Flight Replicas P-40N on Marketplace - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flight Replicas P-40N on Marketplace

P-40N update is live in the Marketplace and the airshow variant now has the awesome added feature of working ailerons. Flies like butter. Well, flies like a high-powered WW2 fighter, but you know what i mean.

Also, if you haven't picked it up, reminder it's just $12.49 during the current Marketplace spring sale.

Well, crap. The airshow model's fixed, but the camera is three feet behind the seat in the WW2 model.

Since it's a Marketplace plane (ugh), we'll of course have to wait for an official fix. But in the meantime, you can fix it by renaming cameras.cfg to cameras.cfg.back in the Curtiss_P40N folder, and copying the cameras.cfg (make sure you copy, and don't move) from Curtiss_P40N_airshow into Curtiss_P40N.

Reload the sim and the cameras will be fine in the WW2 version.

Thanks Denny!

Cees

Hi, first time posting on SOH after being a happy consumer of the files here. I've been tooling around in the P-40N and I've noticed a couple of things that are confusing me. I should preface this by saying that I certainly have no cockpit time in an actual P-40 (of any marque) but I have read lots of books of pilots' stories and I have lots of experience in warbirds on various simulators. While I would never compare one simulator to another (apples vs. oranges vs. guitars) I do have a generalized concept of how certain planes are "supposed" to behave. Not only that, but I've been on the internet long enough to bear witness to my share of flame wars about details and minutiae (the great Hyperscale war over Aotake comes to mind). So with that out of the way, I'll begin.

The published stall speeds are 75mph in landing configuration and 85mph clean, but with full ammunition load and 50% fuel (default loadout) the FR P-40N stalls at around 65mph in landing configuration and 75mph clean. (admittedly, I had to eyeball this, with the airspeed indicator not having any tic-marks between 50 and 100, I’m assuming that halfway between these two values is a rough “75”).

In every other plane --especially warbirds-- there is a pronounced vibration and buffeting when approaching stall and during the stall. That’s not present here. At 10,000 feet and idle throttle, when entering a stall the plane will simply dip its nose and roll right slightly. Stalls in turns similarly do not produce any flutter, vibration, buffeting or other typical stall behavior.

The published turn rate at full deflection (left and right) at 10,000 feet at 200 mph should be about 85 degrees/second, but my stopwatch shows 94 degrees/second, which IS its optimal roll rate, but only at 260mph.

Dive behavior is also confusing. Pilots reported needing to apply continuous left rudder input during a dive to keep the slip indicator centered (“P-40 pilots are easy to spot, theyre the ones with the overdeveloped left leg”) but in a dive the FR P-40N doesn’t need any rudder input either way.

In sustained turns (260mph, 10,000 feet) the plane barely bleeds any speed at all, maybe a loss of 5-10mph (again, eyeballing), and with very little rudder input needed to maintain attitude.

I do not have specific published figures about maximum g-loading for the P-40 (I have heard it was about +12 G), nor do I have an in-cockpit g-meter, but I do have pilot G effects turned on. If I pull out of a dive around 300mph and use full stick deflection (both smoothly pulled back and "yanked" back), I will trigger a “you overstressed the airplane” crash message, but I will not see any pilot G effects. One of the hallmarks of the entire P-40 family is its structural toughness, so it breaking apart during acceptable maneuvers seems unrealistic.

Very little, if any, rudder input is needed on the takeoff roll, both on paved and grass strips. Earlier, “short-tailed” P-40s had a p-factor issue, but later marques like the -N solved this by lengthening the tail. Still, some amount of rudder input is expected on takeoff... and none is needed.

I'm using the modern flight model with all of the pilot assists turned off. I've tested this using default "clear" weather and compared my notes against available published data (wwiiaircraftperformance, il-2 forum arguments, et cetera) and I accept that my methods may have flaws.

Please take these remarks in good faith. Thanks!

Any chance up uploading to Flightsim.to?
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Any chance up uploading to Flightsim.to?
    Why not upload it to sim-outhouse.com?

Flightsim.to is one of the worst websites I am forced to frequent and wish there was a good alternative so we could boycott it. It is everything I hate in modern website design.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

TiAir and Crispy136's liveries are the one reason I still occasionally visit flightsim.com. (And they're most of the MSFS uploads there...)

You can see all of TiAir's liveries at this link: https://www.flightsim.com/profile/581864-tiar/

Along with this great P-40 livery, he's done some great Bf-109 liveries recently, including nice Swiss and RAF captured paints.

I have a really poor bandwith. Thats the reasion I uploaded my repaints new on flightsim.com and not here on SOH. Again, I deleted all my stuff from flightsim.to due to their rules.

Thomas

This is how F-AZKU looked this summer. Its new owner painted over the "Burma Banshees" nose art (which had no connection to the aircraft's wartime history), and I read that he intends on putting it back into its correct/original wartime "Little Jeane" nose art/cowl markings, as it had been painted prior to its last owner.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    This is how F-AZKU looked this summer. Its new owner painted over the "Burma Banshees" nose art (which had no connection to the aircraft's wartime history), and I read that he intends on putting it back into its correct/original wartime "Little Jeane" nose art/cowl markings, as it had been painted prior to its last owner.

