MdlMat Question

Thread: MdlMat Question

MdlMat Question

I've recently learned how to make a model glossy with MdlMat, but now I need to make a model reflective.

Can that be done with MdlMat? If so, how is it done?

In the past I used Shiny but in its present state of not quite finished I can't use Shiny on this computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I've recently learned how to make a model glossy with MdlMat, but now I need to make a model reflective.

Can that be done with MdlMat? If so, how is it done?

In the past I used Shiny but in its present state of not quite finished I can't use Shiny on this computer.
    Hi Mick,

MdlMat allows only material properties adjustment (LOD1 - XXXXX)
    Its use is mainly to set ambient, specular level and speculiarity. Also to adjust (or add) transparency on some parts, like canopies.

I now use MDLC with DOS "emulator" to turn my mds into reflective ones (it works on W10)
    Got some precious help from Allen to have it set & working.

Best
    L'iguane

Icon19

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not familiar with MDLC. If a DOS emulator is required, would that be a virtual DOS like I had on my old computer, built into Win7pro? It also had some sort of virtual DOS.

I I could run Shiny, a Windows interface for Shine, a DOS program, which I believe was an adaptation of MDLC.

I have have an XP virtual machine that I will have installed when my friend who is doing the build of this almost finished computer, but one of the not yet finished bits is getting that installed. My friend who as been doing the work is presently not available to finish up the project. He's overwhelmed with family and medical issues and since this rig is functional in most ways I don't want to hurry him to complete my project.

I suppose I should just be patient and wait for my system to be complete. Once that's done I should be able to do all that I need to do.

MK_MDLC is just a windows front end user interface. Setting typed into MK_MDLC was put into the mdlc.ini and when you clicked "Start Conversion" MK_MDLC would copy the model you want to convert into the folder (mk_mdlc or mk_mdlc_v2 normally) and call it "CONVERT.MD" than MDLC.exe would start and do the edits using the "CONVERT.MD" file but was hidden thanks to the "Hide Dos MDLC window option".

MDLC is DOS command line program that dose all of the work but can't be ran on Window 7 and above natively.

Without the MK_MDLC source code or decompile of MK_MDLC there is no way to make MK_MDLC output commands to start a DOS emulator like DosBox than have the DOS emulator start MDLC and run.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Um.... That's largely Greek to me, but I appreciate the explanation. I guess the takeaway is that I have to wait until I get my XP virtual machine installed and working. That's OK. I'll just have to be patient. I have plenty of elsewhat to do so there's no rush. David keeps me busy, and I have some other things on my to do list too. Like painting some skins I have reference material on for your Piper L-4, for one thing.

Lightbulb 16-bit emulator for 64-bit Winsows

I'm not familiar with those programs, but if the issue is that your desired program is 16-bit, and it won't run on Windows 10/11 (64-bit), then the solution (instead of DosBox) is to use OTVDM (winevdm). This 16-bit Windows (Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.0, 3.1, etc.) emulator is for running these programs on 64-bit Windows. Available from Github here:
    https://github.com/otya128/winevdm
    By the way, you may need to reinstall this every time there is a major Windows update - MS doesn't like you using old programs!
    Visit FSXMissionsHangar.com
    For Missions in FSX and P3D

Quote Originally Posted by lastivka View Post
    I'm not familiar with those programs, but if the issue is that your desired program is 16-bit, and it won't run on Windows 10/11 (64-bit), then the solution (instead of DosBox) is to use OTVDM (winevdm). This 16-bit Windows (Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.0, 3.1, etc.) emulator is for running these programs on 64-bit Windows. Available from Github here:
    https://github.com/otya128/winevdm
    By the way, you may need to reinstall this every time there is a major Windows update - MS doesn't like you using old programs!
    Thanks for the response.

I do have OTVDM and it allows me to run some old 16-bit programs. In this case it's not about running a 16-bit program. It's about running a DOS-based program in an operating system that won't run DOS programs.

At some point I intend to add an XP virtual machine to this rig and I'll be able to run every modeling-related program I've ever had. But that won't be for a while because my friend the computer tech, who is doing the work, is overwhelmed with family, house and medical troubles so since I have a functioning computer I'm not going to expect him to make time to add the final bells and whistles to this rig. Meamwhile I have plenty of projects to work on that don't require those DOS-bases programs.

I have Win10pro on this rig, and while the main reason I have it is that I test drove Win11 and decided that I would switch to Apple and if necessary abandon my hobby before I would own a Win11 computer. But a side benefit is that with Win11 as the current operating system, there won't be any more major updates to Win10.

