Flight Replicas P-40N on Marketplace - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight Replicas P-40N on Marketplace

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    What you select in the menus as your default pilot is how you appear in any plane that allows different pilots. I had a screenshot somewhere of two naval aviators in full gear sitting in the cockpit of the DA62 at one time. If you leave the default pilot blank in the menu, then you get whichever pilot is specified in that plane's config files.
    Yes, of course if you select the fast jet pilot that's what you will get until you change it. It's pretty simple to do that before you start a flight.

GL(0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

GL(0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Charter Member 2011

Icon14

Any word on an update to fix the broken flight model? I am waiting to hear that this has been fixed before I buy this. Unless some new shiny object catches my attention first - a risk FR is willing to take, apparently.

August

Here is the latest P-40N restoration to fly, which was just completed by Precision Airmotive in Australia and test flown earlier this week by Precision's owner, Doug Hamilton. Having initially been assigned the USAAF serial no. 42-105875, the aircraft served in the Pacific Theatre with the Royal New Zealand Air Force as NZ3184, and saw a fair amount of combat action. Like several of the P-40N's flying today, it has been given the tech order rear seat/dual controls modification with a rear forward-sliding canopy (this all differs quite a bit compared to the original factory TP-40N). Although its restoration was done for Ross Pay (Pay's Warbird Collection), it was just recently sold to a new owner in the United States, which is where it will soon be headed once test flying is completed.

Photo by Gavin Conroy/Classic Aircraft Photography.

The same aircraft can be seen in this wartime photo, closest to the camera, with the cowl number '75'.

The P-40N doesn't seem to be very popular if I look at the number of downloads of my paints for it, which is a pity, since people are missing out on what I think is a wonderful model. Too many P-40's perhaps? No worries, I'll just keep doing paints for it anyway...

kansas (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

kansas (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

kansas (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

kansas (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

uploading soon
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

I think the problem is that it came out at the same time as two other classics, the Bf 108 and the Caribou, and those planes weren't broken and were cheaper. I want all three, but the last I've heard is that the restored variant of the P-40 is "unflyable," so that's a fatal bug and I went with the other two products that were properly tested pre-release. When I hear that the P-40 has received what should have been a day 1 patch, I'm sure I'll drop my coin and get all your paints as well.

August

Marketplace=no buy for me, had they released it elsewhere when it was ready then it would have beaten the inibuilds variant to sale and I would have bought it instead...

Too many releases at the same time. And I'm not a fan of the marketplace. Maybe at a later stage. I also have two P-40's already.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Unflyable? Never noticed that

Sometimes it can take time to reproduce an issue experienced post-product release, and then time to test the solution, and then finally, once in the hands of Asobo/Microsoft, it always seems to take quite a while before they get around to making the updates available to Marketplace products.

This was a message from Mike on the Flight Replicas FB page back on February 24th:

"The stiff ailerons in the Airshow model showed up here once or twice during the original testing, but as it wasn't very often it was just assumed to be an occasional MSFS bug. Spent some considerable time yesterday trying to re-create the problem, and succeeded. Still don't know why it was happening, but, after finally directly switching the flight dynamics files with those in the WW2 P-40N folder, this seems to have corrected the issue. As the original Airshow files were ostensibly identical to the WW2 ones to begin with, perhaps there was a small amount of corruption somewhere in there? As soon as we can get an update out, we will."

Of course if MS/Asobo didn't make the Markeplace addon .cfg files encrypted, it would be a very easy fix for everyone.

Repaints of currently-flying P-40Ns would surely be popular. Before I do any, I'm waiting on the fix to the airshow/restored model flight dynamics.

Jankees, with your repaint of "Kansas City Kiddie III", I've noticed in your screenshots that there seems to be multiples of the various panel lines, rivets, fuel cap, fasteners, holes, etc. The blotches on the wings and tail surfaces also appear brown, rather than medium green as per original.

I would have bought it in a second due to it being from FR, but:
    1) I already have two P-40s
    2) Marketplace and slow updates

FR updated the L-4 Grasshopper late last year and the update still hasn't hit Marketplace. When I pinged them about getting the update since I'd bought direct from his site, he said he wanted to wait for the Marketplace update to hit.

I get the feeling the Marketplace sales were so dramatically higher than direct that that is driving the MP-only releases. But while it probably makes the most sense from a business standpoint, it means that the most core sim fans, who understand the frustrations of Marketplace, are less likely to buy.

Seeing Jankees' repaints, I'm still tempted to pick it up, but given that my P-40B and E already don't get enough airtime, I'll likely wait for a sale, at which point the flight model issues will have been patched too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Jankees, with your repaint of "Kansas City Kiddie III", I've noticed in your screenshots that there seems to be multiples of the various panel lines, rivets, fuel cap, fasteners, holes, etc. The blotches on the wings and tail surfaces also appear brown, rather than medium green as per original.
    Brown? Oh dear, colorblindness strikes again, I'll see what I can do. I often use the colorpicker in PS, but if I pick a wrong color, I won't see it myself... Those lines are odd, can't remember seeing them in the sim, I'll check this evening, thanks for bringing it to my notice!

here's an update:
    Screenshot (1246) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

no more double lines (somehow I copied and moved the layer with the lines in the last paints) and now with what I hope are green blotches.
    However, I personally see no difference, so please, someone please let me know if they are indeed green?
    This is FS34092, rgb 45/67/55, if it's still brown, I'm open for rgb suggestions

It looks excellent, Jankees! I am glad you were able to rectify those items.

On a related note, the preserved P-40N NZ3220 "Gloria Lyons" in New Zealand still has those original Curtiss factory-applied Medium Green blotches on the wings and horizontal tail surfaces (much of the RNZAF-applied olive drab having worn away).

They are Green! I'll leave it to Bomber_12th as to whether the shade is right, but it's definitely very different and looks good. Tried to find a pic of the real plane to compare but they were all b&w.

(Oh, and Bomber_12 replied as I was replying, so all good!)

I've also updated both Thumpers
    Screenshot (1255) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1260) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and added another 40th FG paint:
    Screenshot (1266) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

the updates are now all on FS2

I did finally buy this, and no regrets. The model and especially the VC are brilliant. I just have one problem. Even if the pilot is set at default, I have no pilot showing. It's like a drone... This also happens with the Harvard/Texan.

Anybody has an idea about this?

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

As described in the product manual, there are two screws/nuts along the top of the instrument pane shroud, below the gun sight, which which act as clickspots for adding/removing the pilot. Note, it only works if the aircraft is on the ground.

Further, if you click on the oxygen regulator valve, on/off, it places the pilot's oxygen mask on/off.

Thanks Bomber! I guess I'd better ****...

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

turns out the white leading edges were not exactly the same color (colorblindness again), so I posted another update, sorry about that!

I have been busy removing paint, no more wrong colors! Why did I not think of that earlier?

Screenshot (1329) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1330) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1341) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1343) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

still wip, but nearly done

10B (0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

10B (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

10B (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

10B (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

next project:
    NZ3283 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

NZ3238(0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

NZ3238(0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

NZ3238(0008) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and Flo II was uploaded:
    flo (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Members who have read this thread: 1