Flight Replicas P-40N on Marketplace
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight Replicas P-40N on Marketplace

Flight Replicas P-40N on Marketplace

The Flight Replicas P-40N was finally unleashed from the Marketplace ingestion quicksand... I was interested because I love FR's stuff (had a huge amount of the their P3D catalog), but ouch, it's the third P-40 for MSFS and the most expensive at $27.99? Gonna have to wait for some reviews since I already have two P-40s in the hangar.

People will be happy with the correct pilot though!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

It's the only one that actually looks right/doesn't have numerous visual inaccuracies like the other two MSFS P-40s. It's also the only one to have a fully complete and accurate cockpit - i.e., no details left out, and true to the real aircraft.

I agree about it being the best one out there, but having to pay $28 all over again kind of stings. I have a question: You don't see the beautiful specular lighting effects on the exterior that you do on the FlyingIron Spit or P-40F. Is that a model thing, or texture? Would also hope there's an option to use the default modern military pilot.

Wait - this is on the Marketplace, and I see gun barrels?

As for the pilot, in theory, you should be able to put a modern military pilot in the seat if you choose that as your default pilot in the settings menu. But that would also have you flying a C152 in full flightsuit and helmet.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

That screenshot was from their website -- I haven't bought it yet as I'm just unlikely to fly a third P-40 enough to justify the higher cost -- so the barrels might be gone in the final marketplace release.

They aren't guns, they are blast tubes, and that is the argument that Mike presented to Asobo/Microsoft which has allowed for them to be kept them in (I have purchased the product, and the blast tubes are there). Furthermore, most of the Asobo/Microsoft P-51D's included in the Reno addon actually have 50-cal machine gun barrels protruding from the wings.

In order to use the default MSFS pilot figures, a node will have to be set up. As it is right now, the pilot figure, which is part of the model, can be visibly switched on/off using a couple click spots in the cockpit (the oxygen mask can also be added/removed by clicking on the oxygen regulator valve).

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    The Flight Replicas P-40N was finally unleashed from the Marketplace ingestion quicksand... I was interested because I love FR's stuff (had a huge amount of the their P3D catalog), but ouch, it's the third P-40 for MSFS and the most expensive at $27.99? Gonna have to wait for some reviews since I already have two P-40s in the hangar.

I have a copy of the log book of the pilot that flew this aircraft sent to me by his late wife the pilot was Leonard Victor Waters
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    But that would also have you flying a C152 in full flightsuit and helmet.
    I don't think that would preclude you from selecting a civilian pilot in another aircraft...

What you select in the menus as your default pilot is how you appear in any plane that allows different pilots. I had a screenshot somewhere of two naval aviators in full gear sitting in the cockpit of the DA62 at one time. If you leave the default pilot blank in the menu, then you get whichever pilot is specified in that plane's config files.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    What you select in the menus as your default pilot is how you appear in any plane that allows different pilots. I had a screenshot somewhere of two naval aviators in full gear sitting in the cockpit of the DA62 at one time. If you leave the default pilot blank in the menu, then you get whichever pilot is specified in that plane's config files.
    You do that in your MSFS Settings Tom on the left hand side of the page. You are correct also, if you choose the F/A-18 pilots as default, all of your planes will show them.

I'm off to get that, if complete, I am a big Tomahawk/Warhawk fan.

Cazzie

SOH-CM-2024
    Just went to the MSFS Forum and saw this. I may hold off until the Marketplace puts it on sale. Tom, the barrels are still there in the videos. Asobo cloned the P-51 sounds. 10 liveries so far. But at $27.00 US, I feel in a week or two the Marketplace will have lowered that place a bit. Big Radials kind of set the bar on the P-40 with their B model.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...p-40n/576174/3

Cazzie

Looking forward to this plane, I think it will be by far the best P-40 in the sim to date. The P-40F is OK, but needs a few corrections which it seems unlikely to get. The Big Radials was more of a learning exercise for its devs, IMO not really a payware grade plane. The Flight Replicas FSX P-40N ported over is actually still better than both of them and I'm just waiting to make sure it doesn't have major glitches that need patching before I bite.