I miss Win7pro! (weep, moan) But modern motherboards won't run it, despite much creative hacking to make it do that, so I had to move to Win10.

lastivka
    Tried otya128/winevdm/OTVDM years ago 2019. MDLC looks to be written in 16 bit DOS and not 16 bit Windows so otya128/winevdm/OTVDM don't work for it. MDLC isn't even seen by otya128/winevdm/OTVDM when you try to run MDLC. Also making otya128/winevdm/OTVDM run MDLC just give errors than otya128/winevdm/OTVDM crashes.

It really sucks as I had high hopes when I found otya128/winevdm/OTVDM but they crashed and burnned.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    lastivka
    Tried otya128/winevdm/OTVDM years ago 2019. MDLC looks to be written in 16 bit DOS and not 16 bit Windows so otya128/winevdm/OTVDM don't work for it. MDLC isn't even seen by otya128/winevdm/OTVDM when you try to run MDLC. Also making otya128/winevdm/OTVDM run MDLC just give errors than otya128/winevdm/OTVDM crashes.

It really sucks as I had high hopes when I found otya128/winevdm/OTVDM but they crashed and burnned.
    I heard about it from you and also had high hopes. But it has allowed me to run a few old non-FS programs, so it's worth having.

Icon21 DOSBox-X and Windows 10

As mentioned by L'Iguane, DosBox is the solution to using DOS programs in Windows 10. I use DOSBox-X, which can be obtained here: https://dosbox-x.com/
    You will need an extra file when using MDLC using DOSBox-X: "DPMI16BI.OVL", which you can download from here: https://github.com/keskival/turbo-pa...N/DPMI16BI.OVL

I tried using "Shine" under DOSBox-X and it does seem to work, though I cannot verify the outcome of the process on the models at present, as I don't have FS9 installed. "Shine" appeard to work by using MDLC and custom-made settings contained in a MDLC.INI file, so if you can used MDLC.EXE in DosBox under Windows 10, then you can use "Shine".

Here are basic instructions:
    1. Install DOSBox-X (look for the Windows 64-bit installer version)
    2. Follow the "Shiny" instructions for setting up the folder structure for "Shine" - eg. C:\shine
    3. Ignore the reg (registry) merging/installation instructions — this only works for earlier versions of Windows. Instead, make sure that the following line of code in the MDLC.INI in each folder has the correct path ie. the following line in each MDLC.INI should be either blank or point to its own folder for the path. For example in the "shine\reflect" folder the correct path in the line in MDLC.ini should be:
    Code:
    MdlcPath=C:/shine/reflect
    4. Similarly, check the path in each *.bat file in each folder to reflect the correct path for that particular folder. For example, in the folder "shine\reflect" the correct path in reflect.bat should be:
    Code:
    cd C:\shine\reflect\
    5. Open DOSBox-X and use the "mount" command at the z:\> prompt to mount the folder you need for the particular "shine" function — you will need to do this separately for each different function using the appropriate folder. So, to use the "reflection" function, use the command at the z:\> prompt:
    Code:
    mount c c:\shine\reflect
    6. Then use the command to apply reflection on your own particular MDL file. As an example for "reflection":
    Code:
    mdlc /r yourfile.mdl yourfil2.mdl
    This will result in your modified MDL file (with reflection).

Please verify that this works for you - I welcome comments/suggestions/improvements.

lastivka

I have already bundled DOSBox with MDLC as "DOSMdlc 2.0 (FS04/02 aircraft to CFS2 converter).zip" http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=25224

It has many batch files so you can run the most common task with little user input and all is explained in the DOS window. Install and Tutorial guides in 3 formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I have already bundled DOSBox with MDLC as "DOSMdlc 2.0 (FS04/02 aircraft to CFS2 converter).zip" http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=25224

It has many batch files so you can run the most common task with little user input and all is explained in the DOS window. Install and Tutorial guides in 3 formats.
    Thanks, Allen! I think Mick wanted to use "Shine" on Windows 10, so that is what I described above. But I see that you also have a .bat file for "shine", so I assume this is the same thing.

Cliff notes version of TheDOSBox Shine.bat and DOSBox_Shine.conf

TheDOSBox Shine.bat tells you to put the model you want to edit in the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder and name it "z.mdl" and how to edit the mdlc.ini file. Next opens it in notepad for you. After your done with mdlc.ini/notepad come back to the and the .bat will next run DOSBox using the DOSBox_Shine.conf. The .conf will tell DOSBox to mount "C:\DOSMdlc 2.0" and run "MDLC.exe /s Z.mdl" When done you should have a file named Z.MDS (the shine edited model) in the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder.

Many thanks Allen for the effort you put into preparing this comprehensive package.

Members who have read this thread: 0