Changing T-6 sounds?

Thread: Changing T-6 sounds?

Changing T-6 sounds?

Does anyone know how to change the sounds for the T-6 in the Reno pack? I find the stock sounds abysmal. The only variation of engine sound inside the cockpit seems to be in overall volume. Neither prop changes nor throttle changes give a satisfactory change in engine note. BUT since there is no aircraft cfg in which to alias the sounds to something else, I am struggling to find a solution.

Thanks in advance for any workarounds

- Kenneth

Unlike the old days of FS9/X/P3D, there apparently is no easy way to drop in sounds or create them. Unfortunately there are a number of nice models in FS2020 that are ruined by less than great sound packs. They say this Wwise sound system is superior but I can hardly tell.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The new system has massive potential for great sounds, but if it's not done right, it can be... well... I'll be nice and stop here.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

It's actually quite easy to change out the sounds!

If there is a sound set that you like from FS2004/FSX/P3D, simply backup and then delete the existing sound folder you want to replace, and then insert the new sound set folder that you wish to use. At this point, however, you're not done! The final step, which most people don't realize or forget, is that then you will have to regenerate a new .JSON file for that aircraft, otherwise the new sound files won't be called-up when you load the aircraft into the sim. There are a number of freely available .JSON file generators which makes that process very quick and easy, such as the one I have attached below.

This is how I've successfully replaced the sounds for the Carenado Beech 18 and FlyingIron P-38.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post

If there is a sound set that you like from FS2004/FSX/P3D, simply backup and then delete the existing sound folder you want to replace, and then insert the new sound set folder that you wish to use. At this point, however, you're not done! The final step, which most people don't realize or forget, is that then you will have to regenerate a new .JSON file for that aircraft, otherwise the new sound files won't be called-up when you load the aircraft into the sim. There are a number of freely available .JSON file generators which makes that process very quick and easy, such as the one I have attached below.

This is how I've successfully replaced the sounds for the Carenado Beech 18 and FlyingIron P-38.
    I will look into this. At this point I would even be happy with the sounds from the Beaver, and I did try swapping out the sound folder. BUT, you are correct, the json file never came into my thinking. - Kenneth

Out of interest, which sound files did you use on each of those aircraft ?

If you do John's trick you should also look through the sound.cfg file to make sure all wav files referenced are in the folder. Many Fsx and P3d planes used some stock sounds that were in the sim's main sound folder, especially for things like touchdowns. You have to fetch them from those folders and copy into your msfs plane's sound folder, before you generate the new layout.json.

August

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Out of interest, which sound files did you use on each of those aircraft ?
    For the P-38, I have used the sounds from the Milviz FSX/P3D version. For the Beech 18, I used the Gary Smith-produced sounds included with Milton Schupe's AT-11 (though I have since reverted back to the original Carenado product sounds, which I have warmed up to - it's nice to have all of the switch clicking, lever moving, window open sounds, etc.).

For the P-38, I have used the sounds from the Milviz FSX/P3D version. For the Beech 18, I used the Gary Smith-produced sounds included with Milton Schupe's AT-11 (though I have since reverted back to the original Carenado product sounds, which I have warmed up to - it's nice to have all of the switch clicking, lever moving, window open sounds, etc.).
    Thank you. None of that is available to me, though I'm reasonably happy with the P-38 sound effects, and have yet to buy the Beech. Thanks again for the info.

John, thank you so much for sharing that information, I managed to find my old Milviz P-38 sounds (both the FSX and P3D versions) and got them to work. Now my P-38 model is reinstalled and back in use.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

one thing I've noticed when bringing in legacy sound sets is that the volumes tend to be much louder, so I've had to dial them back in either the legacy sound.cfg or the WAV files themselves.

Also, it is possible to have a hybrid set -- a blend of legacy and modern. You can have individual WAV files governed by the legacy sound.cfg and sounds from a WWise pack using sound.xml. You can then edit the sound.xml to suppress sounds that the sound.cfg is managing. (And as mentioned above, one must always re-make the json file)

- dcc
    - -

Members who have read this thread: 4