August

Right now there is an issue with the aileron control effectiveness in the flight dynamics for the two "modern restored" variants included, which makes them near impossible to fly at the moment. The rest of P-40N's however are just fine. I have noticed that the prop doesn't handle like a true constant-speed prop as it should, and fails to reach 3000 RPM on takeoff - on takeoff it maxes out shy of 2300, but rises above that in a dive. Also, the aileron roll rate, something that the P-40 is known for, seems a tad bit lacking. The ailerons feel more like you're flying a Mustang (block of cement feel) than a P-40 (described by many pilots today as handling like a Pitts with an Allison engine on the front).

Visually, the FR P-40N has all of the right lines, proportions, dimensions, stance, etc., having been built based on the original Curtiss factory drawings. Properly-sized landing gear wheels and struts. Proper contours of the nose, fuselage, wings and tail. Proper windscreen and canopy size and shape. Properly shaped and contoured Curtiss Electric prop blades. Proper thickness of the antenna wire. Proper hardware (screws, nuts & bolts), etc... - all things you typically don't see in other developer's work. Too often I see warbirds developed for MSFS that look more like caricature drawings, than technical/accurate visual recreations of the real aircraft, as in the case with the FR P-40N. Unlike the other two MSFS P-40s, the FR P-40N also has a fully complete authentic cockpit (the IniBuilds P-40F comes close, but the gunsight is severely lacking, and should look like as portrayed in the FR P-40N). I like the way the FR P-40N flies a bit more than the IniBuilds P-40F. I can't compare it to the Big Radials P-40B, as its inaccurate and incomplete visuals have always prevented my interest in buying that one.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; February 18th, 2023 at 10:54.

The P-40 I've been waiting for is finally released. Woohoo! Going to wait until I finish building my new PC (It's a monster). Maybe MS will have the sim link fixed by then. If I fly 20 minutes it shunts me to offline mode, even though I have the highest speed cable internet available. Weird that it didn't happen when I had slower internet, but it's never really worked for me since the update last fall. Hopefully it gets sorted so I can enjoy this bird again (Had the previous version in P3D).

Hi John,
    Despite the issues you reported on "modern restored" variants, this P-40N sounds like a nice rendition of the original aircraft!!!
    Does it include the "Little Jeanne" (F-AZKU) original livery?
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Stéph, "Little Jeane" is not one of the included paint schemes. That one was actually one of the repaints I made for the FSX product. I will look into doing that one and some others for this MSFS release.

SOH-CM-2024

How do you get the pilot in the plane?

I bought it from the store, but only two flight show liveries show in Sim Objects and in the MSFS Aircraft choice and neither had any kind of pilot in it when I went to fly or even after I took off. I read the .pdf and saw where the two click buttons were, but both only gave me the option of removing the pilot and the pilot was not even there? And where are all the liveries I see here? Got some problems here.

Cazzie

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    I bought it from the store, but only two flight show liveries show in Sim Objects and in the MSFS Aircraft choice and neither had any kind of pilot in it when I went to fly or even after I took off. I read the .pdf and saw where the two click buttons were, but both only gave me the option of removing the pilot and the pilot was not even there? And where are all the liveries I see here? Got some problems here.

Cazzie
    The same click spots are used to add & remove the pilot. It only works when the aircraft is on the ground - if you get airborne without the pilot model, you won't be able to load the pilot into the cockpit until you're back on the ground again. The click spot text changes from NO to YES depending on whether or not the pilot model is displayed.

From the main aircraft selection window, there are two versions of the P-40N to pick from - original/wartime, and another based on modern restorations called "airshow". Once you select one of those, then open the liveries selection/menu and choose the paint scheme you want. There are thirteen different paint schemes that can be chosen for the original/wartime model, and two paint schemes for the modern/airshow version.

SOH-CM-2024

All solved except cannot turn landing light off.

I can retract it ,but cannot figure out where or how to turn it off. I'm afraid in the previous post, I was using the Airshow model, which only has two liveries and no pilot in either? Also in the Airshow model I could not bank or turn hardly at all. Everything worked fine in the P-40N package, which had all the liveries shown here also. And she flew wonderfully from Micro west of Stuart, VA to Blue Ridge near Martinsville, VA. I'm old, takes some time.

Cazzie

Attachment 89853Attachment 89854Attachment 89855

Charter Member 2011
    I will look into doing that one and some others for this MSFS release.

Be cool to see a repaint for the NZ Warbirds P-40N!

https://nzwarbirds.org.nz/our-collec...0-n-kittyhawk/

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

BUR (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Members who have read this thread: 1