convert it into a vehicle?

I also like "Hummel" SP, 150mm gun/howitzer so I slightly changed the texture.
    I hope you enjoy it .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here you go - Stuart's Hummel with Fani's texture. Configured as a vehicle bgl & using a renamed Stug DP file.
    Quick & dirty, so no damage/destroyed mdl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stu277_Hummel_as_veh.jpg  

Apologies to RWills for hijacking this thread.

To bring it back on track, to create a vehicle you export as a scenery bgl from GMax, the rest is configuring the DP file to recognise the object as a vehicle.

This list might be useful. I made it from an old SOH post by Capt Kurt. It describes all the different object families...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Apologies to RWills for hijacking this thread.

To bring it back on track, to create a vehicle you export as a scenery bgl from GMax, the rest is configuring the DP file to recognise the object as a vehicle.

This list might be useful. I made it from an old SOH post by Capt Kurt. It describes all the different object families...

Yes, I did try that initially and everything seemed ok as I set things up in Mission Builder, but then either the mission wouldn't load, or if it did then the vehicle wouldn't move. After several attempts, and hunting around for information I'm unsure as to whether I should have some additional export options from Gmax? I've installed Gmax and then added on some Gamepacks, and am using the "CFS2_Exploting_Objs_Using_FS2002" to create the final CFS2 scenery. I'll have a fresh look but it seems to me that there is something, other than the dp file, that is preventing the vehicle from moving. - I did check some sca files that all had a 515 type value for vehicles (where it is 0 when I manage to create scenery). That was the only obvious difference that I could see.

I do like the idea of defining a boat as a vehicle to free up space in the ship folder.

Vehicles and buildings are the same when it comes to model .bgl files.

What makes vehicle or building in CFS2 is the DP settings that tell MB to use the object as vehicle. You can edit the DP of buildings and make the game think it is a vehicle and will move like a vehicle.

I'm finding though that although Mission Builder recognises the object as a vehicle after the dp file has been changed, that the vehicle just remains static and refuses to move from it's starting position.

Dose it have speed set the the waypoints?

Yes, - everything appears to be ok, with speed set. I've tried this with a couple of existing static scenery models and they do exactly the same - everything seems fine in Mission Builder, with it being recognised as a vehicle, I can set the waypoints with speed, but when playing the mission, the "vehicle" just sits there as a static model. "Normal" vehicles are moving around fine.

The BGL/model has no effect on movement in game the vehicle? (DP BGL textures)

Infrastructure ships can be sunk, but don't occupy the SHIPS folder, having a bgl model instead.

BUT

They don't move

They can't be spawned during a mission.

Vehicle objects bgls can be made to look like Ships

BUT

I don't think you can get them to use the "SINK" damage effects and actually sink

and of course on the TAC DISPLAY they will only show up as ground units, not ships.

HOWEVER

they can be spawned during missions

and they will move around

All that said I agree, it's useful, particularly for small craft, to make use of the "VEH" category to free up those limited Ship model slots, & perhaps has the added effect also of focusing the Player (& AI attackers) on larger target vess..els instead of clogging up the Tac Display "radar plot" with small harbour craft...

Quote Originally Posted by RWILLS View Post
    Yes, - everything appears to be ok, with speed set. I've tried this with a couple of existing static scenery models and they do exactly the same - everything seems fine in Mission Builder, with it being recognised as a vehicle, I can set the waypoints with speed, but when playing the mission, the "vehicle" just sits there as a static model. "Normal" vehicles are moving around fine.
    Things to check:

You're selecting a vehicle in MB (not Infrastructure/vehicle)

The bgl is in the SCENEDB/veh/scenery folder (not SCENEDB/INF/scenery)

The DP file for the vehicle has ALL the following entries in it's [MISC DATA] section:

Min_speed
    Cruise_speed
    Max_speed

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Things to check:

You're selecting a vehicle in MB (not Infrastructure/vehicle)

The bgl is in the SCENEDB/veh/scenery folder (not SCENEDB/INF/scenery)

The DP file for the vehicle has ALL the following entries in it's [MISC DATA] section:

Min_speed
    Cruise_speed
    Max_speed

Yes, all of the above and still no movement!

Members who have read this thread: 0