DHC-4 Caribou
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DHC-4 Caribou

DHC-4 Caribou

Fresh thread, the new Caribou model came out earlier, very nice visuals and sounds, it handles very well. The STOL performance is excellent. It is $14.99US which is great for this model.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (7892).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	89923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (7886).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	89922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (7901).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	89924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (7875).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	332.2 KB 
ID:	89921

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Man, that vc is incredible! Thanks for the shots!

oh, that does look good. I wasn't really considering this until I saw those VC shots. May have to reconsider.

- dcc
    - -

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Fresh thread, the new Caribou model came out earlier, very nice visuals and sounds, it handles very well. The STOL performance is excellent. It is $14.99US which is great for this model.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (7892).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	89923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (7886).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	89922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (7901).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	89924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (7875).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	332.2 KB 
ID:	89921
    Does reverse prop thrust work?
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    Does reverse prop thrust work?
    T43
    Yes they do and very effectively! I noticed recently that Asobo has switched the way the reverse works, you hit the normal reverse function and it now unlocks the reverse gates and then you advance the throttles to get the physical effect of it. Personally I found nothing wrong with the old method. I take it that the new coding and way that each end user might use it may be a bit buggy but perhaps I am wrong or missing the proper method to go about it? BTW, I have yet to find a manual for this model in the normal location or on any site. I am hoping to dig deeper into the model ASAP.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Loved the DHC-4 since I was in Vietnam in 67-68. I flew on one first from Saigon to Vung Tau in the Mekong delta. When I first looked at it, I thought, geez, will that thing really fly? LOL
    It did, loaded to the hilt with cargo, troops, civilians and when we lifted off, she climbed at an unbelievable rate to avoid ground fire. That was exhilarating.

I have loved that aircraft ever since. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Loved the DHC-4 since I was in Vietnam in 67-68. I flew on one first from Saigon to Vung Tau in the Mekong delta. When I first looked at it, I thought, geez, will that thing really fly? LOL
    It did, loaded to the hilt with cargo, troops, civilians and when we lifted off, she climbed at an unbelievable rate to avoid ground fire. That was exhilarating.

Milton, great hear from you Sir! Thanks for sharing that story as well. My late father was based at Hurlburt Field in the early 60's and saw the Caribou for the first time which I believe belonged solely to the Army at the time (before the 1967-68 transfer to the USAF) but he told me there was a lot of CIA activity on the other Aux Fields north of Hurlburt. The base at the time had a lot of A-26 Invaders, A-1 Skyraiders, and C-123's but a lot of STOL aircraft began to show up for Eval by the Special Operations Wing. First time I ever saw a Caribou was in 1980 when the Golden Knights jumped into our local airport. I recall it taking off and circling to ribbon drop for wind check, it was lumbering so slow overhead like it couldn't get out of it's own way. lol Great days gone by!

This model is a superb hand flier which is a good thing as I can't find an autopilot (I don't think they had one) but once trimmed, it pretty much stays where you want it without too much input.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will visit Vietnam again !
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Darn, another plane to fly :-) Could not resist...

Hope there is/comes a repaintkit, some very nice and colorfull scheme were out there (also a lot civil operators to my surprise)

See: https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/D...HC-4%20Caribou

fun aircraft!

A4-624 006 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    fun aircraft!

A4-624 006 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    JK
    Will you be doing some liveries, & if so releasing them through ?? site, given the .to issues.
    T43

Uncle Milty!!!!! Great to hear from you here! Hope you’re well and enjoying the new Sim.

Carl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    ... but he told me there was a lot of CIA activity on the other Aux Fields north of Hurlburt. ....
    I once participated as a downed pilot in a joint exercise SAR mission out of there. I got to meet Spooks, Green Berets, and SEALS as they ran us through the SAR pipeline. The first time I ever saw a Glow Stick was two SEALS handing me off to a small boat pilot, who took me out to sea for extraction.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Video

If not seen watch the video, it looks spectacular..!

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    JK
    Will you be doing some liveries, & if so releasing them through ?? site, given the .to issues.
    T43
    yes, and we'll see

Screenshot (3866) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

So great to hear from you Milton! All the best to you sir.

Trying to download, but says " other pending", then it cancels. I'll have to try later I guess. Looks amazing, can't wait to fly it.

Does anybody knows the base container name for aircraft.cfg?

Working on C-GVYX of Air Inuit and Kenn Borek Air.

red 1981_3 by TiAr, auf Flickr

red 1981_2 by TiAr, auf Flickr

yellow 1980_1 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Thomas

Can't wait to see some Golden Knights liveries.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I see some modern GPS eqpt. in the center console. Is there any kind of autopilot functionality?
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

No AP, and it seems no default key is working.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I see some modern GPS eqpt. in the center console. Is there any kind of autopilot functionality?
    Nope
    I was told on another forum best at the moment is to use MSFS AI Pilot.
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    yes, and we'll see

by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    Are you going to take this Swedish one as a livery subject too perhaps, Jan Kees ? It looks really lovely with the bare metal and all.

Here's an elaborate generally very positive one hour test demo video by ITB over beautiful New Zealand : https://youtu.be/cNv2i2qHJcc
    (i bet once i'll sit in that cockpit in VR i'm going to either scream or faint or probabely both. What a beauty!)

Hello Milton !! Great to see you here my good friend ! Please stay, OK ?!

Jan

Members who have read this thread: 8