The Alps...did I miss something?

Thread: The Alps...did I miss something?

The Alps...did I miss something?

I'm curious as to what scenery everyone is using to make the Alps look like the Alps, snow covered rocky peaks ect, not a jungle mountain in Hawaii or just the field covered foothills around Munich.

COL....

....maybe not what you are looking for but didn't MW Graphics have something a looooooooong time ago ? I think that over in some of the later sites with Civ.Air there have been some banter about a Alps texs. Forget where as I figured it was beyond the engine caps. of CFS2

I did see in an old forum thread that Devildog used the Alps from FS2000. But I'm not sure where he got them or if they were modified for use in CFS2

Library Staff
    Martin Wright made mesh for the Swiss Alps back in 2000 but I think it was superseded by Rhumba's mesh.

Kdriver,

I'm Rhumbas mesh for my ETO. Does it negate the correct way the Alps should appear? If it does, can you suggest a mesh that is compatible with Rhumba's that will show the Alps as they should be?

Nope. Mesh is how bumpy the terrain is, not how it looks. To change how it looks, you need some landclass. This will then tell the sim which terrain bitmaps to display over the default.

So then what landclass is everyone using to display the Alps correctly? Or is everyone just seeing what I'm seeing?

Library Staff
    Like the village and meadows on the side of the Matterhorn and rivers running over the tops of mountains?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matterhorn.jpg  

Yes except no snow or ice.

Icon5

Hmmmm...that's global warming for you...

It may be that you used another set of ground tex, poss a summer version, and overwrote the winter or alpine tex, have a think.

Also I hope you have, and if not, do it, is have an untampered/unadded-to CFS2 install, so you have a vanilla reference version to always go back to to check things etc, very useful.

Cheers

Shessi

OK, OK...Someone needs to Gibbs slap me! Alps were there all along, I just need to fly further towards where the WHITE is on the map. Wait...I can hear the word "Dumbass" echo across the CFS2 forum as if it was echoing through the snow covered Alps!

CW,

LOL...where you are, you know what the Appalacians are like...we also have mountains like that in Europe....he he he...

And more like yodeling, when in the Alps.

Glad you found them and they hadn't melted!

Cheers

Shessi

Library Staff
    I turned off Sander de Cocq's EurW scenery which includes land class and got a better rendition of the Alps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matterhorn2.jpg  

Lightbulb

Kdriver,

What effect does turning that off that have on the rest of the ETO?

Library Staff
    If you turn off all four layers of the EurW scenery, you will lose roads and rivers as well as the coastline being altered. This would affect a lot of GSL scenery.

You could try turning off the EurW land class layer only, but I suspect there will be water where there was land and the beaches will look like sandbars off the coast.
    Last edited by kdriver; February 27th, 2023 at 14:53.

Think I'll just stick with the Alps as is LOL. I keep fretting about this but if we only had the source codes for CFS2 the talented people here could probably make the ETO look like IL2 Cliffs of Dover. Talk about realistic scenery!!

Members who have read this thread: 0