Flight Replicas P-40N on Marketplace - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight Replicas P-40N on Marketplace

15 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

15 (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

15 (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Just posted an update to the Hep Cat:

Screenshot (1457) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1458) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

The P-40N is now on sale at the Marketplace for -54% off the regular price (for those tempted by Jankees great
    repaints but put off by the regular price).

Ooooh, thanks for the heads up, RobM! That's a "buy it even though you have two P-40s already" price.

Downloading my purchase now!

That seemed like a good price point, so I just bought it too. I was disappointed, and feel this plane is not even worth $13.

Some of the problems I experienced with it are:
    - The ailerons on the modern version are still borked, making it useless.
    - On the normal version, only 9 of the 12 provided skins show up in the Liveries options. Missing are the RCAF, Brazil, and one other option. I was able to get the RCAF textures to show by copying them over one of the schemes that do show up. Probably this is a simple fix if we could edit the aircraft.cfg file, but we can't.
    - The mixture control has only 2 positions, full rich and idle cutoff. It can't be set to auto rich, auto lean, or any intermediate provision. It doesn't work with the usual mixture axis, I had to mouse over the mixture control knob which is usually screened by the throttle.
    - The prop pitch does not function as a constant speed prop, it varies with throttle setting and the prop pitch control has relatively little effect. There is no way to get the prop to redline even at full throttle, and at reduced power settings for landing, it won't achieve anything like full fine pitch.
    - The engine runs even with the fuel selector on OFF.
    - The flight model feels dumbed down relative to the old FSX/P3D product. The sounds in the old product were better as well. The plane was so easy but boring to fly that I thought my sim's assistance settings might have been reset to Easy, as sometimes happens after an update. But no, the plane is just easy and boring.

I hope some patches are on the way, otherwise this was a waste of $13.

August

Hi K5083/August, thanks for the feedback, always appreciated. The update has been with MSFS for a while now - it's up to them to determine when it'll be released, but hopefully it this will be soon. No idea why some liveries are not showing - they all do here, and there haven't been other reports at all - if others are missing textures, let us know at the support email, and we'll look into it. Regarding mixture, there seems to be only two way to have mixture in MSFS - the full-range adjustment aka as per a Cessna 172 and the like, or auto mixture. Auto mixture was picked as it's closest to what was used in a P-40N, although not accurate, of course. If we can find code that allows full authenticity, there'll be another update. The same sort of thing goes for the prop pitch. As for the fuel selector, when loading the aircraft, switches should be checked that their position is correct for pre-start. Then the fuel selector works as it should. For some reason MSFS loads it as already on. Sounds are from MSFS's P-51. As for being easy to fly - as a pilot myself (but not of the P-40!) I find most MSFS handling to still be not particularly realistic (although it's getting better). If anyone here has been out flying a real C-172, and then gone home and hopped into the sim right afterwards and flown the C-172, you'll know what I mean. When doing the FSX/P3D version, I met with a current P-40N pilot, who has since also published a video of himself flying the P-40N, and in my opinion this model should be handling very close to the real one - and won't be that difficult to fly. Opinions may differ, of course. When doing the Super Cub, for example, I think we had the input of six real Super Cub pilots, who were sim pilots, as well- and other real Super Cub pilots still complained!

Incidentally, if anyone hasn't seen it already, here's Dave Hadfield's well-narrated video of himself flying the P-40. The P-40 is also available for rides, if you're in the Ottawa/Gatineau area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTQkaTgJLt4

Still my favorite P-40 video, since watching as a kid in the mid-90s, being Jeff Ethell's warbird checkout in the P-40. I always found it great his referring to the P-40 as being "a lot like a Pitts, with an Allison engine on the front", due to how fast and easy it will roll (he refers to the Mustang flight characteristics as being "locked in cement" by comparison).

There is also of course the excellent three-part Kermit Weeks "Kermie Cam" series of videos of flying his TP-40N.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8emUYDyoO8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPxPcbetZhk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpMIAPDSaZs

I don't know if you managed to watch the Hadfield video, but he mentions the great roll rate, as well. Describes the Spitfire's roll rate in the same terms as Hinton describes the P-51's. The published info I could find for the P-40N indicated 80 degrees per second (although not at what altitude, weight, airspeed, etc..).

It's great to see devs taking constructive criticism in stride and responding positively. That's not always the case.

I agree, thank you for your thoughtful response, Mike.

Perhaps my reactions to the MSFS product are conditioned by your FSX/P3D versions which has always been among my favorite warbirds. As ported into MSFS via Legacy Importer, I was comfortable with the mixture and pitch controls and the general handling. True, it did not have auto mixture, but the manual mixture at least allowed one to lean for taxi and cruise in the normal manner. I guess I can respect your decision on that. Prop pitch seemed to work perfectly fine in the port-over and to my knowledge, the P-40 did not have an auto pitch setting the way, for example, the Bf 109 did, so I'm not as sure why you went that route there.