Hello John,
    Do you intend to reproduce "F-AZKU" in her original colors?
    I was so disappointed when they decided to had the Burma Banshees over it... Happy to read that she might be returne to her original post restoration colors!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Hi Stéph, I will be, it will just take some more time to get to it - I am excited to do it, since it will be double the resolution as the old FSX version. With the school year here starting this coming week I'll be back working full time again, so nothing but the weekends to spend time on anything flight sim related. I'm also now taking care of my mom after she fell and broke her leg and shoulder last weekend, so everything's going to be paused for a while on my end I think. There's still some repaints I have for the FI Spitfire that I need to get around to finishing and uploading one of these days, and I've gotten pretty close to finishing my paintkit for the FI P-38 so that I can make the repaints I want to do for that one.

Thank you for your swift reply John!!!
    Take care of your mom and your life, this is what matters by far... Flight sim is just an entertaining game/simulator albeit a very good one!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

I just restart working on F-AZKU 2023...

F-AZKU 2023 by TiAr, auf Flickr

My F-AZKU Banshee Repaint of 2019 will get an update too. I uploaded the wrong file.

Thomas

The F-AZKU is now available in two versions - once with the Banshee skull from 2019 and the current 2023.

I had uploaded a wrong 2019 version - the now available version is the right one. It differs by a more olive green base color and especially with adjusted composite textures. Who had downloaded the old version, should delete it again and use the new 2019 version.

F-AZKU 2019_2 by TiAr, auf Flickr

F-AZKU 2019_5 by TiAr, auf Flickr

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...little-jeanne/

And here the new and current version 2023:

F-AZKU_2023_2 by TiAr, auf Flickr

F-AZKU_2023_1 by TiAr, auf Flickr

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...n-f-azku-2023/

By the way, you can see the real F-AZKU next weekend on Air Legends 2023 at Paris Melun-Villaroche .

https://airlegend.fr/en/the-flightline/

And again, sorry for the little mishap.

Thomas

That looks excellent, Thomas!

During WWII, the aircraft had the number '12' on both sides of the cowling and the name 'Little Jeanne' on the port-side cowling. When Murray Griffiths restored the aircraft in Australia (then registered VH-KTI), it was painted exactly as it looked during WWII, and it remained that way for a little while after it was sold to its first French owner, before they decided to make it more interesting (in their eyes) by repainting the nose with the Burma Banshees artwork. Recently sold to a different French owner within the last year, the new owner, from what I've read, now having repainted the nose in solid OD, intends to put the number '12' and 'Little Jeanne' name artwork back on it again.

Note the bare metal cowl flaps, which is common on the P-40. I believe, if they are painted, the paint just ends up getting burnt/flaked off.

https://www.aerialvisuals.ca/Airfram...p?Serial=70299

In my opinion, this is the best the aircraft has ever looked:

Thank you, if the right markings are on, I will do an update - I already did it, but I wanted to wait until new owner will do it. Next weekend is Air Legend at Paris Melun-Villaroche. Perhaps I will be there...

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    That looks excellent, Thomas!

During WWII, the aircraft had the number '12' on both sides of the cowling and the name 'Little Jeanne' on the port-side cowling. When Murray Griffiths restored the aircraft in Australia (then registered VH-KTI), it was painted exactly as it looked during WWII, and it remained that way for a little while after it was sold to its first French owner, before they decided to make it more interesting (in their eyes) by repainting the nose with the Burma Banshees artwork. Recently sold to a different French owner within the last year, the new owner, from what I've read, now having repainted the nose in solid OD, intends to put the number '12' and 'Little Jeanne' name artwork back on it again.

Note the bare metal cowl flaps, which is common on the P-40. I believe, if they are painted, the paint just ends up getting burnt/flaked off.

https://www.aerialvisuals.ca/Airfram...p?Serial=70299

In my opinion, this is the best the aircraft has ever looked:

+1 John!!!

Working on a 2011 Version of Little Jeanne.

P1000509 by TiAr, auf Flickr
    This photo of mine shows F-AZKU at EDST Hahnweide 2011. And it shows the cowl flaps in detail.

F-AZKU_2011_4 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Thomas

F-AZKU by Thomas Roehl, auf Flickr

I reworked all three Litte Jeanne repaints (2011, 2019, 2023) and put it to one package. Repaints for airshow models included.

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...e-f-azku-pack/

Thomas

P-40 Vr cameras position

Hi

Please could anyone help me with correcting the VR camera view.
    The cockpit viewpoint is fine in standard 2D mode, but as soon as I enter VR the cockpit viewpoint moves up and forwards so now gives the viewpoint of sitting on the nose of the aircraft.

The developer did advise last year that an update to the cameras would be released through the marketplace.
    I've deleted and reinstalled the aircraft but still have the same issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do love flying the P-40

This requires adding an extra camera definition to the end of the cameras.cfg file, which is in your Official\OneStore\fr-aircraft-p40n\SimObjects\Airplanes\Curtiss_P40N folder. The one I did is copied below. Save a backup of your cameras.cfg, open the original in a text editor, and paste the following at the bottom. You will have to do the same thing with the other cameras.cfg file in the Curtiss_P40N_airshow folder. You'll have to redo all of this if there's ever an update for the plane that overwrites this file.

[CAMERADEFINITION.13]
    Title="PilotVR"
    Guid="{ECDC0A85-1F9F-43F8-9FEE-6233263240C3}"
    UITitle="TT:GAME.PANEL_CAMERA_PILOT_VFR"
    Description=""
    Origin="Virtual Cockpit"
    Track="None"
    TargetCategory="None"
    ClipMode="Normal"
    SnapPbhAdjust="Swivel"
    PanPbhAdjust="Swivel"
    XyzAdjust=1