I do agree that a lot of planes in MSFS are unrealistically difficult, and even if I would set the dial on the P-40 to somewhat more challenging, I can concede that's a judgment call. The P-40 was said to be more difficult to fly than a P-51, especially with respect to instability in yaw, which was never cured by enlarging the fin (P-40K) or lengthening the fuselage (P-40L/M/N). Trainees used to say that the progression from T-6 to P-40 (used as an advanced trainer) to P-51 was in decreasing order of difficulty at each step, rather than increasing as one might expect. I guess I would advocate for a more challenging flight model mainly to situate it among other planes in the "MSFS universe" and not necessarily because it would be more accurate in absolute terms.

One time when I visited VWoC at Gatineau I lingered a bit late in the afternoon as I saw some preflight prep being done on a couple of the aircraft. At length a 30-something couple arrived with kids and grandpa in tow. Overhearing their conversation, grandpa was an old RCAF guy, and clearly the enthusiast of the group. One of the VWoC pilots (not Dave) eventually approached the geezer and asked if he'd ever flown in a warbird. "No, but I'd sure like to." "Well good, because your family reserved you a ride in this Kittyhawk. Suit up! And by the way, we need to do a maint flight on the Hurricane so I hope you don't mind a little formation work." Well you hardly saw a more surprised or happy geezer in your life as his old RCAF flight suit was produced from the trunk of the car. I joined the family and helped them spot the planes going up and down the river during his ride. When they shut down, the old fellow was slow getting out of the plane so they asked, "Are you able to climb out of there okay sir?" and he said, "Sure, I just don't want to!" There's nothing better than that about operating the old birds.

Alas, the VWoC P-40 has been sold off and is no longer there.

Anyway, glad to hear that a patch for some of the issues is on the way. Tonight I will try disabling the ported-over version and JK's repaints, and see whether maybe some of those have been blocking all of your skins from appearing.

Best,

August

I decided to take a closer look at the P-40N in light of Mike's responses and comments. My opinion of the plane has improved somewhat, though I'm still on the fence as to whether it was worth the purchase. To refresh my recollection and compare, I also flew the old P3D product in P3Dv5, as well as the Inibuilds P-40L for comparison. I also looked at some original P-40 pilots' manuals for operating settings and expected performance.

To say some nice things about it first, I think it's visually the best looking P-40 in the sim, with the cockpit being better than the Inibuilds, although the latter is not bad. I was impressed by the surface bump mapping when I got a look at it in oblique sunlight. It is the only one of the three P-40s in the sim currently that sits at anything like the correct angle on the ground due to having proper landing gear lengths when weighted.

Deactivating my ported-over P3D P-40N fixed the issue with some of the skins not showing, so that one's on me.

I copied the sound folder from the FSX/P3D P-40N into the new product, which greatly improved the experience, even at the cost of some of the systems sounds.

Although I accept Mike's explanation for the 2-position mixture control, I still wish he'd done it the old way. Granted, mixture controls in most MSFS aircraft are just something to amuse yourself with, since nobody is too concerned about fuel consumption (if it's even modeled) and there are no consequences like rough running, loss of power, or spark plug fouling for running full rich all the time, at least in most planes. I'd still like to amuse myself with it by having a continuous mixture control, since I'm always trying to build good engine management habits.

I think I figured out how the prop pitch control works, which isn't well explained in the manual. Instead of being continuously variable, it is a controllable fixed pitch unit. Moving the prop pitch level forward increases the pitch as long as you leave it there, moving it aft decreases it, and having it in the center position leaves it alone. There was a MANUAL mode on real P-40s that worked a little like this, but it was only for emergencies. In normal operation it had a standard constant speed unit just like any other, and I would still ask Mike to change it to that. The main problem with the current pitch control is that it does not reproduce the original range of settings.

The 1943 Pilot Training Manual for the P-40 gives the following suggested settings for the Allison powered variants, which are generally consistent with FR's manual for the plane:
    Normal takeoff 45" m.p. 3000 rpm
    Max climb 45.5" m.p. 2600 rpm
    Normal climb 35" m.p. 2500 rpm
    Max cruise 37.2" m.p. 2400 rpm
    Normal cruise 30" m.p. 2300 rpm
    Landing m.p. as needed, 2600 rpm

The FR P-40N with its current pitch control either will not hit these values or will barely reach them, depending on airspeed. (The RPM that you can achieve at a given manifold pressure is influenced by the airspeed, as if it is assisted by a windmilling component.) On takeoff, at 45", I can barely get 2200 rpm out of it up to liftoff speed. It increases to about 2600 rpm at 250 mph, but never gets to 3000. At 35", in a climb at 200 mph and 1,500 fpm, it can only manage 2250 rpm, increasing to about 2500 in level flight. In cruise at 30" with the speed stabilized at around 250 mph, it again is around 2250 rpm. So at cruise settings, it's not terrible, although you shouldn't have to jam the pitch all the way forward just to almost achieve normal cruise settings. Worst is at power settings typical for approach and landing, you won't see more than about 1500 rpm. The result of this is that there's not much power available should you need to adjust your glide slope. Takeoffs and go-arounds are rather anemic, with the engine again not getting to more than 2200 rpm at 45"by the time I cleared the far end of the runway on a missed approach. In contrast, in the Inibulds P-40 with its normal constant speed prop you can maintain 2600 rpm all the way down to the ground, as you are supposed to.

That said, if a coming update fixes the ailerons in the modern version and a few other bugs noted by reviewers such as the fact that you can't adjust the gyro compass without also changing the whiskey compass, and with a sound fix, it would be a fair purchase at the current discounted price. It looks nice and you can have fun with it. I think aerobatics feel a little more realistic than the Inibuilds, with rolls being less axial. I would still have to say that the Inibuilds is a better P-40 because the prop pitch works properly so you can fly it "by the book" and achieve the expected performance. Also the Inibuilds has very nice sounds. With a sound set and prop pitch fix, the two products would be at about parity, maybe with a slight edge to the FR for its good looks and correct ground posture.

August

This is the second plane from FR I bought from the Marketplace and AGAIN I'm very dissapointed. This is not worth even the 13 euros I paid for it. It flies horrible! There is something very wrong with the FDE. At 5 mph the nose comes up and the aircraft ends upside down on the runway. Not flyable! I have nearly all the FR planes in FSX and this experience is completely new for me. In case you're wondering: there is nothing wrong with my system, all aircraft from other developers work and fly correct. I pity the people that paid 27 euros for this!

Cees

Hi Cees,

I have the model and on my rig that horror isn't present at all!

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I also have the FR P-40N with no problems at all. Best to report the issues to Flight Replicas so they can be resolved.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Cees, make sure that the flight model setting in your MSFS settings menu is set to "Modern" (as it should be) and not "Legacy" (which is only intended for port-overs from FSX/P3D). As Tom and Priller have stated, I haven't had any of those issues you describe.

Check your parking brakes. The brakes on this plane are pretty weak and with enough power you can taxi with them on, but they might cause a noseover when you rev up.

August

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    This is the second plane from FR I bought from the Marketplace and AGAIN I'm very dissapointed. This is not worth even the 13 euros I paid for it. It flies horrible! There is something very wrong with the FDE. At 5 mph the nose comes up and the aircraft ends upside down on the runway. Not flyable! I have nearly all the FR planes in FSX and this experience is completely new for me. In case you're wondering: there is nothing wrong with my system, all aircraft from other developers work and fly correct. I pity the people that paid 27 euros for this!

Cees

Hi Cees,

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. I'm not certain it's the aircraft's problem - my own extensive testing, plus the testing that MSFS does separately, surely would have caught something so obvious. All coding and animation are default, nothing fancy in there. I have to assume, as with your PA-11 (I think it was) with the same problem, are tapping into a bug somewhere in MSFS. Since the PA-11's release many months ago, there has only been one other person calling in a similar problem. There have been none for the P-40N, except for the known aileron problem in the Airshow version, the update for which should be out shortly. I can't replicate your experience, and so unfortunately I don't have anything to suggest at this moment. I'm on a server with other developers, and I'll ask around to see what the possible cause could be, and get back to you.

Small update to say I've also asked about your issue on the developer support forum in MSFS.

Mike

Hi Cees, two answers (so far, at least) from the developer support forum at MSFS:

1." It not as simple as the flight model being set to legacy in their settings is it?"

2. "
    And you have tried removing community folder, disconnecting peripherals and removing other market place aircraft. Due to some devs reusing adobo template names etc."

That second answer reminds me a little of the problem in FSX and P3D, when variables from one aircraft wouldn't be re-set when switching between aircraft using the same variables.

Mike

It is solved. It was simple. It was the legacy setting that did it.

Cees

Sorry for all the fuss!

Cees, the reply is really appreciated. Definitely helps others with similar problems. We are all in this together.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Glad it's fixed.

And as for the P-40N update, if all goes well it should be released next Friday. Can't 100% promise this, but it's very likely then.

Mike

On a side note: I don't really understand that for some users, the flightmodel changes to legacy... I had it happen once and now check regularly, especially after sim updates.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Members who have read this thread: 1